mac + pc
  • infectedspleen

mac + pc

by infectedspleen » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:59 pm

hi all,

i was just wondering... is there a way to send an output signal from a pc ie resolume 2.41 to a mac book pro running modul8.

my idea, crazy as it seems is to use modul8 for all the mapping and use resolume to mix the visuals, and send the output to each mapped screen. maybe via video capture or over the lan.
    nestor
    super8 member

by nestor » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:22 am

Good idea for the next version of modul8
  • ilan

by ilan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:38 am

Please read this article:

http://www.modul8.us/2009/08/double-in-gr8-out.html

Contains a solution for your quest.
  • at-om-vision

Re: mac + pc

by at-om-vision » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:16 pm

Hello people,

It's my first time on this forum, I've done some small VJ-Mapping sessions, but I'm still in the beginning of the adventure..

So I was looking for a solution to connect different computer (PC / MAC) to a MacPro for a big project for New Year, I checked the forum for the whole afternoon.. and I found some ways, some I've to test.. I think the solution from
    ilan could be interesting, but the link is dead..

The MacPro is used with Modul8 & MadMapper to make the mapping.. we will receive a signal from the Light Table to synchronize during the big midnightshow, we have many VJs which will play during the night (and I don't now yet what configuration they'll use), and would like to be able to add some Live Cameras (optionnal)..

I first thought that with DV input it will be fine, but there is the Delay, and I'm not sure every VJ will be able to send DV signal in Output.. Then I'm looking for a way to Input their VGA/DVI signals into the MacPro, I've seen these VGAtoUSB converter, but I don't really have money for that and I'll have to buy 2 at least.. and I'm asking me if some of them support 25fps..

So if you have so good and efficents ways to do it, and of course.. if possible not expensive at all.. It would be so Greaaat.. thanks in advance..
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:56 pm

All quality options are rather expensive.
    You can get HDMI(there are converter adapters from DVI to HDMI) signal from one laptop to another via Matrox MXO2. Runs about 1000EUR.
    You can convert DVI/VGA to analog(scan converter 500EUR) and capture as live stream with USB or firewire(DV with big CPU overhead and half second delay)+questionable quality.
    I have not used USB-VGA adapters. Some people like these, some say these are crap of the crap.
    So I have pretty much given up on this. It sounds so good, but in reality does not work really. If I use more than one computer I just use switch with fader and create my workflow accordingly.
  • at-om-vision

by at-om-vision » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:00 pm

Thank you for your answer..

The link posted in ilan's post is dead, but I think I found the new direction : http://www.modul8.us/?p=93
    There is 2 solutions explained :

Matrox MX02
    As Vanakaru says, with MX02, there is the mini one for about 500..

QC Rehab Hack trick (or something like that)
    With some Quartz Composer and other plugins
    I've have tested, so i had 6 frame delay and the MacBookPro was soon running over 50% CPU with one small video, the big bad point was that I was only able to capture the first sceen image (so you don't see your VJs software interface anymore..)

VGA2USB
    It's a converter that make possible convert one VGA in USB input, it works with QT, so it should be possible to use it in MD8, I'm just not sure about the framerate and the image quality.. the only one I've seen is the Epiphane VGA2USB. I'm looking for to test one.. if you have one and live in Switzerland.. :mrgreen:

vanakaru wrote:You can convert DVI/VGA to analog(scan converter 500EUR) and capture as live stream with USB or firewire(DV with big CPU overhead and half second delay)+questionable quality.

I'm not sure I understand this one.. is that like the VGAtoUSB !?

keep on looking..
    Last edited by at-om-vision on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • afreemind

by afreemind » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Hey...

I have an Epiphane VGA2USBsolo in use - it works pretty fine with MD8.

If you have any Questions - please ask...

everything: http://www.afreemind.net
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:51 am

If you capture something you will always have a delay, just a question of how much and how much quality loss you will get. You ask to do professional expensive stuff for a small budget. I don't see that work out in a good way. If you search this forum, VJ forums and Google you will find tests with most of these options that shows and talks about the frame delay. I was not impressed with the VGAtoUSB solution. The best result I've seen is with the Matrox MX02 and that had about 6 frames dealy if I remember correctly, but that unit had other issues. There is a pretty funny review of the Matrox MX02 by Vade, check it out. I think Matrox was supposed to release a Thunderbolt version of the Matrox MX02 and that will solve at least one of the problems it has when used with a MacBook Pro. And maybe it's faster as well? You say you have a Mac Pro? Non of the Mac Pros have Thunderbolt ports yet so that's not an option then. But you can have a look at different capture cards like the ones from Blackmagic.
  • at-om-vision

by at-om-vision » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:44 am

Thanks all for your answers..

The Midi Thief wrote:You ask to do professional expensive stuff for a small budget.

why not to try.. :mrgreen: nothing to do with that.. but you got a really good website
    otherwise, you resume it well I think , I've seen Vade's tests, and I'll keep an Eye we on the BlackMagic..
    we need a good solution, maybe we switch after the computers with VGA switch.. or we will have to buy something
    by Epiphan the rack (6x VGA to USB) looks performent.. or one of the DVI pro solution..

cause I'm seeing that de Epiphan USB2VGA will be complicated.. or low framed

@Afreemind : with resolution do you capture.. cause I wanted to buy the Epiphan, and reading the spec..
    I've seen that.. (test made on PC) will it be better on Mac ??
    Resolut Frame Rate
    640×480 28.0
    800×600 20.6
    1024×768 10.0
    1280×1024 5.6
    1600×1200 4.3
    1920×1200 3.1

and maybe have to do something like 1600x600 or more, cause I have 2 beamers..