Snow Leopard compatibility?
  • luxcollective

Snow Leopard compatibility?

by luxcollective » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:23 pm

I presume Modul8 2.5.8 will not work with Snow Leopard and Quicktime X? Sounds like a lot of Quicktime-dependent software is breaking under Quicktime X. I am buying a new macbook pro 17 in a month and need to know if I will have to downgrade to 10.5

Thanks!
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:24 pm

I do not know it first hand, but it seems that when you install Sleo you need to customize to install quicktime full version. QTX is just a simple player. There may be other stuff set up the same way - SL is lean by default.
    But unless you want to be the problems tester you should wait until first update, better till second.
    Maybe it will not be so bad because there is not too many differences with Leo. Some pro's even say there isn't much for visual apps to upgrade as must.
    http://createdigitalmotion.com/2009/08/ ... #more-4347
  • ilan

by ilan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:12 pm

We have tested compatibility with SL and there are no apparent problems with running modul8.

Nevertheless (as the link that vankaru kindly provided suggests) I would err on the side of caution rushing to upgrade if you are in a production environment.
  • snt

by snt » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:19 pm

Here's an interesting article about QuickTime X:
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/6

Apparently it still uses QuickTime 7 in the background quite a bit:
    "For every one of the cases where QuickTime X is not up to the job, QuickTime 7 will fill in. Cutting, copying, and pasting portions of a video? QuickTime 7. Extracting individual tracks from a movie? QuickTime 7. Playing any movie not natively supported by an existing Apple handheld device? QuickTime 7. Augmenting QuickTime's codec support using a plug-in of any kind? You guessed it: QuickTime 7."[/b]
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:43 pm

and this article says that there will not be anything 64bit for video part for some time.
  • Liquidmetro

by Liquidmetro » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:40 pm

Using the latest non-beta of Modul8.

Upgraded to Snow Leopard and have noticed an issue using the video output (Early 08 MBP with DVI to S-Video adapter). I usually wait for a few software updates before rushing and upgrading!

I am getting a strange colour wash on the output monitor. All setting as before. It is nothing to do with PAL/NTSC etc. Display configs are identical to when running Tiger.

Until Snow Leopard all was good. Restarting the machine fixes it, although it can cause the mac to lock up and a further restart is required. Once resolved, issue does not repeat during performance. May do if disconnect and reconnect. Still no crashes with Modul8 to date.

This may all be fixed with the new mac software update and/or the new Modul8 beta. i am seeing blurry text on Modules which is fixed in the beta.

I haven't had time to diagnose further.

Just a warning.