Modul8 Video Capture Compatibilty List
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:01 am

Interesting - although with it being half resolution (352 x 240, 29.97fps) you should be able to get similar delay over firewire. I'll add it to the list but we should be able to have full SD over the input - not just half res.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:17 am

lotech wrote:Interesting - although with it being half resolution (352 x 240, 29.97fps) you should be able to get similar delay over firewire. I'll add it to the list but we should be able to have full SD over the input - not just half res.

. ok.. they shouldn't use the same generic looking image for all their products ! i actually have the ProView - (http://daystartechnology.com/Apple_Mac_ ... SX_PS.html) and it is full screen.

. i can delete my previous post to prevent confusion, if you'd like.
  • dieseljoe

How about ELGATO VIDEO CAPTURE?

by dieseljoe » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:23 pm

Does any one have any experience with
    Elgato Video Capture
    Regular Price: CA$ 134.99

I try to find a cheaper way than Blackmagic, for live video capturing into M8.I found it on
    https://store.boutiquemac.ca/elgato-video-capture.html

looks like it's not gone be easy to find something cheap in Canada

Special Price: CA$ 99.99

Quick Overview
    Transfer video to your Mac from a VCR, DVR, camcorder, or any other analog video device as an iTunes-ready H.264 or MPEG-4 file. Elgato Video Capture’s easy-to-use software assists you through every step, from connecting an analog video source to recording the video on your Mac and choosing how you will watch and share it.

There is no easier way to transfer home video to your Mac to play in QuickTime, to sync with an iPod, iPhone or Apple TV, to edit in iMovie, or to upload to YouTube.
    dieseljoe
  • dieseljoe

by dieseljoe » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:25 pm

Does any one have any experience with
    Elgato Video Capture
    Regular Price: CA$ 134.99

I try to find a cheaper way than Blackmagic, for live video capturing into M8.I found it on
    https://store.boutiquemac.ca/elgato-video-capture.html

looks like it's not gone be easy to find something cheap in Canada

Special Price: CA$ 99.99

Quick Overview
    Transfer video to your Mac from a VCR, DVR, camcorder, or any other analog video device as an iTunes-ready H.264 or MPEG-4 file. Elgato Video Capture’s easy-to-use software assists you through every step, from connecting an analog video source to recording the video on your Mac and choosing how you will watch and share it.

There is no easier way to transfer home video to your Mac to play in QuickTime, to sync with an iPod, iPhone or Apple TV, to edit in iMovie, or to upload to YouTube.
    dieseljoe
  • te-c
    super8 member

by te-c » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:01 pm

I use the Elgato Video Capture to digitalize my old VHS-Cassettes and it works really great.
  • dieseljoe

by dieseljoe » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:26 pm

thank you, It is made for that according to the manual, my question is regarding to the above topic, can it be used for live video feed from a camera or other video device, into M8 with quality picture, and without serious latency?
    dieseljoe
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:02 am

I would probably say no, as none of the other Elegato products work with M8. I imagine this is a TV card without the tuner.
    Do prove me wrong though.
  • te-c
    super8 member

by te-c » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:54 am

I've tried to use the Elgato Video Capture with Modul8 and Quicktime. Both doesn't work. I think it only works togehter with the Elgato application. Maybe there is a hack for this.
  • dieseljoe

by dieseljoe » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:58 pm

VANAKARU, thank you and all of you. Vanakaru's input and expertise is exeptionally helpful, as I see his name on other vj forums too.
    I got may answers. I let you know the result of my experience later

I will go with the easy cap or the DFG/1394-1e converter

dieseljoe
    dieseljoe
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi all,

Modul8 2.5/2.6 is using QuickTime framework for doing video capture.

So if you recording/grabbing device is supported by QuickTime (test with the record function of QuickTime Player pro), it should work with Modul8.

For USB Camera, they should be compliant with UVC (Universal Video Class)

For firewire, cameras using IIDC or DFG/1394 are supported. DV cameras are supported, but QuickTime is able to capture only one DV stream at a time.

For other devices, they should have a VDIG or other QuickTime compatible driver (which is the case for blackmagic products but not for Elgato low-end products).

Concerning AVCHD, I think most AVCHD cameras are not capable of sending a real-time video stream to the host computer. They are storing their data locally and then you could get the encoded movie from your Mac (QuickTime has no native support for AVCHD, so you need to transcode to a QT supported format).

Last, HD support in Modul8 2.5.8 means that we support resolution higher than PAL/NTSC/VGA/XVGA/...; Previous versions were limited to 1024x768 so people with blackmagic cards were not able to get HD videos.

HDV should be supported. If you manage to grab an HDV stream into QuickTime player and not in Modul8, please contact support[at]garagecube.com.

I hope this clarify the current situation about grabbing.

David

PS: 2.6 supports upto 4 simultaneous video grab.
  • dieseljoe

by dieseljoe » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:17 pm

WOW, thanx David, now that is serious teaching. I feel like jump out to the cave for my stone axe.... 8)
    dieseljoe
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:43 pm

Awesome, some information I wish I had had about 4 capture cards ago.
    Thanks though.
  • ds

easycap dc60

by ds » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:18 pm

i just bought the easycap dc60 usb grabber and want to try it in modul8 but i have a problem.
    they sent the 2.1 version of the software and i read that the 3.1 is needed! where can i get it? and isn´t all the setups on the cd just for win? how can i get my easycap dc60 working under leopard?!

thx in advice,
    ds
  • vanakaru
    master

Re: easycap dc60

by vanakaru » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:31 pm

ds wrote:i just bought the easycap dc60 usb grabber and want to try it in modul8 but i have a problem.
    they sent the 2.1 version of the software and i read that the 3.1 is needed! where can i get it? and isn´t all the setups on the cd just for win? how can i get my easycap dc60 working under leopard?!

thx in advice,
    ds

Hi.
    You need VideoGlide soft http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/31482 to get EasyCap to work on mac. And I hope you know that only DC60+(plus!!!!) works and I do not know if the v.3.1 is the soft version or firmware. Good luck!
  • NLS6XX

by NLS6XX » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:50 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips on this thread! We got the Easycap DC60+ today and it is a new world that opens up: I can now scratch video using Serato VSL and get this into my girlfriends Modul8 as a layer. For 50$ (easycap + videoglide) this is a real bargain.

Thanks again!

Oh by the way, maybe someone can help us out on this one, let me explain what we're trying to do and what the problem is:
    I would like to go out of my MBP (pre unibody/DVI output) and split my signal in two, the first signal goes to the easycap into my girlfriends MBP with Modul8, the second would go to a vga switch. This way we could switch between the two laptops when we want to get rid of the (small) delay.
    To do this I bought a passive DVI splitter, then connected one end to the easycap using an apple DVI-Svideo adapter and connected the other end to the switch with an apple DVI-VGA adapter. This doesn't work :? I guess it's because I use a DVI splitter but I'm not sure...
    The shops I went to today didn't have a VGA-Svideo adapter so I couldn't try that out.
    Does anybody knows if it would work if I use the following setup:
    My MPB -> DVI-VGA adapter -> passive VGA splitter -> 1 goes to switch / 2 goes to VGA-Svideo adapter -> easycap?
    I know it's a bit difficult to explain but I'm sure you get my point :wink:

Let me know... thanks!
    NLS