more seemingly simple noob questions....?????? Thanks
  • earsaregood

more seemingly simple noob questions....?????? Thanks

by earsaregood » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:12 pm

OK.....playing around with Modul8 is fun....learning how to get it to do what I say/think is a learning curve...

I will try to be specific with my questions...

1- BASIC SYNC OF 2 IDENTICAL MOVIES

I loaded 2 identical clips in A/B in the top layer of each back. I loaded the module (vs) Synchronize Layer and selected the 2 layers I want to sync....BUT when I do this the playback drifts between the 2 movies quickly and consistently.....

I just want to have a few layers of the same video playing with diff effects on each layer and then blend/sequence/mix the layers while they all stay synced to the audio track embedded on the movie.

I have tried this for an hour with two layers...with and without audio playback...but I cannot seem to get them all synced up.....thers are shots of singing in the video that must stay sync'd....??

help!

2 MAPPING MANY IMAGES FOR STAGE SHOW

....so I have an event in October that will need me to project onto 4 -6 "flats" and "columns" on stage. I will have a collection of stills and video that correspond to the performance and I need them mapped to the specific areas......question.....the process as I see it now is to set up then load each pic individually and map them onto the surfaces and save everything into media banks......

This means if I have 200 pics I have to mapp out each of the 200 pics....? Then not move them or then I'll have to re-map...right??

3 WEIRDNESS AND STUFF

Sometimes I find that it seems like modul8 will "hang" onto an effect. What I mean is that sometimes I turn off all the modules and effects and yet the video still seems to have an effect permanently stuck onto it....? This has happened a couple times and the only way I could get back to normal was to reload rthe clip......BUT I can see this as a real problem if I have a session with 200 clips and they randomly "hang" any thoughts?

4 BASIC VIDEO OUT NOOOOOOOB

Uhhh...how to record to DV camera? From the firewire port? USB port? One of those ports will be taken up with a camera input.....does the MBP auto send video out the FW bus or USB bus? Can you point me to the best/most comprehensive gear suggestion thread for this?

I have a MBP 2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo with 3 gigs RAM.....

what are my "must haves" for getting set-up for live gigging? I have DJ'd for years and I am a production audio pro...so I am interested in building a solid kit....short...sweet...must have list?

THANKS!!!!!

Matt CRawford
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:20 pm

oh dear.. too much information.

1 remove all your layers, create one layer, duplicate it, then use vs media to layers - its a different module..

2 set a layer for each screen on the a bus. set the mapping for each layer
    duplicate these to the b bus, you can now crossfade. if you hav emore than 5 layers you will have to set fade times and use vs media to layers.

3 sound like pilot error.

4 record the composite out into the camera.
  • earsaregood

thanks

by earsaregood » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:33 pm

*****EDIT*****

I can't seem to get this to play them back in perfect time...there seems to be a slight delay on start and a slight "drift" as time passes....I used the module suggested to no avail...?

but! I just thought it might be because I'm "testing" from my local drive.....I know better.......any other thoughts? I really am curious about the layer transport options.....

thanks..I am trying this now....

operator error is entirely impossible....even contemplating this puts mein a feedback loop....it must be the machine...it must be the machine..it must be the machine...i keep telling myself.....haha.....

but seriously....op error is most likely....I'll pay attention moving forward and note the problem should it arise again...

Thanks for the simple mapping explanation.....

:oops: :oops:

another easy question.....for each layer...is there a basic "transport" to allow me to stop and pause the movie? Or is it al controlled with the "speed" dial? Slightly confused that I don't see familiar transport control per layer...? Essentially I want to be able to scrub a video and "cue" a spot for triggered synced playback....

:shock: :shock:

MIDI QUESTION

I set up my Oxygen 8 and mapped it no problem! But the keys won't "lock" the functions i trigger...I mean when I puch down it engages, but disengages when I release....??? I need to hit the trigger and then hit it again to release the clip etc....I am not seeing options related to this....?

Thanks again everyone...sorry for my verbosity....but I'm *alls deep and determined to be mixing a short 3 minute song by tonight....!!!

Matt

P.S. Deepvisual thanks for your excellent posts and videos.....
  • earsaregood

"transport"

by earsaregood » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:48 pm

I found a work around for "transport" of sorts....

Module's

DC-PLAY-STOP-LAYERS PANEL

and then

GN-CHOPPER

I use the cue point #1 to "reset" and DC to trigger playback...there must be a better way to transport and "scrub" in the layers....set in out points?

matt
  • vj_ava

by vj_ava » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:59 pm

I am just wondering why you are not doing the work in a motion graphics program?

I would build a mask layout, time line, and media set up in motion. Then day of gig I would match needed points. From that I would export the video load into VJ software and control as needed.

Seems much easier as you have loads more control. Then again, this is just how I would do it, we all do things different.
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:47 pm

deepvisual: "4 record the composite out into the camera"
    Just curious - how would you do this? As far as I know there is no DV out in Modul8? Or do you mean recording an analogue signal?
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:36 am

yes, record the analogue.
    no dv out is correct.
  • earsaregood

still fleshing out process

by earsaregood » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:08 pm

I want to o do some "basic" things for a live performance and I am having trouble with the workflow.

1 load several clips that are the same and trigger them simultaneously. The assign media to layer does not play the clips back in perfect time.

2 please please please help me understand the most basic way to have 4 (different) clips loaded, stopped at the beginning, and then trigger them simultaneously. Am I tripping or is this function not built into Modul8?

can I really not "Stop" "recue" "Play" a series of layers at the same time?

I have a stage show that has 4 clips I need to play simultaneously mapped to four object on stage.

The basic concept is simple...load clips...play clips in "A" simultaneously...build/load preset "B" then "Play" "B" clips simultaneaously then crossfade.

There are 8 songs...8 sets of 10 layers with pre-set images and video.

Modul8 in this situtaion is mostly playback and I'll be triggering visual effects to the show in real time and sound effects from Live.

"finally" (haha, yeah right) I need a convenient way to "fade to black" easily....

Am I not utilizing some modules that would be helpful?

I cannot understand why I do not see a familiar "stop/play/pause" transport for each layer or series of layers...

what fundamentals am I missing??

Thanks everyone

vj_ava....thanks for the tip..I'll see what I can work up.....

Matt
  • earsaregood

making headway...sideways

by earsaregood » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:26 am

OK...I mapped keys in position mode to load the same clip into 3 different layers. I hit the key and BAM they all loaded and played.

But not in sync at all and drifting badly.

hmmm

so I then opened module recall LayerSetGroupsAB and clicked off my current layer set and back again,,,,,

BAM! They all played in sync...!!!

yee-haw!!

but now I have to keep switching off and onto the pre-set...

not good for live performance....

why can't I easily stop and start several clips in sync?