Authorization Hell
    gmint
    ultim8 member

Authorization Hell

by gmint » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:34 am

First off, let me say that I love Modul8. Garagecube, I think you guys are fantastic and I think that 2.6 is a fantastic improvement over the already excellent previous version. Really, I have very, very few complaints about Modul8. That said, over the past couple of weeks, I've just about had several coronaries thanks to the damn authorization system in Modul8.

I don't know if it's just been the betas or the fact that I've been moving back and forth between my MBP and a Powermac G5 (switching video cards in that unit, to boot) but I've had nothing but trouble with the authorization system. It seems that the deauthorization doesn't work at all. Unless I'm missing something, when I deauthorize one machine, I ought to be able to authorize another machine that's sitting right next to it. That exact scenario plain doesn't work. In fact, I had to send a panic filled email to support to have my authorizations manually reset. Luckily, the response was quick otherwise I would have been up S*** creek without a paddle. I was similarly unable to authorize my MBP last night right before a show. Luckily, my brother had a still authorized copy of 2.5 on his machine which got us through the night (although sans the cool 2.6 features which I really could have used).

Enough griping though, here's the thing, Garagecube, I know you guys realize that Modul8 is a performance software. What you may not realize (given that you can have all of the authorizations you need) is that the LAST thing any of us needs before a show is to be locked out of our software. Granted, I SHOULD have fired up Modul8 before I went to the gig and made sure that everything was copacetic, but I'm sure we've all been in a situation where something simple bites you in the ass. That's especially true when wireless is hard/impossible to come by as it often is in my particular line of work.

I understand that you want to cut off piracy, but if I could ask just one thing it would be to cut back on the restrictive authorization scheme. It's one of those things where if you use the same machine for a long time, it'll probably never be an issue. But, if you're constantly upgrading and changing machines like I am, this can be a huge hassle. Personally, I think the two machine limit is a little bit restrictive in the first place (just my opinion) but I can certainly say that this wouldn't bite me nearly as often if it were a bit higher. Maybe you'll be inclined to take a cue out of Apple's playbook--after all weren't iTunes limited to two computers initially? Followed by an increased limit of five, then none at all...
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:58 pm

Hi,

I agree your point of view,
    We are thinking for a while to improve our authorization scheme for the future, especially for this kind of situation.
    One solution will be to have a user space webpage to manage and reset authorizations in case of emergency.
    It is in our to do list, thanks to remember us that's something important.

Best,
    Boris.
    Boris * garageCube team
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:25 pm

Boris,

Thanks for your attention to this issue.I hope it will be sorted out soon!
    DJ G Mint

gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:49 pm

Boris,

I wanted to mention again that it appears as if the online deauthorization is not working at all. While it deauthorizes the local machine just fine, it doesn't seem to free up the authorization on your end. Could you please let us know if this feature is working?

As I said before, this is becoming a bit of an issue. I just purchased 2.6 and so far I can only install it on one machine...
    DJ G Mint

• ilan

by ilan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:11 pm

Hello gmint,

David is currently trying to figure this out. I know that for my part it appears to be working so we have to find a way to reproduce the problem on our end to understand exactly what is happening.

Kind regards,
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:17 pm

ilan,

Thanks for the assistance. I want to assist in any way I can so let me tell you that we have been moving (or more accurately, trying to move) M8 authorizations around over the past couple of weeks. For example, I usually use my MBP to VJ, but sometimes I need it to DJ instead so I'll use a different machine to run M8. For example, I recently used a PowerMac G5 at a show where I needed my machine. I'm sure the whole beta has complicated things, but it seems to me that I ought to be able to just Deauth M8 on one machine and reauth it on the other machine and vice versa when needed. Unfortunately, even when I take one authorized machine, deauthorize it, and immediately try to authorize another machine, it's been failing 100% of the time.

I know my brother was going to contact you as well because he normally has his MBP authorized too, but now he can't upgrade it to 2.6 (despite the fact that it was authorized prior to the upgrade--which is the same thing that happened to me).
    DJ G Mint

• strictly

by strictly » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:20 am

I just wanted to add that I have been having the exact same problem, down to the letter.

The mod8 team are always very quick to respond and are totally on it and helpful, but as gmint says, when you are at a gig and swapping computers around with limited wireless, it's just heartstoppingly scary. Have had a few panic emails back and forth as well.

My visual partner and I have bought 2 licences (4 copies) between us, but this is still restrictive, particularly when we have alot of work on. So it's not like we are trying to surf by on limited copies, I think buying 4 copies is enough..IF the authorisation process is simplified or foolproof.

Good luck fixing the issue anyway.. cheers.
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi strictly and gmint,

The main problem we found: if you try to deauthorize online without an internet connection, Modul8 will not show an error. It will remove the authorization locally but not on our server.

To get it back, the workaround is :
    Modul8 2.6.1 and 2.5.10 will refuse to deauthorize online if no Internet connection is available.

Regards.

David.