Mapping Projection with Adobe Illustrator
  • earsaregood

Mapping Projection with Adobe Illustrator

by earsaregood » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:15 pm

I have read on this site that some folks like Anti-VJ use Adobe Illustrator to map the surfaces to be projected onto.

I am keen to use surfaces other than screens and would like some more info on how to use Illustrator for this purpose.

Can you all help with resources I can accesss to teach me some of these techniques?

Thanks all!

Matt
  • ilan

by ilan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:09 pm

I have been using Photoshop for this with the same results plus it is a little more flexible as you can build animations within Photoshop.

The technique is similar to the Illustrator technique that Ratsi showed me.

- Create a new Photoshop document at the exact pixel size you want for your output.

- Make sure the projector is connected to your computer and aim the projector at the space you want to map your projection.

- In Photoshop select 'Arrange > New window for yourdocumentname'

This is a very old feature in Photoshop that allows you to draw in one document with the other displaying exactly what you are doing in the first one.

- Drag your second document into your projector output and hit 'F' key until the document is full screen. You may have to zoom in and out once or twice so that the document is centered in the projection.

- Using the source window of your document draw everything you need while looking at the projection in the space to do so.

A bit tricky but that is how its done. All the other fancy 3d stuff happens in post. After you have your outlines you can do whatever you want in other motion graphics programs.
  • earsaregood

by earsaregood » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks very much.....Cheers.

Matt
  • sp-projects

mapping

by sp-projects » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:30 am

It is quickist and easy to take a photo of the subject and then use this in photoshop or illustrator to create a mask to animate over we used AE in the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8-kqovVjss
    If it wasn't for the last minute nothing would get done..
  • TimeSquid

by TimeSquid » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:19 pm

Ilan, that photoshot trick is definately worth a shot, thanks.

Hi, About taking a photo to work from...

You took a photo of the building and worked from that to create the content... My question is, does the difference between the lens of the projector and the lens of the camera affect the outcome?

subtle perspective differences would be a problem right? Was there perspective and composition clean up work once you got the projector on the building?

Also... Did you put Velum or white sheets in the windows to make the light pop inside them?

Nice work with the heart party building btw... Its all about throwing them off with pacman!

Thank you for your time. reply on the thread for the good of the people.
  • ilan

by ilan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:27 am

Lens definitely is a factor. And you will probably have to make adjustments on site no matter what.

I don't have a lot of experience with mapping buildings. Its not 'my thing' so I have never had a chance to experiment with putting velum on windows. If you have an idea just go for it.

The best option will always be to do it on site, especially with all the factors you have mentioned.
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:45 am

its seems I was mistaken when I made the earlier video.

as long as you use a regular lens - without extreme wide angle distortion, the choice of lens isn't critical.
  • sp-projects

by sp-projects » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:10 pm

My question is, does the difference between the lens of the projector and the lens of the camera affect the outcome?
    Not really, if you know where the projector is set up and you have the size of the canvas you can worked out the lens on the projector you are going to use. As long as you take your photo from projector position and you fill the frame with the canvas you will have a pretty good match when you project back onto the building. any slight adjustments will be made on site when you line up the projector. Projectors now a days have a lot of adjustment and with good media servers it is possible to always get it right.

Also... Did you put Velum or white sheets in the windows to make the light pop inside them?
    This Building had shutters on the inside which we closed. it is best to cover windows if you are using them as glass will not hold the projection. some times you don't want the fabric to be white as the projection pings out to much, it all depends what you are projecting so watch out on that one..

Nice work with the heart party building btw... Its all about throwing them off with pacman!

Thank you it is a lot of fun and great to see the reactions especially from a party crowd.

Deep visual, you are right avoid the wide angle lens..
    If it wasn't for the last minute nothing would get done..
  • TimeSquid

by TimeSquid » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:17 pm

Thank you guys for all your help, Im going to test both techniques out on a 10K projector blasting a full theatre stage with balcony and all.

I just hope theyve got a genie to get a photo from the projectors POV.
    hedgemunkees

3d line edge mapping

by hedgemunkees » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:06 am

Hi ilan.

Really useful advice on line edge mapping techniques. I am trying to simulate the techniques as demonstrated by amone and "its all about the mapping" video. I am still struggling to get my head around exactly how I map and animate a line around the edge of a 3D object. Any further advice would be of hugh benefit. I am trying to work out how to create the masks in Photoshop and then animate the lines using Module8.

kind regards

Bev

Anyone else with any advice?
  • lamepantallas
    ultim8 member

by lamepantallas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:50 pm

About the question of the Velum or white sheets on the windows, I use on glass (i dont know the name in english) a sticker type film that simulates sandblast and is placed onto the window or glass. The projected image reflects great. Here is one of my installations using that material I discovered:

http://vimeo.com/15392360

Cheers!

oh and by the way, the projection on my video on the floor is actually a water mirror to create effects with the glass =)
    No se quien soy, pero se de que huyo. M.Montaigne
    Twitter: @popversus / @esegabbo
  • lamepantallas
    ultim8 member

by lamepantallas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:59 pm

About taking a photograph of a building, I use that technique. Take the photo, create the mask, create all possible variations of masks with the architecture of the building. Use the new mask global module (I recently discovered its possibilities when mapping), it fixes the image (position & scale), you do not have to arrange each and every mask into a layer just change them freely and dont have to worry about erasing a layer mask (which happens a lot in the heat of the vjing moment)... and simply concentrate on creating the righ textures for you set =)

I recently did the first monumental live video mapping in Honduras, (first ever in its history of my country!) and used this logic for the mapping of the building.

Saludos!

gabbo
    No se quien soy, pero se de que huyo. M.Montaigne
    Twitter: @popversus / @esegabbo
  • giobon

Re: Mapping Projection with Adobe Illustrator

by giobon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:59 am

Hi, Ilan could you share the technique for mapping with Illustrator you were talking about ?(the one Ratsi showed you) or direct to a link where I could learn about that technique? My main problem is how to keep the AI artboard from moving when I get close to its edge. Tnx.
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:28 pm

dunno about illustrator, but the trick with photoshop is to make sure the 2nd window is set to actual size (command 1)
  • giobon

by giobon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:07 am

tnx deepvisual, i'll try that. For now I've found a trick that works in AI - opening a new viewer for the projector and adjusting to the correct percentage in the navigator, the board is mainly still and you can work fairly well.