Best DV Capture device for Modul8
  • Dijjital

Best DV Capture device for Modul8

by Dijjital » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:02 am

I am looking for the best quality/most stable video capture device to use with the latest release of Modul8. I have tried using a Canopus ADVC100 with poor results. Visual artifacts appeared throughout the image and the resolution looked terrible. This is not a property of the Canopus as video captured with this device is generally great quality captured using QuickTIme or FinalCut. Why would the quality differ in Modul8?
    I have been looking at the DFG/1394-1e by Imaging Source http://www.theimagingsource.com/en/products/converters/dfg13941e/overview/. It will input uncompressed video. Has anyone tried using this device? What would you suggest using to capture video?
  • VJnutcracker
    super8 member

by VJnutcracker » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:21 am

I would recomend one of these Image

At least with a tape based device if you have a power glitch you retain the recording up to that point, digital & dvd systems would lose the entire recording.

Capture to computer via firewire after the event.

If it must be a firewire to video converter take a look at the Formac Studio dv, i've used one without problem for a couple of years (except the power glitch issue, a UPS would solve that problem i suppose)

http://www.formac.com/webapp/products_av_studiodeluxe.php
  • Dijjital

Video Capture

by Dijjital » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:56 am

I'm actually not trying to record out of Modul8, I'm looking for a video capture device like an AJA or a Decklink to bring video into my computer. What are your experiences using video input source as a layer in Modul8?
  • videomasta

by videomasta » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:41 am

the fastest device i know:

Imaging Source DFG-1394/1 (~$330US, requires 3rd party driver from ASC). Note: the DFG-1394/1 is not a camera. It converts from analog video (composite or S-VHS) to uncompressed FireWire video.

here are more recommendations:

http://www.cycling74.com/twiki/bin/view ... terCameras
  • tape recorder

by tape recorder » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:33 pm

I own a canopus and it can look good if you change some settings in modul8 prefs but then the framerate goes way down because the video is compressed dv... or that's my understanding of it.
    I've heard good things about the dfg1394.
    Also the black magic cards if you're using a tower..

What I don't get is why video coming in through the same device looks good and plays fluidly when you're previewing through say imovie, or finalcut...I assume there is some kind of buffering happening?
  • videomasta

by videomasta » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:07 pm

i agree, i also can not understand why my clips with smooth movement content are looking excellent in quicktime player.
    but playing the same clip with modul 8 you have jitter, hickups and stuttering.
    mbp dual 2.2gHz, 768x576 foto jpeg, 25 fps. playing 1 clip without modifications.
    the modul8 team should work on that first, i think.
    it is a asolute nogo in a professional context.
  • VJnutcracker
    super8 member

by VJnutcracker » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:35 pm

sorry i mis-read your question.....however as both the devices i listed work both ways (analog video to firewire & firewire to analog video) they would both get video into modul8, with delay tho.

I use the Formac with great success as my input device for modul8, i use it mainly because it allows longer cable runs than a standard firewire to firewire cable does, and it allows switching between 2 sources (firewire and s-video/composite video)