Newb with questions.
  • xjvirkedziex

Newb with questions.

by xjvirkedziex » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:50 pm

Hey all! First time here and literally just discovered projection mapping. I. AM. IN. LOVE! I wish i would have learned about this sooner as this is the most brilliant thing I've discovered! I do have some questions though, that I am hoping some can answer.
    I was wondering from you people with experience,
    1. What is a good starting projector? I aim to do some DJing shows where I could use the projector to do some cool mapping to my facade and some other items I'd put in front of it (boxes, pillars, etc.)
    2. I have yet to play with the software and tinker with it, but how hard/easy would it be to make my mappings/visuals sound reactive? What would it take?
    3. Is it possible to take videos from mikdrop which is in winamp, and place it into mappings? Is that sort of thing even possible?
    4. How do people make such cool textures and designs? Where do you get these things or how do you go about creating it?
    I hope I am not asking too many questions as a noob. Any help or point in the right direction would be truly helpful!
    Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this!
  • anomad
    master

Re: Newb with questions.

by anomad » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:08 pm

Hey all! First time here and literally just discovered projection mapping. I. AM. IN. LOVE! I wish i would have learned about this sooner as this is the most brilliant thing I've discovered! I do have some questions though, that I am hoping some can answer.
    1. What is a good starting projector? I aim to do some DJing shows where I could use the projector to do some cool mapping to my facade and some other items I'd put in front of it (boxes, pillars, etc.)
    . if you want to project on a dj facade in front of you - look at ultra-short throw projectors - they can project very large w/minimal distance to the projected surface. the Hitachi CP-A220N can do a 10' diagonal when it's 20" from the screen. however, if you're doing projection mapping, you might need to have the projector further away so you're not casting too many shadows. decent WXGA projectors can be had for less than $300 - get one and experiment to see if it does what you want it to do.
    2. I have yet to play with the software and tinker with it, but how hard/easy would it be to make my mappings/visuals sound reactive? What would it take?
    . using Modul8 ? not incredibly hard. enabled audio in (in preferences) and see how it affects color, size, movement of the video. though, it might not easily modulate every parameter that you want it to. again, it depends on what you're looking for.
    3. Is it possible to take videos from mikdrop which is in winamp, and place it into mappings? Is that sort of thing even possible?
    . yes - you can run them on windows and send the video out to a capture card and bring them in to modul8. or you can capture them to disk on the windows machine and play the video clips back in Modul8. or, you can run ProjectMilkSyphon (run natively on mac) and import the syphon stream into Modul8.
    4. How do people make such cool textures and designs? Where do you get these things or how do you go about creating it?
    . i'm guessing they research and practice/experiment *a lot*. keep googling and find videos you like and see if they mention they tools they use and go from there.

. good luck!

-james
    (a nomad. )
    Fealiahat

by Fealiahat » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:02 pm

. if you want to project on a dj facade in front of you - look at ultra-short throw projectors - they can project very large w/minimal distance to the projected surface. the Hitachi CP-A220N can do a 10' diagonal when it's 20" from the screen. however, if you're doing projection mapping, you might need to have the projector further away so you're not casting too many shadows. decent WXGA projectors can be had for less than $300 - get one and experiment to see if it does what you want it to do.
    . using Modul8 ? not incredibly hard. enabled audio in (in preferences) and see how it affects color, size, movement of the video. though, it might not easily modulate every parameter that you want it to. again, it depends on what you're looking for.
    . yes - you can run them on windows and send the video out to a capture card and bring them in to modul8. or you can capture them to disk on the windows machine and play the video clips back in Modul8. or, you can run ProjectMilkSyphon (run natively on mac) and import the syphon stream into Modul8.
    . i'm guessing they research and practice/experiment *a lot*. keep googling and find videos you like and see if they mention they tools they use and go from there.

. good luck!

-james
    (a nomad. )
    Thanks a lot for this question! I had the same question!
  • mae4_king

by mae4_king » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:47 am

Projecting on public and private surfaces without permission is illegal. Always research the laws in your area and obtain permission before projecting in public.

The artistic play with light is able to turn anything into a colorful, immersive canvas. Due to the sheer size of surfaces and objects this technology can be used on, and the boundless creative opportunities it offers for designers, artists, and event professionals alike, projection mapping continues to captivate audiences all around the world.
    Is your mission to enhance customer service and make deliveries faster and more secure than your competitors? On this Site you will find real professionals in the industry