Industrial Design goes VJ
  • cerbellum

Industrial Design goes VJ

by cerbellum » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:20 am

Hi guys,

Being an industrial design student I'll be working on my final project in my next (and last) year. At the moment I'm in the idea-generation phase of this project which is where you drop in. With VJ'ing being one of my passions I decided I want to work in this sector and design a specific product focussed on the VJs needs.

The question: What are you looking for in the hardware you use? I'm talking controllers, projectors, screens, transport concerns (walking around with 2Mac Pros ain't always that confortable), ... every teeny-weeny problem you encounter can be a great input for a new product.

I'd like to work with a sensor-based approach for controllers (hence my personal project with the Wii-controller) combined with the usual knobs and faders but all in a modular package. My personal dream for a controller would be to have the possibility to adjust it to my own needs, I love my Korg but there are always some buttons/keys/sliders that aren't put to use or that are actually lacking. Anyways, that's what I've been thinking of, I need more input/VJ "problems", things that could be better, help me, help you :)

Shoot! Your input is greatly appreciated

Greets,
    Kevin
    http://www.ramdac.be
  • lamepantallas
    ultim8 member

by lamepantallas » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Ok, what about an external effects processor hardware that takes the modul8 video output and as it goes out, you can modulate diverse effects not available on the moul8 modules or one that can alliviate the computer usage...DJ have an external effects box for sounds.. why not for VJs..

atte.
    lamepantallas (screenlicker)
  • bratch
    super8 member

by bratch » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:49 pm

Yes, this would be a good idea. A M8 with timeline and hardware that could manage up to 10 HD movies with no slow down,that would make slowmotion smooth, a kind of arkaos box or pandora's box (www.coolux.de) but much more powerfull The Modul8 box !!! A brand new beast with several Mac Pro processorsinside...+ you could link them easily in order to make huge panoramas. A magic keystone on each output....it's good to dream ! :D
  • lamepantallas
    ultim8 member

by lamepantallas » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:08 pm

yeah i know.. thats what we are here for
  • cerbellum

by cerbellum » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:45 am

Thankies for this input already, sincerely appreciate it!

How about controllers, are you all happy with your existing controllers? Do they fully match your needs? Would an extra sensor based controller be of any use, my opinion says it would but it's not mine that matters :)

Greets,
    Kevin
  • VJnutcracker
    super8 member

by VJnutcracker » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:45 am

A better Entrancer would be good, i love the touchpad interface