Enhanced Quartz Composer support in version 2.6?
  • Vibber
    super8 member

Enhanced Quartz Composer support in version 2.6?

by Vibber » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Can anyone from the M8 team reveal whether there will be new features in 2.6 related to Quartz Composer?
    Or planned for later versions?

Specifically I am thinking of the features that VDMX has, where you can use the Quartz patch a filter - that is use it with any media in your library. And also the ability to control any parameters in the patch directly from Modul8.
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:29 am

well, while it makes perfect sense to users to add quartz to M8, it may turn out to be unlikely to happen for business reasons.

M8 core features - its reliability and its modules - supposedly would need a major reworking to enable full quartz.

besides which, it would be a bit like KFc trying to sell hamburgers just because macdonalds do. it kinda makes sense, but it would inevitably end up in a price war which would be bad for everyone. try that in a niche market like Vj software and it would likely kill one of the apps, which would be terrible really wouldn't it?
  • vj_ava

by vj_ava » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:50 am

deepvisual wrote:well, while it makes perfect sense to users to add quartz to M8, it may turn out to be unlikely to happen for business reasons.

M8 core features - its reliability and its modules - supposedly would need a major reworking to enable full quartz.

besides which, it would be a bit like KFc trying to sell hamburgers just because macdonalds do. it kinda makes sense, but it would inevitably end up in a price war which would be bad for everyone. try that in a niche market like Vj software and it would likely kill one of the apps, which would be terrible really wouldn't it?

Awesome points, completely.
    I do think you are forgetting that it would be better for the consumer to get what they want too. If KFC was told to sell products do to consumer demand and meet the needs they would. So I don't see why that would not happen here.

Really if it was possible to merge this product and the other it would be the end all of VJ software. There are things this app does I wish the other did and vice versa.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:23 pm

I may be the only one who think so, but every time I use QuartzCoposer is taxes CPU so bad comparing to M8 that I do not use QC at all. I can however with some creativity get by with M8 and modules in most of the cases. And for real interactive setups there are better tools in any way - like Isadora, Processing, VVVV.
    So I personally hope that M8 will not support QC in the future. At least I have not used all the modules and possibilities yet.
    Also comparing to modules and QC, modules tend to run better, maybe because they are not node-based, but coded.
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:43 am

@vanakaru: that's interesting - I experience quite good performance from Quartz compositions most of the time. Of course it depends on what kind of effect they contain and the image size of the composition.
    Do you have any examples where Modul8 outperforms the same effect in QC?

best regards
    -Vibeke
  • ilan

by ilan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:55 pm

I can confirm that QC support will not expand much in the coming version. There are many technical reasons for this. Some of them cited already in this thread and others such as our experiences with being tied to QuickTime.

Beyond the above I really can't say much more on the subject.
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:20 pm

OK thanx for the reply. I'm experimenting with making my own plugin that communicates with Quartz Composer through OSC, so I will probably just stick with that solution if I can make it work.
  • ilan

by ilan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:00 pm

Its actually pretty inspiring to see how many people have found home grown solutions to working with modul8 with other technologies. The Kineme plug-ins for QC seem to make people pretty happy.

I know I guy that uses FLOSC, its a server that allows you to control flash movies using OSC.
    Last edited by ilan on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • vj_ava

Re: Enhanced Quartz Composer support in version 2.6?

by vj_ava » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:27 pm

Vibber wrote:Specifically I am thinking of the features that VDMX has, where you can use the Quartz patch a filter - that is use it with any media in your library. And also the ability to control any parameters in the patch directly from Modul8.

VDMX and Modul8 work great together using Vades screen capture. I use both apps live, and found how to get a visualizer in my compositions.
    http://002.vade.info/
  • ilan

by ilan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:54 am

Heh, heh. Vade is a buddy of mine from the SHARE days. Great guy and very clever with the code. I am still trying to convince him to join us.
  • Evil_Sloth

by Evil_Sloth » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:19 pm

Vj_ava could you give more insight into how you got Vades screen capture to work in modul8. It works fine in VDMX but it just shows up as black in modul8 and even if it did show up there are no parameters into changing the capture location on screen.

I tired vades suggestion of installing Kineme 3D but no luck.

Would be very very thankful for your help.
    Next Gen Visuals.
  • blackwatch

Vade

by blackwatch » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:24 pm

I'd love to know if anyone has gotten Vade's glitch plugins working in M8
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:41 pm

No you can't make Vade's glitch plugin work in M8 because you can't pipe video from Modul8 to a QC plugin. But try VJ_Ava's method or try making your own QC file with the help of Vade's source baking in the video in to the QC file. That *might* work. I have a problem getting the plugin to work at all on my VJ machine so I can't try in right now.