Background
  • vjjustinallen

Background

by vjjustinallen » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:33 am

Is there a way to make the background transparent instead of black? I have some logos that I want to place over a video. The path however is like this

video into edirol V4 input 1, modul8 (logos) into V4 input 2

Currently I have to use the Luminance Key on the V4 in order to get rid of the modul8 black background.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:55 am

No, I don't see how that could be possible. But why don't you get the video in to Modul8 and make the mix there? Then you can either go to from your Mac to the V-4 or straight from the Mac to the projector.

Two different ways of getting your camera feed in to Modul8 would be to either go with FireWire from your camera in to your mac. But that's pretty inconvenient, since Firewire cables aren't very long and Firewire extenders are quite expensive.

The other way would be using a digital to analog converter like the Canopus ADVC 55. With that solution you'd put the video cable (the same that you was putting in to the V-4) in to the D/A converter that is hooked up to your Mac with a FireWire cable.

The new version of Modul8 (still in beta, release very soon) has support for 4 camera inputs. But if you want more than one input you would need hardware that makes it possible to bring in more camera feeds in to your computers.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:48 am

Yes I think mixing with M8 is the best way. You would have way more creative possibilities. And you get much better quality video. And your logos will never look good on V4.

But my experience with firewire is somewhat different. Firewire video input to mac will be DV with these cards. That means you are converting from heavily compressed (interlaced) video feed and only PAL/NTSC size. So it will look kind of crap. There is only one FW converter that does uncompressed live feed
    http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/p ... dfg13941e/.
    And I have good experience with USB capture dongles like these
    http://www.echofx.com/videoglide.html

And I assume we are talking about MacBook Pro, not MacPro where you can use pro capture cards.
  • vjjustinallen

by vjjustinallen » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:51 pm

Bringing it into Modul8 is impossible (for me) I am a video DJ and mix videos live from Pioneer DVJ's. The thought of running a 5 hour show with a chain that runs through my MBP...well it's just not feasible for me.

Good links however. I have actually been looking at this new product to get video in

http://desktop.grassvalley.com/products ... /index.php
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:41 pm

Could be OK card for editing in DV format. But I have reasons not to like DV compression for live feed.
    I do not know your hardware, but I have seen desks superimposing logos. Maybe very expensive ones.
  • vjjustinallen

by vjjustinallen » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:51 pm

You are absolutely correct Vanakaru..I am looking at that one for DV editing. I wasn't thinking when I posted that in this thread.