DJ & VJ Simultaneously on same MBP - M8 & Traktor
  • VJnutcracker
    super8 member

DJ & VJ Simultaneously on same MBP - M8 & Traktor

by VJnutcracker » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:12 pm

Has anyone had a go at using M8 & dj software at the same time, i sometimes get asked to DJ at events i'm vjing at, ideally i'd like to use Traktor and M8.

My rig is a 2.33ghz MBP, Codanova VMX VJ midi board, Edirol FA101 Firewire audio interface.

Any gig experiences, glitches, crashes?
  • bighairmusic

by bighairmusic » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:54 am

I'm thinking of doing the same using Ableton Live but i would imagine its going to be safer having a separate machine for VJing, as my ableton sets are pretty large.
  • theinsanemulatto

by theinsanemulatto » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:46 am

I just practiced for four hours projecting clips on
    Modul8 and mixing songs on Traktor 3. I was using my 2 GHZ macbookpro, projecting thru DVI on an HD projector and using the eigth inch jck out for sound. I experienced only minor glitches due to the fact that I was using mpeg videos with sound output while playing songs in Traktor. When I used .mov clips I had no problems. And I was using big video clips 5 minutes plus. Go for it.
  • bighairmusic

by bighairmusic » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:29 pm

are you sending midi from Traktor to Modul8? I have been trying this with Ableton LIVE and the timings are a little stuttery in Modul8s response to IAC midi notes sent...
  • Niall

by Niall » Sat May 05, 2007 3:58 pm

yeah, I did it once with modul8 and traktor.
    I had to keep switching between each program with apple+tab because I was just using my keyboard, but I can report no big performance problems, as long as you've got the ub traktor. Although I still haven't figured out how to sync both, I figure since traktor has a send midi clock option, and modul8 has a receive, it should be possible, but I don't know how.
    How is your audio interface anyway?
    I'm looking for one at the moment.
  • VJnutcracker
    super8 member

by VJnutcracker » Mon May 07, 2007 10:42 am

The edirol fa-101 is prety good, although i havent tried any multitrack recording yet, i've got a live gig coming up where i'll record 8 tracks from the desk bus.

If you're considering buying one pm me, i put a bid on one on ebay not thinking i'd win, then bought a brand new one, but i did win the auction so i have a spare, as new in the box if you want to make me an offer before i put it on ebay