Feature request: Capture & Loop
    The Midi Thief
    master

Feature request: Capture & Loop

by The Midi Thief » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm involved with a research project at the Interactive Institute / Mobile life, where they are making a VJ app for VJing with live video streams from cellphone cameras over HSPA ("Turbo 3G"). The application is still in an early phase but I've been trying it out and will do a demo of the program in about a week.

One really nice feature they have is their capture & loop editor. The app saves a few seconds of live video in a buffer so that when you see something you like in the live stream, you hit "rec" and it will record starting a few seconds back in time, so that you won't miss the start of what's just happening. When your caputure is done, you can trim the start and the end of the clip and save it as a loop.

I haven't seen this functionality in either audio or video applications. I think this capture & loop thing (with the recording starting back in time) would be really nice to have in Modul8 and it would give the video capture function new purpose. It would also be great if the new clip was saved as a new member in the media bank.
  • moonbase
    super8 member

by moonbase » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:22 am

I like the 'start recording a few seconds back in time' feature, really useful idea.

Apart from that feature, I use live video capture and loop immediately from within VDMX all the time (when I'm not using M8 of course) :-)

I can be using a video camera on stage cabled back to VDMX, frame the image I want, trigger record and stop-record with a Wiimote and then page backwards and forwards through the captured loops, add one or two predefined effects, and show or hide the output also using the Wiimote, allowing me to trigger the guitarist loop followed by the vocalist loop and back again as the song changes for instance.

The clips are permanently saved to a folder you designate and are also placed in your chosen media bin within VDMX.

There is a 300 frame delay effect which can almost give the back in time feature you mention, hmm, I'll maybe try it this weekend.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:18 am

Another feature that would be nice is if you could slow down a Video Capture by setting the speed to lower than 1.0.

It would also be awesome to delay a video capture. Especially if you could do it in a Matrix so that each frame in the matrix had an increasing delay.

I just tried doing something similar with four layers containing Video Capture and the Time Warp and Time Blur filters with ok results. Are there any better time delay filters, btw?