Modul8 Video Capture Compatibilty List
  • aigore79

Re: Modul8 v2.5.8+ Video Capture Compatibilty List

by aigore79 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi everybody,
    I have to implement a mac pro dual xeon with a capture card to provide live feed from composite analog video cameras or hd sdi
    Did anyone used blackmagic decklink 4k extreme with modul8 succesfully? I'm oriented on this model
    Also did anyone used an Aja pci express capture card on a macpro for live feed purposes on modul8?
  • Jaquinde

by Jaquinde » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:54 pm

I've been thinking about the Blackmagic ATEM switcher 1ME/2ME limitation using USB 3.0 for capture. I have an "ATEM Television Studio" which is smaller, and goes to "USB 2.0" ... wouldn't that be easier, if compatible, for Modul8 to capture? it would be a game changer, since you would be able to capture 6 video inputs into one single USB 2.0 stream, 4 of those inputs as straight-up HDMI... and it costs about the same as a DeckLink quad or 4k

Dunno, maybe it already works and I'm just not following the setup correctly. So far, it does give some HDCP issues when capturing from tripleheads and such. Windows 8 works a little differently, but that defeats the purpose.

Anyhow, BlackMagic Design ATEM Television Studio... thoughts using it as a Modul8 capture device via USB 2.0? If it works, it could be pretty crazy.

Also would be interesting to control the ATEM Television Studio from the Modul8 interface itself.

P.S. What I do know for sure is, you can use ATEM Television Studio in tandem with any BlackMagic capture device compatible with Modul8 that supports HDMI or SDI:

ATEM television Studio Output HDMI -> UltraStudio Mini Recorder -> Modul8
    ATEM television Studio MultiView HDMI -> Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt -> Modul8
    ATEM television Studio Output HDMI -> Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt -> Modul8
    ATEM television Studio MultiView SDI + Output HDMI -> UltraStudio 3D -> Modul8

and more...
    Happy Multi-Cam Capturing Everybody!

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... ionstudio/

lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Hi Hijak
    It doesn't work that way sorry. The 1M/E's USB3.0 allows for uncompressed video to be passed through allowing for almost zero latency whereas the TVS USB2.0 actually streams h.264 which adds a few seconds of delay. This is the reason it can fit that information down a single USB2 connection. As a result most apps don't support the TVS as an input as it doesn't use the Quicktime Capture system to talk to the computer.

Also the feed you get out the TVS is the program feed so only one input will get passed through at a time. You could route the Multiview back into the mixer and send that out as program to gain 'multiple' inputs via the USB2.0 but they'll be only 480x270px windows of video per input as shown on the multiview.
  • continuous

by continuous » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:53 am

Hello,

I see the EasyCap DC60+ is listed as working but the company has updated its product to avoid forgeries so I thought I'd better double check... Is anyone successfully using a EzCAP116 USB 2.0 VHS to DVD Converter to get a signal from a VCR into Modul8?

Thanks!

~ c ~
  • Jaquinde

by Jaquinde » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:50 am

lotech wrote:Also the feed you get out the TVS is the program feed so only one input will get passed through at a time. You could route the Multiview back into the mixer and send that out as program to gain 'multiple' inputs via the USB2.0 but they'll be only 480x270px windows of video per input as shown on the multiview.

It's exactly how I would use it, but capturing the Multiview or Program thru another HDMI capture box or card, like intensity shuttle,
  • ilan

by ilan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:36 pm

Perhaps the compatibility list needs to be updated in regards to the BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. While it was not absolutely straight forward to get it to work, I did get it working with Modul8 v2.7.

This will only work with Mac OSX based computers 2012 models and up and of course absolutely requires USB 3.0 ports.

It was necessary to download the BlackMagic Desktop software. This will install the drivers. Note that the drivers are not available as a separate download. After the installation you will be prompted to update firmware. After the reboot the device will work. It works with Modul8 despite the absence of 'official' support from G3.

If you have a machine that is compliant and you are budget minded, you can save a few bucks with USB 3.0 version as opposed to the Thunderbolt version.
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:12 pm

Done.
  • ilan

by ilan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:48 pm

lotech
    ultim8 member

Re: Modul8 Video Capture Compatibilty List

by lotech » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:27 pm

I've updated the list as Blackmagic have released USB3.0 OS-X drivers for most of their Video I/O boxes and also their ATEM switchers.
  • VJarchetype

by VJarchetype » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:26 pm

AJA I/o HD - classic firewire version confirmed working with Modul8 2.8

configured to Prores 422 codec
    1080 at all rates NTSC/ PAL via SDI and HDMI
    720 at all rates NTSC/ PAL

no more than a 2 frame latency from input to output close to 1 frame on 10.8.5 Mac Pro 4,1 8 core 2.26 , 16 GB ram, GT 120 (old Nvidia 512 MB graphics card)

output size 1920 x 1080. I could almost use this as a scaler for live corp events .... definitely a solid VJ rig :)
  • chicoarnold1

by chicoarnold1 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:28 am

Hi Everyone!
    I'm trying to capture a live camera with modul8 (v2.9). And I'm experiencing delay and low frame rate.
    I'm using a Blackmagic card installed. But also, between the camera and the video card, I have connected a Kramer 728 system (like a switcher that also scale the image), cause I need to switch between the camera, and another laptop running a powerpoint presentation.

Do your think this is the main reason for my delay?

I'm also running more than one video capture layers because I have more than one screen outgoing.

Can anyone advice me with thins?

Thanks!
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:26 am

Almost certainly its the scaler causing the delay. Don't expect there to be a delay free camera feed even without it though as there is still processing to be done between capture to output on the computer.

chicoarnold1 wrote:Hi Everyone!
    I'm trying to capture a live camera with modul8 (v2.9). And I'm experiencing delay and low frame rate.
    I'm using a Blackmagic card installed. But also, between the camera and the video card, I have connected a Kramer 728 system (like a switcher that also scale the image), cause I need to switch between the camera, and another laptop running a powerpoint presentation.

Do your think this is the main reason for my delay?

I'm also running more than one video capture layers because I have more than one screen outgoing.

Can anyone advice me with thins?

Thanks!
    Rafdmr24

by Rafdmr24 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:42 am

EasyCap DC60+ v.3.1B , videoglide v1.5.3 and v1.6 on M8 V2.9 does not seem to work anymore. :cry:
  • Invisible Ray

by Invisible Ray » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:17 pm

Has anyone used a Ximea USB 3.0 camera for input to Modul8?
    https://www.ximea.com/en/products/usb3-vision-cameras-xiq-line/mq013cg-e2
    I have a project that needs an extremely small camera that still gives me HD streaming, and I have a CalDigit Thunderbolt expansion box on a 2012 MacBook Pro so I think I can input USB 3.0 with it.

The camera uses the USB3 Vision Standard streaming protocol.

If that doesn't work, has anyone used the BlackMagic Micro Cinema?
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmicrocinemacamera

I want to capture live 720P video streams, and the Ximea would probably be best for me, although I could probably use the BlackMagic if I have to.
  • Invisible Ray

by Invisible Ray » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:12 am

bump

has anyone used a camera or capture device that streams USB 3 Vision protocol with Modul8?

I've been searching for months to find something that will give me 720p video into Modul8 because I output 720p for live shows and I'd like the video in to match the output.

All the discussions in this thread are so old I'm wondering if anyone is actually streaming video in to Modul8 anymore.