Serial Input for modul 8
  • dickintosh

Serial Input for modul 8

by dickintosh » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:30 am

Oh hey guys,
    i am currently creating an installation with a metal sculpter, My goal is to use video projections to create a virtual video environment to be displayed against a screen in front of several masks. These mask will be mounted on stands which allow them to rotate giving the viewer a way to interact with the masks and there environment. I have spent the semester using modul 8 and have become quite comfortable with its interface and happy with its performance.

Originally I had Planned to use the move function within modul 8 as well as a series of image masks to show the viewing angle of the corresponding physical mask. Inorder to do this i had mounted them onto a potentiometers thinking to myself great just need to set up an arduino, it plug it in a boom input device... The issue. How the hell do i get that input device into modul 8 other then a midi controler and allow it to control the move function. Is there anyway to get a signal from an arduino into modul 8... or can anybody think of a less dumb way to go about this that might play nicer with modul 8. If anyone has got any idea for a solution let me know!
    thanks so much
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:19 am

. take a look at junXion from Steim (http://www.steim.org/steim/junxion_v4.html ) - the pro version ($90) say it will take info directly from an arduino (amongst other cool features) and convert to midi. you can even try the demo to see if it will do what you need.

. i bought a copy to use w/an xbox 360 controller -> MIDI -> modul8 and have been impressed w/the depth and control it gives you. however, it seems to crash after running for 5 days straight...

-james
    (a nomad. )
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:27 pm

I love junXion but haven't used it for a while. Another way would be to communicate with the Arduino by using Midi. There are Midi libraries for Processing so either go MIDI over USB or add a MIDI shield to your Arduino. But the junXion way seems a lot faster if you can spend the $90. Thanks for the tip btw, James! junXion can do other cool stunts like video tracking too these days.
  • dickintosh

by dickintosh » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:40 am

Bros thank you for the quick response i try them out tonight.
  • pushkapor

Re: Serial Input for modul 8

by pushkapor » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi!

I m working on a similiar project where i eant to control the rotation of layers in modul8 by the potentiometer. Did you made it work somehow?

Let me know.
    Thanks!