multiple midi maps
    kazimier22

multiple midi maps

by kazimier22 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi,
    I have been using Modul8 for a while and am currently working on a few different projects, I have now run into a problem regarding the midi mapping - as each project I am working on requires completely different midi maps. At the moment I am having to reset back to my default settings and re-plot the midi map before each different show. I was wondering if there is a way to save the maps and bring them up with different projects.
  • sonicslice
    activ8 member

by sonicslice » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Modul8 - Preferences - key/midi mapping and change to document mapping, the midi map will be saved with each set.

This is clearly outlined in the manual.
    kazimier22

by kazimier22 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:54 pm

thanks for that - its the perfect solution. My bad for not reading the manual thoroughly enough, been using Modul8 for over a year now and still finding new functions in it. Will post the results from the current project soon.
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:11 pm

sonicslice wrote:Modul8 - Preferences - key/midi mapping and change to document mapping, the midi map will be saved with each set.

This is clearly outlined in the manual.

Fair enough but I don't feel that this is good enough. What if you want to use a documents midi settings with another document?
    I think that being able to save midi maps independently from the document would be easy enough and a big step forward from a usability perspective.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:43 pm

Actually often saved MIDI maps get lost. So you never know if it still works when you open old project. And during performance this is a bad surprise.
    I have 2 copies of M8 installed one on the MBP internal HD and one on external USB box where I do prep work and testing. I save my projects on one place, but when I try to run project saved from external on internal HD MIDI maps are lost along with the media paths. It is real pain and huge waste of time.
    Does it have to be this way or I am missing something here?
  • ilan

by ilan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:58 am

It is a huge pain in the ass indeed. I completely agree. A 'save midi map' that will produce an independent document is slated for a future release.

Just as a note. MIDI mapping are are not stored in the document of the project even when you specify for them to be saved in relation to project files. The settings are (strangely) stored in the modul8 preferences file in the user library folder.

@Vana for the above reason it is probably a good idea to not work with the modul8 app from an external disc.
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:19 pm

I regularly back up my modul8 preferences just in case something goes wrong.