iPad & Modul8
    g4jon

iPad & Modul8

by g4jon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:21 pm

Question?
    The iPad, can this device control Modul8? if so, could the interface of m8 be configured to the ipad screen size? Or create "tabs" for different M8 parameters, auto-rotate, scale, etc

A Modul8 interface! on a relatively large screen (for an easy to carry), MOBILE & wireless

Any other thoughts on how the iPad could influence our interaction & control over M8? The iPad has an accelerometer. A technology not till recently utilized, what can be done with it?

I would be interested in any thoughts the GarageCube team have, as perhaps a few others :D [/u]
  • te-c
    super8 member

by te-c » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:51 pm

You can use it with Touch OSC
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:20 pm

yep… this iPad + touch OSC might be the death of the Lemur…
  • ilan

by ilan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:06 pm

People have been using the accelerometer of the Wii to control modul8.

There is already a lot of people who have been using the iPhone + TouchOSC to control modul8:

http://www.vimeo.com/groups/modul8/videos/9226942

The iPad is definitely a valuable option for people looking for a relatively inexpensive touch screen controller.

As cool as it is I still think that pads, knobs and sliders, tactile interfaces are the best way to 'really' control software.

I will inevitably one day own an iPad. I think this tablet thing is the future and suites the needs of most basic users. I will wait for a while because I never buy 1.0 of anything.

As I already have 4 different MIDI controllers I don't see a reason for needing a 5th.
  • looptid

by looptid » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:05 am

Set up your gear, take your ipad to the bar and hang out and wirelessly control your video from your seat? Yes please. Just imagine the following scenario:
    (Drink in hand, talking to attractive female at bar in venue you're mixing at)
    "Hey, can you press that button on the screen there?"
    (She presses the button and the videos all change and the lighting dramatically changes inside the venue)
    "Hey thanks babe"

This could be the first instance of a chick digging the VJ for once...omg......
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:33 am

looptid wrote:Set up your gear, take your ipad to the bar and hang out and wirelessly control your video from your seat? Yes please. Just imagine the following scenario:
    (Drink in hand, talking to attractive female at bar in venue you're mixing at)
    "Hey, can you press that button on the screen there?"
    (She presses the button and the videos all change and the lighting dramatically changes inside the venue)
    "Hey thanks babe"

This could be the first instance of a chick digging the VJ for once...omg......

Yes, I thought it would be the change of life as we know it.
    Apple will make smart men attractive and beautiful women smart. Whopiiii!!!!
  • ilan

by ilan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:20 am

I have to comment on this because I think that this is often the reason that club owners might not be too keen on spending the 'right' amount of money on VJs.

A DJ gets well paid because he is pretty much required to pay attention to what he is doing the whole time he is working. The eyes are on the decks, the headphones are on for cueing the next song.

If you are engaged in your work, keeping busy, staying with the music, connecting with the room, people will notice. If people start to ask you questions, do what the DJ does and politely wave your hand and get back to work.

If you set this as example of how you work then the people who work in the club will notice this and your role will be valued. This kind of approach is infectious. It sets an example that all of us as VJs can benefit from.

These statements do not come from speculation, but from tried and true experience.
  • chindogu

: : We´re just developing an ipad 4 modul8 iapp : :

by chindogu » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:47 pm

Some days ago i start a topic in the vj´s forum Clandestina, for developing an application for ipad based in OSCemote and Touch OSC focused in modul8.
    We are creating a group of os x developers, designers and vjs interesting as a collaborative project.The project is just growing and we are open minded to any collaboration or new member of course.
    Here is the topic.
    http://groups.google.com/group/clandest ... landestina

Sorry about my bad english
  • ilan

by ilan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Thanks for the tip. Only in Spanish though :(..
  • chindogu

: : Yes but if you help me we could start to translate... :

by chindogu » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:14 pm

Yes but if you help me we could start to translate... or start a new topic here ... :D
  • looptid

by looptid » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:03 am

ilan wrote:I have to comment on this because I think that this is often the reason that club owners might not be too keen on spending the 'right' amount of money on VJs.

A DJ gets well paid because he is pretty much required to pay attention to what he is doing the whole time he is working. The eyes are on the decks, the headphones are on for cueing the next song.

If you are engaged in your work, keeping busy, staying with the music, connecting with the room, people will notice. If people start to ask you questions, do what the DJ does and politely wave your hand and get back to work.

If you set this as example of how you work then the people who work in the club will notice this and your role will be valued. This kind of approach is infectious. It sets an example that all of us as VJs can benefit from.

These statements do not come from speculation, but from tried and true experience.

I agree 100% and as well have gained gigs and success through the attitude and commitment that you mention. When i need to take a break, get something to drink and stretch the legs, I could still be mixing while not standing at my table. In Seattle the night clubs don't allow drinks on stage or people that are working to be drinking at their 'unit'--bands on stage, VJs at their gear, bar tenders behind the bar, etc. I was drinking a diet coke from the bar at my station and had an undercover cop make a scene because he assumed there was alcohol in it. So drinks stay at the bar now. I guess what I'm trying to say is that i love the potential of a customizable, wireless, touchscreen for this price.
  • dRead

by dRead » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:27 am

I use TouchOSC for all of my shows to control M8 and a V4, I show my client at the beginning so that they know that I have full control no matter where I am in the venue, then they don't really care where I am as long as something is on the screens. I can then freely roam around the club etc... and when I see the promoter looking at the screens I am able to instantly give him a logo/money shot without him seeing me do it ;) .

Can't wait to get an iPad, trying to get more than 2 fingers working controls on the little screen is near implossible, but the pad ...
  • stillet

by stillet » Fri May 14, 2010 10:34 pm

i used touchosc with my iphone..and now on my ipad....
    but is it possible, in a future, that will build a vj app that make possible don'use the notebook (maybe pad8 eheh)?
    because on the ipad there is a vga output and the screen is enough large for easy use of the app...
  • mmlemon

by mmlemon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi all,
    I've released MIDI iPad controller application, "iMIDICon".

This app uses CoreMIDI, so this app sends MIDI signals via wi-fi.
    If you are interested in my app, please check it.

http://www.imidicon.com/

In next version, custom layout feature will be implemented.

thanks.
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:29 pm

Tanks a lot for the info, this is something worth trying!