FW3200
  • powerpoint

FW3200

by powerpoint » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:26 pm

I'm in the market for a new Powerbook and was disappointed that the express slot has been dropped from the 15" model as I felt that an eSATA array was the way forward. I've just heard about FW3200 tho' can anyone tell me if Apple are going this way? If not where does that leave us VJs who need lightning fast access to video? Any news , comments gratefully appreciated - before I go and by a 17" Pwerbook!

:?
    too much is better than not enough.
  • camil

maybe Light Peak

by camil » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:57 pm

I don't think Apple is going to implement fw3200 port in their future models of macbook pros.In mid of january 2010 new models arrive and some rumors say that are chance to see the new Intel port, Light Peak. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Peak
  • powerpoint

by powerpoint » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:12 am

I thought I was on top of technology! I'd heard nothing about Light Peak. I want to future proof as much as I can - I think I'll hold on for Apple to release Light Peak Mac! Thanks for your help.
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:33 am

that's what happens with technologies… you buy something and a few weeks after it's already has been… in the case of "buying a mac" you should go to macrumors, they have a buyer's guide that is pretty accurate

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
  • powerpoint

by powerpoint » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:36 pm

excellent tip - thanks!
  • camil

Re: maybe Light Peak

by camil » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:10 pm

camil wrote:I don't think Apple is going to implement fw3200 port in their future models of macbook pros.In mid of january 2010 new models arrive and some rumors say that are chance to see the new Intel port, Light Peak. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Peak

Well, not in 2010 but in 2011.
    Today Apple and Intel launched Thunderbolt. Ultrafast and ultraflexible, the Thunderbolt pipeline is more than 12 times faster than FireWire 800 and up to 20 times faster than USB 2.0, and it offers unprecedented expansion capabilities. It changes what you can do on a notebook.
    http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:27 am

. the thunderbolt looks pretty cool.. i wonder how many of those things you can have going on @ once...

. like running four firewire cameras into modul8 at the same time?
    . using it like a tripleHead2go ? (quadraHead2go?? )

. or will you be limited to one type of 'device' at a time....

. the new video card looks promising too.

-james
    (a nomad. )
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:46 pm

I think the video runs down the cable but doesn't interact with the Thunderbolt. You could theoretically add another graphics card down the thunderbolt chain but I can't imagine it will run as well as the builtin GPU.

Also multiple firewire camera would need multiple firewire hubs with their own chipset - other wise it will no different from daisy chaining multiple cameras on your current setup.
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:49 pm

Good call lotech. I imagine black magic and/or aja is working on an interface. With that bandwidth they could have several ins and outs on one device.
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:00 am

yeah and it will all depend on some poxy little plastic connector that will break if you look at it too hard.
    I long for the day they start making decent connectors on computers.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:06 am

lotech wrote:Also multiple firewire camera would need multiple firewire hubs with their own chipset - other wise it will no different from daisy chaining multiple cameras on your current setup.

. agreed - but it sounds like the bandwidth is there if someone made the right type of breakout box.

-james
    (a nomad. )