preview window functionality
  • lasercade

preview window functionality

by lasercade » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:03 pm

Hello, I've been playing with the 2.0 beta and it looks like it's really coming along.

What I think is one of the coolest things about modul8 is it's ability to play with the layers live in the preview window. I like being able to manipulate the layers directly with the mouse. I really wish that you could scale and rotate the layers directly in the preview window. This is the kind of functionality usually found within 3d and compositing apps, and i think it would really add to the live feel of modul8. Are there any plans to add this feature?

thanks,

mm
    yves@garagecube
    master

Re: preview window functionality

by yves@garagecube » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:58 pm

Yes, we had the same thoughts for quiet some time now - we just never had the time to implement it yet. It is definitivly a feature that we are considering for a future version.

Yves.
    chromafresh
    super8 member

by chromafresh » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:23 am

Good idea! I'm surprised I didn't think of this. While we're on about the preview window I have a question to add... I can't quite figure out something with the preview. When its on output mode and I have a layer selected and am trying to move that layer, I always seem to end up moving the topmost layer... is this normal behavior? If so, this seems kind of useless. I end up having to switch over to the layer mode and move it, then back to output to confirm the result... its a big waste of time. I think I'm missing something very simple though, please tell me!

-b
  • stuart
    activ8 member

by stuart » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:50 am

one thing I would like to see is the preview window not stepping on the output windows performance. A way to shift CPU cycles to prioritize the output if you are dropping frames.
  • lasercade

by lasercade » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:45 am

Cool, I thought this would have occured to you. I really hope you implement this sooner than later as I really think it would fit modul8.

thanks,

mm
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:16 am

chromafresh wrote:Good idea! I'm surprised I didn't think of this. While we're on about the preview window I have a question to add... I can't quite figure out something with the preview. When its on output mode and I have a layer selected and am trying to move that layer, I always seem to end up moving the topmost layer... is this normal behavior? If so, this seems kind of useless. I end up having to switch over to the layer mode and move it, then back to output to confirm the result... its a big waste of time. I think I'm missing something very simple though, please tell me!

-b

:roll: Yes it's a new experimental interactive layer selection mode (in the V2 BETA 2).
    It works well, except if several layers have the same size.
    Indeed it is not very practical ! ( I saw that too :cry: )
    This is why it will be disable in the next Beta, very soon (And you can use it with a short cut)
    In the future I will make a new fonction w/alpha channel detection.
    Boris * garageCube team
    chromafresh
    super8 member

by chromafresh » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:41 am

Alpha Detection, yes I thought of that too, except this can be tricky depending on the footage. I have quite a number of footage that moves around quite alot so that detectable alpha becomes a "catch the monkey" game (ala the famous banner ad).
    I know that not everyone has footage like this however. Please consider having the selected layer always be the default and perhaps detectable alpha be a selectable preference.
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:37 pm

chromafresh wrote:Please consider having the selected layer always be the default and perhaps detectable alpha be a selectable preference.

Of course !
    (with a short cut)
    Boris * garageCube team