Post Reply 121 posts
Modul8 Video Capture Compatibilty List
  • JazzT

by JazzT » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Hi, I just bouth an EasyCap D60+. I use VideoGlied and it works can capture, etc. but when I try it out wiht Modul8, I can only capture with isight bilt in camera on preferences, the VideoGlid option is greyed out. What Im doing wrong. I try it with videoglide open and close with no luck.
    Any advice?

VjazzT
  • JazzT

by JazzT » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Got it working, I just have to put to 640 x 480 capture size in VideoGlide rec setting

VJazzT
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:20 pm

EasyCap v.2 with EasyCap viewer
    http://bentrask.com/easycap/
    seems not working as a input device for Modul8. Moreover it screwed up all the rest of my cameras attached specially iSight.
    It does capture rather well average 2frames latency otherwise.
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:58 am

vanakaru wrote:EasyCap v.2 with EasyCap viewer

Interestingly they list the 4 composite input model as compatible. I doubt it will support all 4 at once and certainly not at full Resolution. Still I haven't seen anything like this supported in OS-X yet.

The reason this app wouldn't work in Modul8 is that only capture devices that use the QuickTime capture framework are supported. To figure out if it should be compatible you should see if you can capture using this app in FCP or another capture app.

UPDATE
    Actually the fact it lists:
    “User-space” driver. Runs like a normal application. No special installation needed

Means that the driver and the app work together and separately to the necessary Quicktime capture support.
  • renzhee

by renzhee » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:21 am

Indeed, it should work.
    Please do post any other experiences as its all a good resource.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:51 am

lotech wrote:
    vanakaru wrote:EasyCap v.2 with EasyCap viewer

Interestingly they list the 4 composite input model as compatible. I doubt it will support all 4 at once and certainly not at full Resolution. Still I haven't seen anything like this supported in OS-X yet.

The reason this app wouldn't work in Modul8 is that only capture devices that use the QuickTime capture framework are supported. To figure out if it should be compatible you should see if you can capture using this app in FCP or another capture app.

UPDATE
    Actually the fact it lists:
    “User-space” driver. Runs like a normal application. No special installation needed

Means that the driver and the app work together and separately to the necessary Quicktime capture support.

It seemed to be like all the others. You install QT component and you get Easycap listed. I get the list of 4 video inputs, but none of these show the video. Only the Easycapviewer.app itself works. BTW I am using EasyCap with just 1 input
    And I lost my iSight until I deleted the QT component.
    However it would be nice to get this to work. Its the cheapest solution so far.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:29 am

Sad news! It seems that they stopped selling these http://www.theimagingsource.com/fr_FR/p ... dfg13941e/
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:56 am

Black magic have just launched a couple of new capture devices that should be compatible with Modul8. Not the cheapest but if theres budget for them they open up some exciting new options.

The $US1000 UltraStudio 3D which should capture 2 separate HD/SD inputs into any new Thunderbolt equipped MacBook Pros.

And the $US1000 DeckLink Quad which should give you 4 HD/SD separate inputs into a MacPro.
  • Dubtekka

by Dubtekka » Sat May 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi,

I'm planning on running a video signal from one macbook to a second macbook pro running Modul8. I've read through this thread and I think I have found the cheapest way to get a OK quality video signal to output from the macbook to macbook pro. If anyone with the any experience of this workflow be able to verify that it works and the hardware and software I have selected to do it is all compatible it would be most helpful. Sorry if I am going over what's already been discussed but I want to double check I've understood people's posts correctly.

I will be running a core 2 macbook with a DVI to video adaptor that will be outputting a 640x480 video signal. The signal will be outputted via a S-Video/video signal to the D60+ capture card, which will digitise the video signal via a USB port in a new 13 inch macbook pro running Modul8. Both Machines will be running OS X 10.6.7

Please can you verify that this is the correct capture card:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DC60-PS3-VHS-XBOX ... 4488wt_989

The capture card says for Windows 7 but I assume that just applies to the software that comes with it. Is it right in thinking I will need to buy VideoGlide for Mac OS X to capture the video in a way that Modul8 will recognise? Here is the VideoGlide website:

http://www.echofx.com/videoglide.html

Firstly if anyone can verify this workflow it wold be very helpful before I purchase the D60+? It would also be helpful to be made of any negative and positive aspects of this workflow?

Many Thanks,

Dubtekka
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sun May 08, 2011 1:56 pm

You know that you will be getting delay and lower quality of the signal your run from the other computer, right? You can get the quality up and the delay down by using more expensive equipment like the Matrox MX02 mini, etc. But you will always get delay and some loss of quality no matter what you do. You need a Express Card slot on your MBP to run the Matrox device. And it introduces other problems. Vade has made a fabulous video about that.

But I would go back to look at what you are trying to do? Why do you want to run video from one MBP to another?
  • Dubtekka

by Dubtekka » Mon May 09, 2011 9:24 am

We have a computer game emulator controlled by an array of sensors via a miditron digitiser. We would be outputting this to modul8, which would have another array of sensors controlling video effects in Modul8.

Matrox devices may be out of our budget but latency would be an issue.

It might be possible to run the emulator and Modul8 on the same system, but is it possible to get Modul8 to take a video input from a game emulator running on the same machine? If so, how?

Secondly, apart from the issues with latency and quality would the workflow described work? Also, how much latency would be introduced as this would be an issue with controlling games? Quality isn't so much of an issue as we're playing more retro games.

Thanks again for your help.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Mon May 09, 2011 9:50 am

I don't know know what emulator you are working with but if it's http://openemu.org/ you should be able to get your game into Modul8 through Quartz Composer and Syphon using the QC Rehab trick (search the forum for QC rehab). This would probably giving you the best quality with the lowest latency. Note that there is ALWAYS latency when driving data between apps and even more so between machines. In some cases the latency is so low that you won't notice it. (Note that a software has to be prepared to use Syphon so only Syphon abled softwares can send to a Syphon server).

Another option that is not as good as the one mentioned above is using an application like CamTwist (free) that will grab a window and make it into a camera input. But it will lower the quality of the video in kind of the same way as it would when using the hardware you mentioned earlier but probably with lower latency. If you're using CamTwist, just make sure to check your output settings because the framerate and the screen size is rather low/small in the factory settings. I suspect that a software like CamTwist takes up a lot of resources from your MBP. Using Syphon would be a much better option because of the way it uses the GPU.

If it's a good idea to run all apps of the same machine is hard to answer. Faster processor and lots of RAM usually makes a big difference when running several animating apps.
  • Dubtekka

by Dubtekka » Mon May 09, 2011 10:05 am

I originally experimented with OpenEmu but I found the only Quartz examples that I could download were designed for the Nes. When I tried running games with a different console emulator plug-in, such as for the SNES, the game wouldn't display properly and I couldn't assign controller data to the SNES emulator. Unfortunately, if I have to write code to get this work then I doubt it will be possible as I don't know any code except for a few lines in terminal. I also couldn't get the Quartz Composer file to work in Modul8. I have tried posting on the open Emu sourceforge site but the community doesn't seem that active.

Please let me know if I'm going wrong somewhere with openemu.

Therefore I am testing out an array of other emulators that can be used with a workflow that will work interchangeably with each emulator. The suggestion with camtwist sounds like it's worth a try and to see if I can get it working on my test machine, 2.33GHz core 2 duo, 3GB ram, 256mb VRAM.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Mon May 09, 2011 10:26 am

I don't know about OpenEmu since I don't use it. I just follow the stuff Vade and his buddies does. There was an update recently so you might check again with SNES. Does it say it supports SNES?

As for Syphon input in Modul8 - You MUST do the QC Rehab trick to make it work. Modul8 is not prepared to take Syphon input but with this trick it will. And then you need to load a QC client file on to a M8 layer. I think the unmodified QC client file will only use the top input input from the Syphon server, so if you need several layers of Syphon input you probably need to use several modified copies of the QC client file (I haven't tried this however).

There is one step I didn't mention and that is that you will have to somehow get the game output into the Syphon sever in Quartz Composer. But I'm pretty confident that this will work smooth since Syphon and OpenEmu are both products of Vade's. If you do your Syphon install correctly you will get Syphon patches to use.

So if the above doesn't work for you I suggest you try the CamTwist way even if it isn't as good. You will have it up and running in 30 minutes or less. When CamTwist is configured right you will get your Game as a camera input in Modul8. You will have to change your camera settings in the Modul8 preferences to get the input from CamTwist. Modul8 MIGHT be sensitive in what order you start the programs so to be sure, have CamTwist running before you start Modul8 to avoid problems.
  • Lupin
    garageCube team

by Lupin » Mon May 16, 2011 6:44 pm

What about Terratec products?
    Gael Abegg Gauthey (former known as Lupin)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/abegg-gauthey/
Post Reply 121 posts