. green screen effects in modul8
  • anomad
    master

. green screen effects in modul8

by anomad » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:49 am

. i've been working on green-screen type effects in modul8. here's my latest video :

http://vimeo.com/8641701

. note, i did the whole thing realtime using modul8! :)

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:15 am

This looks great. Would you explain bit more what did you do there. I watched the video 3 times, did not get it really. Specially I am interested to understand how this *fun to move around* was made.
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:45 am

Hi,

Nice !
    Did you try the module Chromakey (layer) as well ?

Boris.
    Boris * garageCube team
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:38 pm

vanakaru wrote:This looks great. Would you explain bit more what did you do there. I watched the video 3 times, did not get it really. Specially I am interested to understand how this *fun to move around* was made.

. i was running the whole video through modul8 - so whenever i activated the chromakey, everything green would become transparent.

. physical set up:

Sony PS3 eyecam and Targus Keypad via USB into MacBookPro
    MacBookPro running modul8
    DVI->RCA adapter out (as second screen) into Canon HV30 camera (to record the video) and split into a Commodore64 monitor facing me so i could see what i was doing (hence why i keep looking below the camera :) )
    separate microphone to capture audio (noisily) into Cannon HV30

. software setup - running modul8
    Layer 1 - alien video clip, made in Poser 7 (monochrome w/transparent background). running auto color at a 1:2:4 ratio subtractive. filter module w/IscInferno1 effect
    Layer 2 - Live video from ps3 camera - small brightness adjustment. filter module w/( M8 ) Luma Key green, (FF) IscKeyChroma1 and (FF)IscHypno1 effect. i mapped keys on the numeric keypad to turn them on/off.
    Layer 3 - background videos. switched via the keypad

. so, with a chroma key effect active, anything in the neon-greenish range would be 'transparent' on layer 2 and show whatever was on layer 3. it was all live - well, mostly. i had a second camera running from the side that i faded in to show a different angle of my picking up the second piece of green paper. i could've had it wired in as part of the modul8 setup, but was having too much fun playing around w/the green screen to get around to coding that in!

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:40 pm

boris wrote:Hi,

Nice !

Boris.

. d'oh! :oops: i forgot that one was there...

. look for 'green screen effects in modul8 part 2' very soon! :)

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:15 pm

Thanks for this detailed explanation. It helps me point to what i tried to accomplish.
    BTW your videos have been very useful. Thanks for doing these!
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:53 am

boris wrote:Nice !

. boris - i finished another short clip last night on using the chromakey (layer) module. however - i couldn't see what the 'alpha gate' level, limit and smooth were supposed to be doing. i must've experimented with them for about an hour and the best i could guess is that LIMIT all the way to the right will make my whites yellow. am i missing something w/what those controls should be doing ?

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • VJnutcracker
    super8 member

by VJnutcracker » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:04 am

I've had great success using the M8 Chromakey filter within the filter module as it gives you full control over the colour to key out and tweak with the tolerance control.

Lighting is as important as the keying method you use.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:09 am

VJnutcracker wrote:I've had great success using the M8 Chromakey filter within the filter module as it gives you full control over the colour to key out and tweak with the tolerance control.

Lighting is as important as the keying method you use.

. do you use the 'alpha gate' level, limit and smooth controls when using the chromakey module ?

. and yes, lighting is key. in my example i'm only about 3 feet from the green screen with two non-diffused fluorescent lights in line with me in a very small room! no front lighting b/c i didn't have any more space. it was just a quick $20 test. :)

-james
    (a nomad. )
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:55 am

Very impressive video. A while back I basically asked if it was possible to get results like what you demonstrated here without a sophisticated green screen system and the answer seemed to be "no." IMHO, you've proven that wrong. Very interesting...
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
  • VJnutcracker
    super8 member

by VJnutcracker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:31 am

anomad wrote:do you use the 'alpha gate' level, limit and smooth controls when using the chromakey module ?

I meant using M8 Chromakey in the FILTER module, it gives you control to choose the perfect colour to key out with tolerance adjustments to help fine tune it.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:08 pm

VJnutcracker wrote:I meant using M8 Chromakey in the FILTER module, it gives you control to choose the perfect colour to key out with tolerance adjustments to help fine tune it.

. ahh ok. i must've skipped by that one in the filter list. i was looking at the module version - which has some extra controls i couldn't figure out.

. video test of the module Chromakey (layer) at http://vimeo.com/8733025

-james
    (a nomad. )
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:00 pm

anomad wrote:
    VJnutcracker wrote:I meant using M8 Chromakey in the FILTER module, it gives you control to choose the perfect colour to key out with tolerance adjustments to help fine tune it.

. ahh ok. i must've skipped by that one in the filter list. i was looking at the module version - which has some extra controls i couldn't figure out.

. video test of the module Chromakey (layer) at http://vimeo.com/8733025

-james
    (a nomad. )

The results you got in this video are much more in line with what I saw when I tried this. Personally, I would like to see anyone get acceptable results out of that particular module...
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
  • caracoisvoadores

Re: . green screen effects in modul8

by caracoisvoadores » Mon May 19, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi, Great stuff, I came across your video when doing a search to find some answers for the project I am doing at the moment.
    I am trying to use modul8 to illuminate a big drawing that is made with chalk in black board.
    The idea is not to illuminate everything in the black board but Illuminate just the white lines of the drawing.

Do you think I would be able to do this with the chromakey?
    sigmasix
    master

Re: . green screen effects in modul8

by sigmasix » Mon May 19, 2014 1:41 pm

you can do this using the blend modes integrated in the main interface (just below the color sliders)

but for this to work you might prefer to use a camera with an infrared filter so there won't be interference with the video projector (the video projector light is not visible in the infrared). Also, you'll have to calibrate the camera so the drawing on the camera matches its position on the blackboard when projected on it again. You might be able to do that with the "Perspective Transform" module, or directly on the projection with madmapper.

There also will be the "shadow" of the guy drawing that is going to hide the projection and the camera view.

Good luck