RECORD A/V?
    cheveria

RECORD A/V?

by cheveria » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:09 am

Ok i know im not the only one that is having this problem but please Modul8 Team its time to do something about it. I think Modul8 is the best VJ software out there but the lack of recording A/V its just unexplainable. Ok i can live "maybe" without recordin A/V at the same time, but even when i record just video i get that frame glitch, its not smooth.
    I know by default it records 15fps but when i do it in 25 fps its still the same thing.
    Glitches glitches glitches......

Maybe there is a device out there to record A/V live at the same time? i would like to know which is if somebody knows it, but i still think that modul8 should have that.

Im sorry M8 team if i went too far with my complaints. But i think the technology is moving too fast and you guys couldnt fix this minor problem for all of us hustlin' VJs.

thanx.
    Hard labor kills, i just VJ instead.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:03 pm

I think the best way to record your live mix without killing your CPU and having various unpredicted problems is to split your out put and take it to the scan converter and recording analog (S)video with recorder of your liking(DVcam, HDD recorder or whatever).
    There are apps that do firewire out DV signal, but I never liked the result and it using my only firewire bus.
    PRO Scan converters are readily available on ebay (scanDO Pro) for good price.
    To get audio as well I record it separate direct from mixer anyway and edit to sync later.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:25 pm

. @cheveria - if you're not record live video in - try the logical record, then render it out... much better results..

. and i agree w/vanakaru about recording to an external device - however, the maximum resolution i can capture on my HDcam is 720x480... i'd like to go bigger at some point! :)

. for longer sets, i just convert the VGA to NTSC and record onto an old VHS machine - quality is that great, but it gets the idea across.

-james
    (a nomad. )
    cheveria

by cheveria » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:46 am

thanx guys, but i still believe there is something else out there that we can achieve this
    easier and cheaper. A Modul to record AV at the same time will be nice :)

@ vanakaru: scanDO Pro is about 3,000 $ i dont know how much cheaper will be on ebay
    but im sure we are not talking hundreds.

@ anomad: do you think Logical record will slow down the CPU?

thanx for your help guys.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:42 am

cheveria wrote:@ anomad: do you think Logical record will slow down the CPU?

. nope! if i understand it correctly, it captures all the movements (sliders, knobs, fx, etc) but not other things (live video, audio in levels, some automated parameters) and when you render it, it 'replays' your motions, frame by frame and puts out some excellent quality video - you can also specify the size+codec you want to use. i've created a lot of my vj 'loops' using this method.

. give it a test run and see if it works for you. :D

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:23 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scan-Do-Pro-1271-Vi ... 439df1cdbd

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scan-Do-Select-1290 ... 3caae78c2f

http://cgi.ebay.com/Communications-Spec ... 3ef9eab0f2

If you recording device will do 1024x768 then Scanner will output it fine. Just check what the max output is - there are manuals on-line. The newer ones do full HD, but these cheapos are 1024 usually.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:52 pm

anomad wrote:
    cheveria wrote:...
    . nope! if i understand it correctly, it captures all the movements (sliders, knobs, fx, etc) but not other things (live video, audio in levels, some automated parameters)

Ilan posted not too long ago a solution to the audio input. If you do audio levels through a module instead of straigt through the main interface, the original audio levels will be recorded in a logical recording. Might take a little bit of module programming but still sweet!
  • R-e-R

by R-e-R » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:09 pm

i bought a blackmagic decklink studio and a pc just for recording full hd a/v..works great...but i see what you mean...in logical record it only records vid no audio or input layers....for me it was worth the extra money for my record setup because im djing with serato video sl and needed my a/v renders to stay in perfect sync and remain hi res.
    cheveria

by cheveria » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:28 pm

thats good R-e-R. But we are talking 1,000$ investment, Man im a VJ from Kosovo,
    Do you even know where Kosovo is? :) with a 1,000 $ people get married here. :)
    Sorry i know thats not the point but its a bit too much for me at this stage,
    Maybe after i get a couple of gigs i will try to solve this problem that is killing me slowly.

thanx for your reply though, to all of you!
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:37 pm

We have talked about it before, but maby some new genious product has come out on the market?

What is the best hardware for recording a/v in HD? In a perfect wolrd I would need something portable and not too expensive. In worst case I could settle for one of the two.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:42 am

Fry_up wrote:What is the best hardware for recording a/v in HD? In a perfect wolrd I would need something portable and not too expensive. In worst case I could settle for one of the two.

. well, for a mere $900 - you have something like this - http://sewelldirect.com/GefenTV-High-De ... er-PVR.asp

. but i could've sworn i've seen similar systems in the <$500 range that did vga - from a asian supplier at one point.

-james
    (a nomad. )
    (edited - put wrong link in first time)
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:57 am

anomad wrote:. well, for a mere $900 - you have something like this - http://sewelldirect.com/GefenTV-High-De ... er-PVR.asp

. but i could've sworn i've seen similar systems in the <$500 range that did vga - from a asian supplier at one point.

The Geffen box seems nice and the price is not terrible for what it does. The size seems to be about the same as a Mac Mini (?) which would pass.

If you find a link to that asian unit, I'd love to take a look at it!
  • te-c
    super8 member

by te-c » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:25 am

Yes I would be interesting in it, too.
    /// Chuck Goldfinger ::: Live Visuals Frankfurt /// VJing, Videomapping, Stagedesign, Photography, Graphic Design and more based in Rhein-Main area ::: by bk-Art.org ///
  • R-e-R

by R-e-R » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:13 pm

cheveria wrote:thats good R-e-R. But we are talking 1,000$ investment, Man im a VJ from Kosovo,
    Do you even know where Kosovo is? :) with a 1,000 $ people get married here. :)
    Sorry i know thats not the point but its a bit too much for me at this stage,
    Maybe after i get a couple of gigs i will try to solve this problem that is killing me slowly.

thanx for your reply though, to all of you!

sorry no idea where kosovo is...
    over here you can get a bad ass pc for 300 and a black magic intensity for 199 so its a 500 dollar investment but if you care about quality of recording its worth it.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:42 pm

anomad wrote:. but i could've sworn i've seen similar systems in the <$500 range that did vga - from a asian supplier at one point.

I saw this new device from China:

http://www.itechnews.net/2010/03/09/ram ... recording/

I don't know if/when it will be available outside china? But it could have some potential. I'm not sure about the H264 compression of the recording however. Maybe it could be done well on the fly, maybe not. I have a compact little Pinnacle device (just straigt 4:3) for recording but some image types looks really terrible in the H264 compression (example: moving colored particles against black background).