Hey everyone new to the board and want to introduce myself
  • Omek1976

Hey everyone new to the board and want to introduce myself

by Omek1976 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:10 am

Again, hows it everyone doing? I finally decided to start getting a little bit more into VJing and lately have been just having a lot of fun with my trigger finger and Modul8. I've just recently really got back into VJing(I used to mess around with resolume a couple years back but nothing major) and now I'm about ready to finally sit down and learn the basics of modul8. I'm still really into spinning dub and industrial and I LOVE SCRATCHING, but theres something special about manipulating video as well. I do have a couple of questions and was hoping someone on here can take the time to point me in the right direction. First off, I was hoping if someone can tell me how to program a korg kaos pad 3 for the grid in modul8 for changing positions, and also can I program one of the pads on the korg unit for the grid refresh button in modul. I know for a fact the korg is "almost" fully programmable but I just want to know how modul8 recognizes it. When I goto assign midi controls I dont see either the grid or the grid refresh button highlighted for me to program. Also speaking of this question, How Many MIDI Controllers Can Modul8 Handle At Once? I'm hoping three. And does anybody know if I can program the new Stanton Midi controllers(especially the scs.3m)((http://www.enterthesystem.com/system3/scs3m/index.php}}?
    Now onto recording....just a couple :D
    Can modul8 record audio in from itunes as well as a visual set? And can I overloop recordings. For instance....I'll have a couple layers playing and I'll start recording one of them. All is fine, the recording automatically plays on the corresponding layer. BUT then when I SWITCH to ANOTHER LAYER just to play over the recorded video, all the effects and positoning refreshes intermintenly. The layer with my recording is fine but everything that is effected in the second layer keeps refreshing all the effects and such. I have noticed that it refreshes after time length of the recorded layer. Kinda weird, but I'm really just trying to accomplish the ability to overloop my visuals and just keep building layers. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about..its kinda of hard to explain but thats why I came to the professionals on this.

Anyways I just want to thank everyone for taking the time to answer a couple noob questions, much obliged :lol:

Thanks Again

Omek
  • Omek1976

by Omek1976 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:56 am

So its been weeks now and still nobody on this board has taken the time to respond or even welcome a new member, not even a response from one of the moderators!Very disappointing. I really hope there is someone out there that will actually show some courtesy on behalf of this forum and answer a couple simple questions. Thats why I came to the professionals, so show me that you guys really are.
  • vanakaru
    master

Re: Hey everyone new to the board and want to introduce myse

by vanakaru » Wed May 20, 2009 2:21 pm

Omek1976 wrote:I hope someone knows what I'm talking about..its kinda of hard to explain

Sorry if you feel let down. But I do not know what you talking about.
    Try post every question separate and make it easy to read-understand. I really had to force my brain to understand what you asking. But since I do not use any of these hardware and do not run into similar situations I have no clue. And try VJForums.com as well. Good luck!
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Wed May 20, 2009 3:22 pm

Maybe the fact that you've got loads of different and unrelated questions in your post which is a long unbroken paragraph didn't help!

Modul8 can handle as many MIDI controllers as you want, it receives all MIDI.

Modul8 doesn't record audio

No idea what you're talking about regarding "refreshing effects and such"
  • Omek1976

by Omek1976 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Thank you both for responding so quickly! Im glad to know that I can actually use more than a couple MIDI controllers. Kind of a bummer on the audio but I can see why that would not add a feature like this.

Now as far as the recording goes....I realize that its not the easiest thing to understand what I am trying to explain. I was hoping somebody had a similar issue and would of recognized it. Either way, let me again try to explain this. I want to be able to throw some effects, or just mess with some of the parameters on a layer and record it. Now that recording should automatically start playing after I hit the play button and the bottom right of the screen. This works just fine. But right when I goto start adding another layer(again I'm not recording this second layer but just messing around with it) all the effects and positioning I've added to the second layer refreshes( all the effects and axis positions go back to there original intervals). I hope this makes things a little more clear.

Also another quick question to the side, how do most VJ's record Modul8 and the audio at the same time? What the easiest way and whats the most effective way?

Thanks again guys! Hope to hear from you soon!
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Thu May 21, 2009 11:05 am

The best way to record an audio and video set is to connect your audio and video outputs into a DV camera or other recording device.

I'm still not quite understanding your other problem.

Let's clarify,

-layer 1 has a recording playing (make sure you're using the layer record and not the global, that could be the problem)

-layer 2 you're tweaking live

this should work fine, not sure if this is what you mean though
  • ilan

Better late then never...

by ilan » Thu May 21, 2009 12:51 pm

Hello Omek1976,

Sorry we did not say hello earlier. We have been fairly overwhelmed with work in the last couple of weeks.

Welcome aboard.

Kind regards,
  • Omek1976

by Omek1976 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:57 am

Thanks for the welcoming.. I conpletely understand...I think at this point everyone and there mother is busy...I do appreciate u taking a second away from work to welcome a new member, much obliged!

Also Mowgli, yeah that is what I'am trying to do. But to tell you the truth I really do not know what the difference between both record options. This probably is the reason. Which one is which and what are the differences between the two?

Thanks again guys!
  • ilan

by ilan » Fri May 22, 2009 3:19 pm

The smaller record buttons are for recording a layers activity only. You can record an action for each layer separately. You must select the layer in order to use its recording function but once you make the recording it can run on its own. To turn off the playback of an individual layer you have to select the layer and then click on the 'stop' button.

Larger record buttons are for 'master logical record' and will record all activity of the interface including the layers, layersets, deletion and creation of layers and the master controls. Once you create a logical record you have the ability to render it out to a QuickTime file.

Please read the manual for more in depth info on these functions.
  • b1w7m5lwb4

by b1w7m5lwb4 » Sun May 24, 2009 10:51 pm

you guys are so darn nice
  • ilan

by ilan » Mon May 25, 2009 11:38 am

If you are from Washington state we are even nicer ;)
  • b1w7m5lwb4

by b1w7m5lwb4 » Mon May 25, 2009 7:30 pm

how charming. a little politeness does go a long way in The Enchanted Forests of Cascadia, where the black-on-black capacities of Modul8 are especially appreciated. I know how much everyone loves dark, slow visuals.

omek-- you still there? the looping thing. so.. you want to record loops of your visual output, then periodically import that recording as a layer? Every, say, 16 bars of your BPM/time signature formula? Interesting. One thing that's helped me is writing down, clearly, exactly what i want to accomplish and seeing if all the steps i've written down add up to what i want to see. If it doesn't kill the magic, it'll make it much stronger.