Masking Frustrations, am I missing something here?
  • Dijjital

Masking Frustrations, am I missing something here?

by Dijjital » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:19 am

I was so frustrated as I prepared my setup for Earthdance this year. I had 3 globe screens on stage and 3 matching projectors in the truss. I used 3 discreet outputs to address the projectors individually and a mask with 3 cutouts to mask the projection for the spheres. Sometimes I would strech a single clip (or the camera feed) across all three globes, sometimes I would slap a different clip on each globe. I couldn't for the life of me get the mask to perfectly fit the screens resulting in ugly spill. I wanted individual masks for each globe. This would take up 3 of my 5 layers, and I needed 3 layers for content. Why is there not a circle mask effect? Every other server I've used has the ability to mask without using precious layers... Maybe I'm just not seeing something obvious?
    There's got to be a plugin or modul that allows you to apply various shaped masks without creating a black image with a transparent cutout. Any suggestions?
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:17 am

why didn't you mark the correct mask positions live in m8, export and use it to redraw your original mask?
  • Dijjital

Mask Layers

by Dijjital » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:22 pm

I did mark the mask position in M8, that's how I set up the mask. Even so, I couldn't get the mask layer perfect because I could not adjust each part individually. Trying to combine 3 masks into a single layer cuts down the amount of adjustment you can do quite drastically.
    I can't believe no one else runs into this problem.
    A simiple solution it seems would be a module that let you apply any shaped mask to a layer as an effect. This would allow you to mask your outputs without having to dedicate a layer for the mask...
    Anyone able to script something like this?
  • dRead

by dRead » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:00 am

Check out the inside-us-all freeframe plugins from the Pixel Addicts site:

http://www.thepixeladdicts.com/products/

There is a circle mask that can have multiple circles at a time (up to 9 i think), adjustable position and scale. You can use different settings on each layer that it is applied to. There is also a hexagon mask plugin in the set too. I use it for round screens all the time, works great.