How do I capture video from 2 live cams and save 1 output?
  • jgarifuna

How do I capture video from 2 live cams and save 1 output?

by jgarifuna » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:50 pm

I have a news studio with 2 camcorders.

I would like to:

1. Obtain input from 2 camcorders
    2. Switch to select which camcorder should be viewed at any time
    3. Record the output to a single file (almost ready for web publishing)

My questions are:

1. Does Modul8 allows me to do this?

2. If it does, what are the exact steps and/or where can I find a source that shows me the instructions to follow?

3.If Modul8 does not allow for this, is there a software-based solution that you could recommend to assist in this process?

Thanks in advance.

JG
  • jgarifuna

by jgarifuna » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:25 am

Can anyone assist with this issue?
  • anomad
    master

Re: How do I capture video from 2 live cams and save 1 outpu

by anomad » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:57 am

. is this something you need to do real time or will you be editing it later?

. 1. yes, modul8 can take multiple inputs (but i'd wait for v2.6 release which supports up to four video sources)

. 2. exact instructions depend on exactly what you're doing :) how is the video coming into the computer? are you trying to record sound? etc...

. 3. you'd be able to capture the video, but depending on the compression you used it might not be what you're looking for.

. other software? again, it depends on what you're trying to do...

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • jgarifuna

Re: How do I capture video from 2 live cams and save 1 outpu

by jgarifuna » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:18 am

anomad wrote:. is this something you need to do real time or will you be editing it later?

. 1. yes, modul8 can take multiple inputs (but i'd wait for v2.6 release which supports up to four video sources)

. 2. exact instructions depend on exactly what you're doing :) how is the video coming into the computer? are you trying to record sound? etc...

. 3. you'd be able to capture the video, but depending on the compression you used it might not be what you're looking for.

. other software? again, it depends on what you're trying to do...

-james
    (a nomad. )

Thanks for responding. Yes, this is something I would like to do in real time to minimize post-shooting editing.

2. The two cameras are being connected to the computer via firewire. I'm struggling showing both cameras view on modul8 and I'm not sure what to do past modul8's home screen. Navigating modul8 to take input from 2 camcorders and having the single output recorded to the computer is what I need instructions for.

I expect the output to be either from camcoder 1 or camcorder 2, depemding on which is selected in real time.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:10 pm

. the current version v2.5.8 only supports one camera at a time, set in the preferences. in the soon to be released version v2.6, it supports up to four cameras (and quite nicely at that)

. however, modul8 does not record audio, so that might be a show stopper for you.

. i'm not aware of an application that does what you're asking (but, i've never looked for something like that.. i'm sure it exists)

. good luck!

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • jgarifuna

by jgarifuna » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:59 pm

thanks again for your response.

The other option I was considering was the "Videonics MXPro DV MXProDV Video Mixer With Firewire" located at the link below. Is this an expensive way to go to switch video/audio in real time?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Videonics-MXPro-DV- ... 18d573559#
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:13 am

It sounds like a hardware solution. The mixer you found is one possibility. Edirol V4 with analog cameras or video out from your DV cam would be an other. I would do the recording with HDD recorder.
    However I can create the setup you need easy with Isadora, but there will be latency and will be always with computers.
    Our live work is done with the latest and maxed out Mac Pro with Blackmagic capture cards. So over all hardware mixers would be cheaper too. And since you seem to need just a switch going analog until actual recording would be the most cost effective.
  • jgarifuna

by jgarifuna » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:41 pm

I dont mind the latency. By real time I meant performing the video switch/mix in real time, but the video itself would not be published/aired in real time. It would be on demand. I just would like the instant switching/mixing to save time in syncing the videos during editing.

Just to clarify a bit, here is my current process:

1. shoot with two separate camcorders
    2. load two recorded videos into video editing software
    3. synchronize videos for proper mixing (I find this to be a pain and time consuming)
    4. slice as appropriate
    5. add intro
    6. add credits
    7. render/export for web publishing

Ideally, this is what I would like:

1. shoot with two separate camcorders and mix in real time to produce a single output video
    2. slice as appropriate
    3. add intro
    4. add credits
    5. render/export for web publishing

The real time mixer would be a huge time saver for me. Any cost-effective way to achieve this would be greatly appreciated.
    orion
    super8 member

by orion » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:18 pm

jgarifuna,
    I've only done something similar using one camera but from my understanding (i'm kinda new) this is what needs to happen;

First check this post:
    http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3951

I bought videoglide ($25) & Roxio Easy VHS to DVD ($80)

Then just used the composite input to usb to feed a live camera into M8. The go to preferences > Video Capture > Source Settings > (selected) Video Glide.

The dongle i bought has composite and s-video but i'm not sure you can use them both at the same time. I feel like i've read some where that if you want multiple cameras you can do a couple USB cameras and a firewire camera.

I'm on 2.6.3, not sure about previous versions.