Trigger Finger
  • CYEAW

Trigger Finger

by CYEAW » Thu May 26, 2005 4:33 pm

In my neverending quest for the ideal midi controller, i've came upon M-Audio Trigger Finger : http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/TriggerFinger-main.html
    It has :
    - 16 pads
    - 4 sliders
    - 8 knobs

. midi/usb compliant
    . usb powered
    . 16 programs

I was wondering if anyone had the opportunity of using it. The 4x4 layout make it very ergonomic and intuitive with Modul8.

In any case, i think i'll soon try it for myself so if anyone wants to share some experience with that stuff, don't hesitate.

CYEAW
  • jm302
    super8 member

by jm302 » Thu May 26, 2005 10:55 pm

One of my bandmates uses the Trigger Finger for controlling Ableton Live. I played around with it the other night and it seems neat enough, however, I personally think the BCR is better suited to Modul8. For the record, I use only a Novation Remote25, but am considering a BCR by years end.

All in all, it depends on how you use Modul8. I don't care for the way the Trigger Finger is set up, but, as the saying goes: to each their own. If you can get to a local music store that stocks them, bring your laptop and give it a good test.

j.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist" -- Anonymous

http://www.302acid.com
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Fri May 27, 2005 6:04 pm

I think a Trigger Finger/BCR2000 combo is the killer MIDI control surface setup for modul8. I don't like MAudio products but this one is really neat.

Would be sweet if modul8 would take advantage of certain MIDI features as aftertouch etc. to take a bigger advantage of the Trigger Finger.
    VJFranzK
    super8 member

by VJFranzK » Sun May 29, 2005 11:38 am

the buttons seem solid, but
    are the sliders on the TF strong enough to be used as crossfaders?

(the data entry slider on ox8 broke after one night of heavy use.)
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Mon May 30, 2005 8:18 am

They're probably shit, that's why I htink it would bea agreat ADDITION to a setup. I would never use it standalone.
  • CYEAW

Trigger Finger test

by CYEAW » Mon May 30, 2005 2:53 pm

Well, I finally bought it and tested it on a short concert this week-end.
    My short review
    The gear
    Solid and good looking. The pads are of good quality and you can push them hard. No latences detected. The 4x4 alignment make the TF a perfect companion for Modul8. It's much much more intuitive in live conditions than a midi keyboard.
    The 8 knobs are solid and the 4 faders seem ok but i would not recommend them for hardcore crossfading.
    On my unit i experienced a few usb connection problems and had to change my usb cable.

The feeling :
    I redesigned my set completely in the morning and for the night i had no problem finding my marks with this new machine. Moreover, it led me to paths of improvisation that i could not reach with my Evolution MK225 and/or my BCR2000.

So, i would definitely recommend it for use with modul8 but for those of you who are controls junkies, i would add a BCR or BCF for a complete configuration.

Cheers.