Koen's Thoughts...
  • Doerak

Koen's Thoughts...

by Doerak » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:13 am

Your program is already great. Very nice to play around with, and it has the potential to be the best VJ app out there. I will help any way I can, so mail me if you think of something I might be usefull for. To start with I came up with this little list of thoughts/features I made up the last two days. I will continue this list while I think of new stuff.

I am not saying the stuff below is THE WAY to implement things. They are just my thoughts ideas. I realize most of the stuff is a-lot-of-work.

Keep up the good work people!

Code: Select all

FEATURES
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Movie Playing
    - Set IN and OUT point in a movie
        - Option: choose them randomly at 1/4 2/4 4/4 BPM
    - Play the movie from IN to OUT in 1/4 2/4 4/4 BPM

Layers
    - Select a new random movie to play in this layer at at 1/4 2/4 4/4 BPM

BPM System
    - Extract BPM from audio in
    - Extract BPM from tapping key (average 4, 8 or 16 taps)
    - Reset BPM Phase if effect is offbeat
    - Adjust BPM by hand (should be very sensitive)
    - Flickering BPM indicator eg: 1..2..3..4..1..2..3..etc

Effects
    - Be able to sync them at 1/16, 1/4, 2/4, 4/4.
    - Presets for effects

Text
    - Text layering animation engine like livetype would be very nice

TECHNOLOGY
    What can you guys do with the new CoreImage from Apple? The filters are superfast, ready and they will be very easy to build in!

A relative easy way to add your own effects. Is this achievable by a language like python? If you have to program them in C, there won't be much filters because not much people have the skills (I realize this is much work)

I noticed that when I select some controls, the output is stuck for a few ms. This will be very frustrating during a live gig. Is there anything to do about this?

INTERFACE
    KEEP IT UP. The interface is slick and space-saving.

I would like to use my whole screen on a Powerbook, although it is not needed yet.
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:12 pm

Thank you for your suggestions!

In fact, most of your wishes are already on our to-do list (especially the text and the BPM part)!

Of course the CoreImage technology of Tiger is something increadibly cool for an application like Modul8. And be sure that we will implement it as soon as we can get the SDK from Apple. Also the auto-vectorization of GCC can also speed up quiet a bit Modul8 in areas of the project that we don't have the time to vectorize by hand. Tiger will bring pretty cool things for real-time video and we are pretty excited about it.

Yves.
    Last edited by yves@garagecube on Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    yves@garagecube
    master

Re: Koen's Thoughts...

by yves@garagecube » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:14 pm

Doerak wrote:I noticed that when I select some controls, the output is stuck for a few ms. This will be very frustrating during a live gig. Is there anything to do about this?

Please could you elaborate a bit. What controls exactly ? What codecs did you use ?

Yves.
  • babastus

by babastus » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:14 am

I expected to find mention of Core Image somewhere on these forums, and sure enough here it is, so will use this thread for my question...

In looking to upgrade my setup I noticed that the current iBooks' 9200Mobility GPU does not support Core Image, whereas the PBs' go5200 will. Obviously better GPU = better performance, but am I right to assume this difference will greatly exaggerate the performance gap between these systems once running a Core Image aware version of Modul8?

The 2nd question is with regards to the mention of python for internal scripting. Following my recent adventures in scripting my appetite has been whet and I was wondering if the use of a fairly easy to develop script language will allow for enhanced user interaction at a low level. I was imagining such scripts loading images or altering the settings of effects across a time base; is this reasonable conjecture or is your use of python at a different level to my interpretation?

Thanks for what seems an excellent application all the more so considering the recent release.

P.S On the topic of scripts there seems to be an error in the registration script, Line 11 and it's related to SMTP. I could still create an account, I guess someone isn't getting an email notification though.
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:52 pm

About CoreImage: We plan to implement it as soon as possible. However we don't have an API or technical documentation now.
    It's true that better GPU helps a lot an application like Modul8 or a technology like CoreImage. Now Modul8 does not do everything with the GPU, only the rendering, the blending and some effects. There is still many effects that are achieved through the processor (Altivec when available). That's why Modul8 still works on nearly all Macintosh even with a good old Rage128. The big question : is CoreImage able to emulate its filters with the CPU when the GPU is not supported ? I don't have the answer at this time. If it's the case, you will still be able to use the CoreImage effects even on a non-supported GPU...

About Scripting: Opening Python scripting is something that we planned from the beginning. So yes your conjecture is reasonable. Scripting would allow much more precise control over a Modul8 scene. Unfortunately we have many higher priorities right now so I don't think you'll see scripting this year. But we really want to have it!

Yves.
  • babastus

by babastus » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:51 pm

Excellent, thanks for the reply. I didn't expect these to be high priorities for a v1 app, merely my first, wild thoughts when I saw the technologies, and are features that would put Modul8, IMHO, into a league of its own, something it definitely seems geared up to accomplish.
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:22 am

Ok, I corrected the problem with the SMTP, thanks.

babastus wrote:P.S On the topic of scripts there seems to be an error in the registration script, Line 11 and it's related to SMTP. I could still create an account, I guess someone isn't getting an email notification though.
    Boris * garageCube team