Is this possible with Modul8?
  • BlindFaith

Is this possible with Modul8?

by BlindFaith » Sat May 26, 2007 12:41 am

Hi,
    I've been lurking around these parts for a while now so i've decided it's time to register as i have a question. I'm about to make the switch from Resolume when the new MBP upgrades happen having never used Modul8 before. It seems to be the perfect program to do what i need to do. It would be a bonus for me if it could do this:

That's playing multiples layers of video on different planes from 1 projector. If it is possible in Modul8 I'm wondering if it's difficult to achieve and would you need an expensive projector.

Thanks in advance,
    BlindFaith
  • singer

by singer » Sat May 26, 2007 1:50 am

perhaps I'm missing something here but this would probably be extremely simple with modul8. All 10 layers in modul8 can be transformed in 3d space (scale emulates Z space) and rotated on all 3 axes.

Beyond the 3d transforms there are also filters for "corner pin" effects which would allow you to skew the layers to fit on your surfaces perfectly.

Pretty cool picture! good luck with it. There's a fully functional demo (save disabled I think) if you haven't already tried it :P
  • BlindFaith

by BlindFaith » Tue May 29, 2007 3:56 am

Thanks Singer,
    That clears it up for me. The z-space scaling was confusing me a bit. Haven't got access to a mac at the moment so I can't try out the demo just yet.

Yeah, i found that pic on another forum(or was it here?) and i think they said it was home made software. It got a lot of ideas flowing in my head. I reckon there's a lot of artistic possibilitie for this type of display. Really looking forward to getting stuck in!

Has anyone tried this type of thing with modul8 before? Any findings?

Thanks
    B-F
  • spongemonkey

by spongemonkey » Tue May 29, 2007 9:59 am

not exactly the same, but along the same line of application is a bit featured over on Modul8.us
    http://modul8.us/
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Tue May 29, 2007 10:46 am

Might be hard to deform it perfectly since modul8 has only one fugue point and fixed camera "lens" stuff, but one has to try :)
  • BlindFaith

by BlindFaith » Wed May 30, 2007 4:55 am

spongemonkey wrote:not exactly the same, but along the same line of application is a bit featured over on Modul8.us
    http://modul8.us/

Thanks for that. Very interesting indeed.

Akira wrote: Might be hard to deform it perfectly since modul8 has only one fugue point and fixed camera "lens" stuff, but one has to try Smile

Not too sure what you mean by this as I've never used the software before. If you could elaborate a bit, that would be cool.

Muchas Gracias,
    Pura Vida
  • singer

by singer » Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 pm

you don't have the opportunity to change the depth of field when using the layer transformations, so you might find it hard to get the layers to match up right with rotation and scale only.

However, there's a CoreImage filter called "perspective transform" that will allow you to skew the layer exactly as desired by placing its corners where you want.
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Thu May 31, 2007 4:47 am

Hi,
    I made one special module for this kind of applications.
    It will be soon on the online library.
    Boris * garageCube team
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:27 pm

boris wrote:Hi,
    I made one special module for this kind of applications.
    It will be soon on the online library.

YEs, I want to see this one.
    Remember the installation at the Hotel? It could still use it ;)

Cheers!
  • BlindFaith

by BlindFaith » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:06 am

That's cool about the new module...

I have another question about this. Just say i have everything set up the way i want with different layers projecting on different surfaces and then i record my sequence out of modul8 and burn it to DVD. If i hook up a DVD player to the same projector in the same position will it match up like before? I realise that some quality will be lost in the dvd encoding or will it? This is just to free up my laptop to be working on other things.

I hope i have explained it ok.
    Thanks again dudes for your help.