Help with my setup
  • mannikin
    activ8 member

Help with my setup

by mannikin » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:27 am

Hi,

In the past I used to just have modul8 on one laptop connected to a Microkontrol. I'd like to be able to add a secondary laptop running Live (for our sequences) and also send information from Live to Modul8 and my synth (see diagram at this link):
    http://www.synfony.com/temp/a2f_setup.jpg

What sort of information can modul 8 receive through this setup? Can it receive the project BPM? Is there anything else I can utilize live for and send to modul8? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks;
    John
    S Y N F O N Y<> S T U D I O S
    powerbook G4 15"
    Tiger / 2GB RAM
    Korg microKontrol
    modul8 V2
    http://www.synfony.com
  • refresh

by refresh » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:05 am

hi,
    i used a similair set up to make this little visual music piece:
    http://stateofnothing.com/phase_trans_3/
    (beware big files i didn't optimize for online viewing)

i triggered the sounds with midi in Live on my laptop while also using live to trigger Modul8 v2. mainly what was being controlled in M8 was video scratching and opacity tweaking by sending CC messages from Live to M8 and also some note on off for switchin clips around. Live was also making the sounds with MIDI and synths (mainly Operator)

Works quite well just map your M8 midi params after you have Live connected via midi and it should be pretty straight forward. I did find it useful to make sure i had a good midi signal on my M8 machine using another app beisdes M8, one that let's you monitor and set MIDI input. In my case I used another copy of Ableton Live and once i was sure i was getting midi in i quit live on the video machine and opened up M8 and then mapped the params..

One nice option may be to use Live to trigger midi loops and apply the random midi filters for note and velocity thus creating a very musical random clip selector/fader that is synced to you clock and thus music.

as far as the clock goes i would just use Live to trigger M8 and M8 doens't need to know about the clock or tempo, it just responds to the MIDI from Live which already knows the clock. it doesn't really need to know the clock anyway that would prolly only be handy if you needed to interface the tempo with a modul (script) parameter..

anyway some thoughts..
  • jm302
    super8 member

by jm302 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:32 am

refresh wrote:i triggered the sounds with midi in Live on my laptop while also using live to trigger Modul8 v2. mainly what was being controlled in M8 was video scratching and opacity tweaking by sending CC messages from Live to M8 and also some note on off for switchin clips around. Live was also making the sounds with MIDI and synths (mainly Operator)

Greetings,

We've been using the same methods for our video show and, like refresh says, it works really well.

Cheers,
    Justin
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist" -- Anonymous

http://www.302acid.com
  • mannikin
    activ8 member

by mannikin » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:39 pm

Great video! :D Appreciate the response. The way I'm using Live right now is playing back "stems" during our live shows. I wasn't plannng on using Live to perform music live (I would if I could grow another pair of hands). However, I would love to be able to
    use some sort of midi track that just sends information to M8. Not sure what that is yet! :? Ideally, I need to extract the "groove" information from my audio tracks and then send that info to M8. Just some thoughts brewing in my head, with no immediate solutions for them.. Anyways, thanks again. I'm going to have to do some experiments and see what I can come up with.

take care;
    J.

refresh wrote:hi,
    i used a similair set up to make this little visual music piece:
    http://stateofnothing.com/phase_trans_3/
    (beware big files i didn't optimize for online viewing)

i triggered the sounds with midi in Live on my laptop while also using live to trigger Modul8 v2. mainly what was being controlled in M8 was video scratching and opacity tweaking by sending CC messages from Live to M8 and also some note on off for switchin clips around. Live was also making the sounds with MIDI and synths (mainly Operator)

Works quite well just map your M8 midi params after you have Live connected via midi and it should be pretty straight forward. I did find it useful to make sure i had a good midi signal on my M8 machine using another app beisdes M8, one that let's you monitor and set MIDI input. In my case I used another copy of Ableton Live and once i was sure i was getting midi in i quit live on the video machine and opened up M8 and then mapped the params..

One nice option may be to use Live to trigger midi loops and apply the random midi filters for note and velocity thus creating a very musical random clip selector/fader that is synced to you clock and thus music.

as far as the clock goes i would just use Live to trigger M8 and M8 doens't need to know about the clock or tempo, it just responds to the MIDI from Live which already knows the clock. it doesn't really need to know the clock anyway that would prolly only be handy if you needed to interface the tempo with a modul (script) parameter..

anyway some thoughts..
    S Y N F O N Y<> S T U D I O S
    powerbook G4 15"
    Tiger / 2GB RAM
    Korg microKontrol
    modul8 V2
    http://www.synfony.com