More Suggestions: FX Macros/Defaults etc.
    chromafresh
    super8 member

More Suggestions: FX Macros/Defaults etc.

by chromafresh » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:48 pm

More suggestions. Scriptable I'm sure, but for now:

1) FX Macros:
    Generally speaking I can only see using the current FX with certain settings:
    I would use Auto Scale with Sound In with speed jacked up about 98% and Scale at about 10%. Auto Rotate on Z is at a minimum speed and I usually have to raise the layer scale by about 2X as well.
    What I'm getting at is that these FX settings and combinations are usually the same and require 2-4 steps to set up (in addition to turning the FX on). This can really add up. What would be great is if there was a Macro where one could store a combination of multiple FX and settings presets, which could then be dragged and dropped on a layer, this might make things alot easier. Macros is the basic idea here, but also having favorite settings to be the default settings for FX, would be excellent.

2) keyed FX states, with "tweening"
    This is a little complicated. What I'm picturing is that each FX or FX Macro could be either turned on as a toggle, or with key depression. In addition, the FX could "tween" between its "off" state and "on" state. In this case one would want the option to "tween on" and/or "tween off." What I'm picturing is that like with the upcoming lightness FX one could flash it on, then the brightened state would slowly return to the original non-FXed state when the key is released preferably as an "eased" tween as opposed to a linear one.
    This ties into Macros, but a "lightness" + "1.5X scale" that would flash on, and trail off, or could be somehow linked to depression of the scratch key would be ace.

3) Thumbnails suggestions:
    The layers window needs thumbnails, perhaps where the on/off checkbox is. It would also be helpful if thumbnails could be modified so that the user could set the specific frame of the thumbnail and perhaps even zoom in on the image if necessary.

4) Presetting Media FX
    I have a whole bunch of different kinds of media and some of them will always require certain settings. Backgrounds that are 320X240 and must be doubled in size, black and white pictures that I definitely want to use a color effect with, etc. When preparing a file for a set, I would like to be able to apply these settings to the media in advance.
    These settings could then be brought into the layer. I realize this could be a bit complicated and there are times when it is preferable to keep the layer settings and just replace the footage, however, I'd prefer the ability to replace all the layer settings, or at least the ones that were specifically set for individual media.

Thats about it this time. Thanks as always for the hard work. Looking forward to further news about V2!!
    boris
    garageCube team

Re: More Suggestions: FX Macros/Defaults etc.

by boris » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:25 pm

chromafresh wrote:More suggestions. Scriptable I'm sure, but for now:

1) FX Macros:
    I would use Auto Scale with Sound In with speed jacked up about 98% and Scale at about 10%. Auto Rotate on Z is at a minimum speed and I usually have to raise the layer scale by about 2X as well.
    What I'm getting at is that these FX settings and combinations are usually the same and require 2-4 steps to set up (in addition to turning the FX on). This can really add up. What would be great is if there was a Macro where one could store a combination of multiple FX and settings presets, which could then be dragged and dropped on a layer, this might make things alot easier. Macros is the basic idea here, but also having favorite settings to be the default settings for FX, would be excellent.

Yes, sure that's one of the reasons we made the modules.
    For example, one of my personal module (md8 v2) for a matrix preset...
    (The beta test programme of Modul8 V2.0 will begin next Wednesday)

Boris * garageCube team
  • snt

Re: More Suggestions: FX Macros/Defaults etc.

by snt » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:44 pm

chromafresh wrote:More suggestions. Scriptable I'm sure, but for now:

1) FX Macros:

this is something i'd like to see also.

one of the great things about m8 is that one can make lots of variations from a very simple source clip. unfortunaltely it's just impossible to change lots of parameters at once.

i'd like to have a possibility to save layer attribute sets as presets and to be able to toggle between them with the computer keyboard or midi controller. another cool thing would be if the switching from a preset to the next would be syncable to bpm or an oscillator (for example: cut to random preset/cut to next preset/cut to previous preset at certain frequency) or even incoming sound.

or has someone already made a module for this?

s