simple STROBE effect
  • bonafide

simple STROBE effect

by bonafide » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:52 am

this is an incredibly basic question, but i can't for the life of me (after days of googling and searching these forums) figure it out.

where can i find a strobe filter for modul8? when i say "strobe" i mean the effect (common in hardware mixers) that gives you a choppy looking framerate (without slowing down the video). it's simple to apply this effect to Auto Scale, Rotate, and Move... but how do i do it to the video itself?

there's one other thread on here asking the same question... and it got no responses! haha. help me out, please.
    gilhoo

by gilhoo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:11 pm

gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:02 am

I don't think that's what bonafide is talking about. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer either. That said, I'm sure a module could do the trick, but I can tell you that I'm pretty certain that there's not a way to do this with the "stock" controls. I know that's not very helpful, but at least maybe you know where to start looking...
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
  • bonafide

by bonafide » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:16 pm

haha, i'm surprised this is so difficult. you'd think there'd be a freeframe filter out there SOMEWHERE, but no. this is the #1 effect my boss wants to see.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Well i can see two possibilities, both with external MIDI control. Basically you need to animate master controls Flash or Still. it would be easy to do with Ableton on Numerology. Make a song that play a midi note to a desired beat and map this midi note to the mentioned controls.
    Or do it manually - tap a midi controller.
    Also master epileptic strobe module will do it somewhat.
  • vj_x

by vj_x » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:28 pm

or you can write your own module.
    with this command you have access to the frames of your clip:
    modul8.setValue('direct_layer_media_stepFrame',yourFrameValue,0)

a detailed description about the command, you can find here:
    http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtop ... 176ca45fad
  • ilan

by ilan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:16 pm

Check the module library in the public section. There is a module appropriately named 'Epileptic Strobe'
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:29 pm

can you control the duration of the flash. otherwise it does not work really. you can control the interval the flash in happening, but real strobe effect is when video is flashing from the dark. so the flash color black should work. but not with this module.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:31 am

Epeleptic Strobe uses addative color so black won't do anything.
    Have you tried using the "layer alpha" option togheter with the "invert" option in this module? If you have layers underneath they will visible when the alpha is zero, so it might not work well for you.

I will see if I can find a solution to this in the next version. And this module also seem to slow down video clips when strobing in high frequency. I will try to solve this better too.

Also: This module is inspired by strobe lights and not the strobe functions on video equipment. But I can take a look at video strobe as well. However, I feel like that maybe should be a part of the main interface.
  • ilan

by ilan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:15 pm

You can also try the fun key combination 'cmd+option+shift'. Its actually an OpenGL test but I use it pretty regularly in one of my projects.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:54 pm

Haha, that's fresh! It reminds me of the old C64 and Amiga days.
  • bonafide

by bonafide » Fri May 22, 2009 3:19 am

yeah, i don't want flashing strobe lights. all i want to do is change the frame rate to give it that choppy quality, like the STROBE effect in final cut pro, or on hardware mixers. it's a cool effect, and it's great for live feed video.

i really need this filter, or i'll have to go to a different program. i'm trying to get my boss to move away from his hardware mixer and to Modul8, but the strobe effect is really important for live feed, as it hides drops in the wireless signal. seems like there'd be a freeframe filter out there that could do it...but no.
  • jockety
    activ8 member

by jockety » Fri May 22, 2009 7:02 am

one answer could be to use a midi clip from an audio sequencer like ableton live to send
    midi to the on/off of a selected layer or even the crossfader. I'm not sure how fast you want the strobe effect but the midi signal should be pretty fast. If you decide to try this i'd happily give you an idiots guide to getting it set up.
  • dRead

by dRead » Fri May 22, 2009 11:28 am

this may work:

- Set trace to max
    - use bpm layer module, pick layer opacity
    --- use cut waveform
    --- adjust bpm ratio & tempo to your liking
    done

with the trace maxed it leaves the last image there frozen when the layer opacity drops.

the cut wave form works ok, but if you were to use ableton live or something that can play back midi information you could make a custom waveform that would be more of a spike, sends max opacity and then drops right away, more of a v4 strobe effect.