a few questions about Modul8 settings
    Dimettry

a few questions about Modul8 settings

by Dimettry » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:01 pm

Hi all.
    I gave the Modul8 demo version a shot and I like it better than Resolume which I use. But there are a few problems:
    I cannot find how to mix layers with the help of blending mode (add,multiply,etc) you may know from Photoshop or Resolume etc.

I cannot understand how to make the module affect only one layer and not the whole composition and whether it is possible to customize the interface in order to get a small picture near the layer showing what is on the layer wihout the titles or the preview window,and whether it is possible to add the title of footages under each of them in the media window.

Thank you!
  • Lupin
    garageCube team

by Lupin » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:35 pm

this is not the same philosophy with the current version of modul8 you don't have blend modes in Modul8 but you can use filters to get the same aspect as you are used to mix with resolume. what you can do in Modul8 you can't do in resolume is to use 32bit transparent video or pictures (even native PNG or PSD files) and don't forget you can build your set upt to 10 layers...
    the only blend modein modul8 is in the global mask Module where you can apply different blends.

you don't need thumbnail previw in front of each layer coz whenyou click on any layer the related media is focused on the media set window

I was using resolume like you before i switched to M8 and it changed the way i mixe my videos (and pictures). My mixes are more rich even if use less effects or course i miss individual masks and blends too but i can deal with that tahnks to the amazing possibilites of modules and maybe on the V3 we can excpect blend modes, global effects and indivual maks :)
    hehe pleeeease boris , pleeeeease Yves, add theses features on the version 3 :D
    Gael Abegg Gauthey (former known as Lupin)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/abegg-gauthey/
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:39 am

Lupin wrote:you don't need thumbnail previw in front of each layer coz whenyou click on any layer the related media is focused on the media set window

Yeah, and the "layer" mode of the preview pane is there for a reason ;)
    Dimettry

by Dimettry » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:59 pm

It’s a shame, that Modul8 can’t use blending mode, which is one of the most important for me.

And it’s necessary to see the layer’s preview, without clicking it while you work with midi, if you for example adjust transparency of several layers, in Modul8 you need to keep in head all the time, where each layer is because if at home you can hardly make out the title, in the darkness of the club on a little screen it will be very inconvenient, and it’s difficult to remember the names of all sources, if you have then 100 of them. And if the footages lie in different fills of the media window then you can’t do without using layer mode in the window of preview, which is highly inconvenient, while working with midi.

Yet I’d like to get information about applying modules to one particular layer, module vibrator for example, which is present in demo version. Is it possible to make him affect only one layer, and not the whole composition.
    Or the modules can’t be applied to only one layer?

One more question. Is it possible to animate layer options: transparency, speed, scale, rotation etc. linear or using Audio analysis or bpm, as you can do it in resolume?
  • Lupin
    garageCube team

by Lupin » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:50 am

mmh i understand yours nees but you can build your own module to controle several layers or quickly change the midi binding. You know, you can controle multiple properties with one midi signal. Don't forget ti's a layer oriented philosophy ,ot a media oriented philosophy . if you chose to work wih modul8 you have to change some habits (similar to someone who worked with win XP and turn to mac OS X).
    i don't understand what 's the probleme with midi and click. if you bind M8 correctly a midi signal will do the same action as a click.
    what type of midi controler are you using?
    Yet I’d like to get information about applying modules to one particular layer, module vibrator for example, which is present in demo version. Is it possible to make him affect only one layer, and not the whole composition.
    Or the modules can’t be applied to only one layer?

you can either apply controls on a single layer or on the whole composition. all you need is to create your own modules. on the 2.5 version , you can distinguish Layer control modules from Master control modules. Layer based are noted L-... and Master based ones M-....
    everything is expained in modul8 documentation PDF if you wanna create your custom modules.

One more question. Is it possible to animate layer options: transparency, speed, scale, rotation etc. linear or using Audio analysis or bpm, as you can do it in resolume?

Sure it is :) ! go to the online library and download modules realted to bpm and audio. id you download the 2.5b version, you'll find bpm modules from the module library. and as i told you before if any feature is missing, you can build your module :)

maybe it is wise to keep your current VJ set with resolume and try to build new sets with Modul8. Every VJ softwares are different: they are similar to music instruments, and you must get the best expression possibilites from each instrument. Arkaos is great to use with a 7octaves midi keyboard it's a "triggering video/effect instrument"
    while Flowmotion is a great video sequencer, Resolume is a fantastic mask/effects oriented VJ softaware, max/msp/jitter is a great tool to create interactive video/sound installations.
    modul8 is at the crossroads of all currentVJ softwares all you need is imagination and a lot of practice to embrace amazing possibilites of modul8. If you work with the 2.5 version 'im sure you'll find almost everyting you need. and if you need to do a lot of things at once and have a modular controler you should have a look at the Lemur
    If you need help with modules please ask us anb post your needs in the module part of the forum ;)
    Gael Abegg Gauthey (former known as Lupin)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/abegg-gauthey/
    Dimettry

by Dimettry » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:52 pm

Lupin wrote: You know, you can controle multiple properties with one midi signal. )

I mean oteher thing. For example i got 5 mixed layers
    and i wanna to:
    for the first layer - decrease transparency
    for the second - encrease blur
    for third - colorized it into red
    in the same time!
    But I have to see is layer i rooled is quite?
    I have no prewiew near the layer (like in Resolume)
    so while i m clicking layers i m loosing time and i can loose moment of changing my videomix folowing music...

Now i trying Modul8-demo for decide is it right to by this?
    Because of its real money for russian vjs

I like resolulme"s features and module8 features i like too
    I have 2 understand
    can MODULE8 replace Resolume?
    Now i cant estimate bacause of i cant get 2.5 version
    and i have no access to modules libruares (like u advice)
    cause its cast money...

What to :(?

PS:
    Is it possible to realize layers blending modes by modules?