I'm on the fence about this, but I have to say that I'm not feeling all that reassured by the GarageCube team at this particular moment. That said, have you found any suitable replacement? As I posted in another thread, I did a brief test with Resolume and it didn't begin to approach the performance that I'm currently getting with Modul8. Granted, I have zero experience with Resolume, but I would have had to be doing something very, very wrong if Resolume is, in fact, faster than Modul8...I think it's fair to say the Module8 is a deadend for many of us. I invested in a late 2012 MacBookPro and replaced the optical drive with a fast SSD, just to have the best platform for running Modul8. I only run at PAL resolution with Photo JPEG 75% encoding. The SSD is committed entirely to video content only.
In spite of my efforts to provide good portable hardware, inmy last festival performance I had a number of embarrassing instances of frame dropping. I've finally come to the conclusion that M8 is not the tool to use for a professional (or even a solid amateur) performance. To make it worse, there has been a lot of conversation in this forum about the problems with *no* reassuring responses from the developers.
I also tried Resolume Arena and I did encode my media with the DXV (IIRC) codec but performance on multiple displays was much, much worse than on Modul8. Are you using just one output or more?I purchased Resolume Arena. Performance is by far "Better". Use proper codec for performance.
I appreciate the suggestion but with all due respect, I think you're missing my point. Screwing around and trying all kinds of different things to get an acceptable frame rate is not what I'm looking for if I'm going to switch away from Modul8. I like Modul8, I know how to use it, I own two sets of licenses, and by and large it does what I need it to do right now. If I had installed Resolume, fired it up, and saw an immediate performance boost, I would have looked at it more seriously. That wasn't the case. Maybe you think I'm lazy for giving up so easily (and maybe I am), but I can't think of a way that I could have made Modul8 as slow as Resolume was short of feeding it a 4K video file (which I've tried, BTW).Try using the more powerful gfx card for your UI.
cvanhoose
Well, as I said, I tried DVX. Versus PhotoJPEG 75% it gave me about a 1 FPS increase. I really don't use PNG+ at all.well, I saw a massive increase in speed in going from png+ to DXV.
I never had stutters in M8 though, but I always stuck to using just 6 layers in the one tab.
DVX seems much better than PNG+ even in M8
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests
Copyright 2017 © garageCube. All Rights Reserved. Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited.