TH2Go and VGA cable lengths?
  • JJHP3
    activ8 member

TH2Go and VGA cable lengths?

by JJHP3 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:13 pm

Hi All

As I debate buying a TH2Go for a multi-projector installation, I began wondering about cable lengths... I hope someone has some experience to share.

Matrox seems to want us to use a 2 foot VGA from the computer to the box then use longer cables to the projectors. In my case, I'm planning on the 3 projectors hanging from the ceiling with the computer on the floor. My question is: how about running a high quality 50 foot CVGA to the TH2G with shorter VGAs to the projectors? Seems more economical than 3 50 footers. Any recommendations on a high quality manufacturer of VGAs?

Thanks!

John
  • toby

by toby » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:53 pm

hi John,

we use the matrox 3 split version vga and got good experience with
    the output signal for 12 meters.
    50 food ~ 15 Meters

But it depends mostly on the Resolution on this long Way.
    We only use 800x600 or 640x480 by 50Hz or 60Hz.

Our experience shows that 800x600 60Hz looks much better
    then 1024x768 60Hz - which looks really soft and gray.

What we also recommend is to use a signal extender - this little boxes
    pushes the signal for long distances with more saturation and contrast.
    Depends on your Budget , )

We couldnt see a big difference between cheap and expensive cables.

toby
  • vjrei

Important thing about TH2G

by vjrei » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:01 am

The TH2G was create for gamers, that mean that they consider video ram based on gaming experience and technical issues based on gamers needs.

VJs are using the TH2G in environments other than those. That mean that the TH2G may not work as they show in their web site.

The VJ field of work is way more demanding, beside the TH2H we will need faster drives and better video cards just because:

1. Our footage is way more complex compared to the ones a video game has.
    2. We demand way more memory from the video cards and the computer in general.

So, won't expect to find all your answers at the Matrox web site.

Then, you will need video booster boxes every 25 feet to keep your signal with power, otherwise you will get a lot of noise and poor color on your screens.
  • frederic

by frederic » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:27 am

As I post it on the french forum I've used the TH 2go with two cable of 20 meters and the last one of 30 meters it's long distance I known (I used an amplificator for the 30 meters one). It works perfectly. No noise ! But surely a better contrast and color gain with the amplicator even if the result is raelly good on the 30 meters without it.
  • sonicslice
    activ8 member

Re: Important thing about TH2G

by sonicslice » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:00 pm

vjrei wrote:The TH2G was create for gamers, that mean that they consider video ram based on gaming experience and technical issues based on gamers needs.

Thats odd, when I was chatting to a bloke from Matrox the other day about the triple and dual head to go, they didn't mention gaming once, the applications they mentioned were website design, video editing and music production, nothing to do with gaming...they were demonstrating it with a SADiE LRX2 system.