2 Blackmagic Intensity Pro hooked on a MacPro
  • bIRDS

2 Blackmagic Intensity Pro hooked on a MacPro

by bIRDS » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Ok, so I posted the question in the sticky video capture thread but no answer

I want to plug in 2 intensity cards into a early 2009 MacPro, I've seen a single one works ok, but what happens with 2? can modul8 see 2 equal devices and use both of them, or the cards have to be different models, like, ! intensity pro, and one decklink sdi??
  • bIRDS

by bIRDS » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:55 pm

No words on this??
  • ilan

by ilan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:37 am

There are people who have been using 2 Blackmagic Intensity Pro cards with modul8 for 2 inputs with success.

Specifically these guys:
    http://www.pfadfinderei.com/
  • bIRDS

by bIRDS » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:39 am

Ok, s0 bought the cards, 3 intensity pro, and one decklink sdi and I have just managed to mix 2 signals in modul8 from 2 intensity pro.

I still havent manage to get any kind of signal from the decklink sdi, but its not a modul8 problem. Maybe I screwed up by buying the decklink one.... I will update as soon as I research more.
  • ilan

by ilan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:59 am

Excellent about the 2 working. Do let us know about the other card. It is always good to have as much reference as possible for the community.
  • bIRDS

by bIRDS » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:23 am

Well, I tried to install the Decklink sdi, but no luck, I just cant change the card's input settings and get some analog signal in... It seems its a defective piece, but still havent got any response from blackmagic support so I'm not completly shure about this.

Also, It looks like different card models wont mix pretty well, because when I installed the decklink it replaced the intensity pro settings in system preferences, so you cannot configure the intensity pro input or otput, only the decklink's.
  • bIRDS

by bIRDS » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Ok so this are the latest news. I plugged in 3 intensity pro cards, on an early 2009 MacPro and got some nice results!. Thse setup was like this:

3 blackmagic intensity pro capturing:
    2 video signals comming from 2 macbook output through firewire via cannopus advc100
    1 cc signal comming from an edirol V8

I needed multiple outputs and because I could not plug in an extra video output card I had to use a matrox th2go.
    One of the outputs was an Element Labs Stealth screen, very nice, as transparency is one of its specs.

So I applied freeframe effects, pixel fx (saturation, contrast etc), Matrix transform etc. and Modul8 rocked wet and hard for at least 10 hours of preshow preparation with no problem, no restarts needed. I only restarted the computer previous the show for optimal performance. Nice work guys!

I will post some pictures of the gig and maybe a tutorial for multiple input/output on modul8 2.6
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:59 am

bIRDS wrote:I will post some pictures of the gig and maybe a tutorial for multiple input/output on modul8 2.6

. please do! :D i love checking out other people's setups

-james
    (a nomad. )
    Valparaiiso
    activ8 member

by Valparaiiso » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:03 am

I would try to do the same without ADVC100 system :
    both macbooks plugged from their dvi (you need adaptors, mini-dvi->dvi-d and another dvi-d>hdmi female, and a hdmi cable)
    to hdmi In (you got one on Intensity Pro), settings their signals to 720p Television, for example.
    It works perfectly in M8 (I do it with a Decklink HD Extreme 3).
    Nice to see you going further !
  • R-e-R

by R-e-R » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:57 am

hey guys,
    nice to hear that the results are working well with black magic.
    i was planning on building system similar for mixing 2 or 3 macbook pros into a mac pro and then out to the beams from there.
    should i get the intensity cards for the mac pro to make this possible?
    are there better solutions than intensity or is this the best option?
    i have a decklink studio card in my pc, but sort of wanted to keep that system as is for recording the a/v sets.
    any advice on this topic would be appreciated, regards.