Modul8 on MacBook 13"
  • dystopik

Modul8 on MacBook 13"

by dystopik » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:19 am

Hey,

I need to move from an iMac (17" model 1,3GHZ, 1GB Ram, video card ATY/Radeon 1600 with 164 MB dedicated memory) to a MacBook (2 Ghz, 1 GB Ram, Intel video card 64MB shared with main memory).

My question is should I notice a drop in Modul8 performance (due to a lower graphic capacity on MacBook)??
    Anyone running Modul8 on MacBook. I have seen some previuos post around this, but no conclusion really.

Waiting for your advice and wisdom. :))
    yves@garagecube
    master

Re: Modul8 on MacBook 13"

by yves@garagecube » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:53 am

Well, if you are doing a lot of intensive GPU processing with Modul8 (CoreImage filters, particles, heavy matrix, etc.) you will see a performance drop.
  • VJnutcracker
    super8 member

by VJnutcracker » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:54 am

I have used m8 on a 2ghz black macbook (1gb ram, shared graphics) and it wasnt very satsfactory for me, i encountered low frame rates with only 3 layers of 320x240 sorenson 3 encoded clips.
  • dystopik

by dystopik » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:53 am

thank you for your fast reply

unfortunately I doesn't sound very good what you are saying. I use some coreimage filters and matrix, not to intensive though!

but if some of you report frame dropping when using only 3 layers I would assume that macBooks are not very usefull for using modul8

is there a way to improve performance? perhaps 2GB ram would help? perhaps something elese??

the only reason for me wanting a mac portable is using modul8 for live mixing, but unfortunately a macbook pro is quite expensive
  • tkalleder

by tkalleder » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:19 pm

i think it should run quite well on the macbook. Haven't tested it yet on my dad's one but modul8 runs really fine on my 12" iBook. So why it shouldn't on the MacBook?! If you use the right codecs and don't play around with the core-image-filters it should be no problem...

I've got an iMac 17" with a 2,16GHz C2D and soon 2GB instead of 1GB RAM and I think its the best compromise between mobility and performance. And the reason why I bought it is, it costs around 600 € less than a MBP in the AoC-Store.
  • dystopik

by dystopik » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:32 pm

hey tkalleder

iMacs are indeed powerfull enough to allow you to play with Modul8 as you wish (even hardcore matrix & filters),

the only thing with having an iMac for live mixing is that is difficult to move around (I also need to carry another laptop, a controller, etc)
  • VJnutcracker
    super8 member

by VJnutcracker » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:33 am

I've also been using an imac up to now, carrying it around isnt too bad if you have a good carry bag, i bought one from www.gigskinz.com (model GSMIXL) which carries an imac, controller and cables, its fur lined so protects the imac well.
    It also has a laptop pocket which fits up to a 17 inch mbp, leaving the big pocket for a controller, camcorder & cables.

I imagine the macbook would work better with more ram but it is my understanding integrated graphics cards that slows it down.
  • tkalleder

by tkalleder » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:33 am

I'm carrying my iMac with it's original Apple-Product-Box, because the 17" is quite handy...
    But I should think about the carry bag because iMac+iBook+Controller+Cam+Tripod are all together really bulky and make me feel like a mule :P
  • cerbellum

by cerbellum » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:46 am

I did a gig a couple of weeks ago, 10x4m screen, (about 16:9) output, good quality, multiple layers, matrix, particles, ... it ran like a charm on my white 2ghz core2duo with 2gigs of ram.

I was used to my 12inch powerbook (latest version) and it just blew it away without any doubt.

The ram really does make the difference (btw, don't buy it from apple, you can get it way cheaper)

good luck!