Help a newbie get started?
  • dfischer

Help a newbie get started?

by dfischer » Tue May 26, 2009 2:19 pm

Hey all, I'm a complete newbie and I'm really enthusiastic to get started in VJing. However I really have no idea where to start besides trying out "modul8" because I saw some VJ use it at a music festival.

Right now I'm playing with the software and I'm figuring out what all the various controls do but I'm completely lost on how I sync the video preview to a song.

My setup right now is completely basic, a Macbook (2009 model with 4 gigs of ram).

How would I do something as simple as syncing my iTunes music with the video?

It really can't just be the "speed meter" that I see. That seems almost *too* hard.

I found a "BPM" (global) module that I "tap" the beat, however no matter what BPM I set it doesn't seem to change the speed of the video. Is there something else I have to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    ________
    SUZUKI M ENGINE HISTORY
    Last edited by dfischer on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • ilan

by ilan » Tue May 26, 2009 6:42 pm

Hello Daniel,

You can use the BPM router (layer) module. In this module you can use the 'pick' button to select one of the scratch knobs. This will assign the BPM to the the playback of the layer and the clip it is using.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Tue May 26, 2009 8:12 pm

try this - play your music on MBP, set sound input(lower right corner) in animation fx use sound-in to control fx. set speed low and size close to max.
    just one very simple way to make something react to music or bang of the head on the table.
  • b1w7m5lwb4

by b1w7m5lwb4 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:23 pm

vanakaru wrote:just one very simple way to make something react to music or bang of the head on the table.

bang head extra harder for extremely saturated pixillation behind eyelids
  • dfischer

by dfischer » Tue May 26, 2009 11:40 pm

Ah, interesting. So it seems like the syncing is going to be more geared towards reactions of the music. In terms of how the video is playing though... do you guys 100% match it to the speed of the song? How do you do that?

I'm guessing if you at one point match the speed of the video with a song eventually it'll get out of sync as well. Different timing and such?

Example:

I loaded up a video, I got the sound in to change "colors" on anytime it (hears) the beat. The speed of the video doesn't seem to match the song though - is everyone's solution just BPMing module layer with the speed slider thing?
    ________
    Marijuana Vaporizers
    Last edited by dfischer on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Wed May 27, 2009 1:10 pm

The question here is what are you trying to achieve.
    If you want your video clip to be tempo synched to the music the sound input is irrelevant, you just use the BPM master to set the BPM and then the BPM router layer to assign the BPM to the clip playback position (scratch knob) NOT the clip speed!