VDMX vs. Modul8
  • roboterrr

VDMX vs. Modul8

by roboterrr » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:50 pm

I've been reading/searching this forum for some time, poking around on demos of Modul8, VDMX, Isadora, and Resolume, and now I'm ready to invest in a VJ software tool. Based on what I've learned, either Modul8 or VDMX will best fit the bill. Each of them have features I like, so I'm reaching out to you all -experienced users on this forum - in hopes that you'll be able to point to some features I may be overlooking or unaware of.

REQUIREMENTS/INTENDED USE:
    -installation art
    -live, real-time performance (dance, theater, opera)
    -pre-recorded, music-synced videos (via midi piped in from Ableton)
    -possible simple dmx control of lasers and strobes (in the future)
    -live video camera input
    -projection mapping

MODUL8
    PROS:
    -slick, high quality output
    -large user base
    -easy interface
    -ability to use/build modules
    -logical record (does VDMX do anything like this?)
    -impressive 3D effects

CONS:
    -limited MIDI configurability
    -inability to sync all parameters to a data source
    -requires Midipipe and a lot of configuration to connect to Ableton

VDMX (it's a complex program, so i may be wrong or have overlooked some features)
    PROS:
    -"synch to data source" feature rocks
    -deep midi control, no need for midi pipe
    -modularity
    -easy-to-use audio analysis tool
    -easy to integrate with Ableton

CONS:
    -video output seems lower quality than Modul8 when using certain effects, like rotating and scaling.
    -does it have similar 3D effects to those in Modul8's "Transformer" section?

Thanks for any help you can offer...

r
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sat May 01, 2010 6:56 pm

I am not VDMX user. I have just tried it few times and gave up every time. Interface is too dark and to my brain non logical. I have returned to it couple of times because the ability to build your own layout with just the elements you going to use and Quartz integration. But without success.
    On the other hand Modul8 performance is so good that I have not real need to look for other. There have been many suggestions made how to improve MIDI use and some were included in 2.6. But MIDI will be obsolete probably and OSC or something else will replace it soon, so maybe there is enough MIDI support as it stands.
    With Ableton you do not need MidiPipe at all. But it may make your life easier.
    As for sync to data source. First you may want to explain what do you mean by *sync to data*. Second I prefer dedicated app like Isadora to use various data controlling video. I would absolutely hate M8 becoming a bloated beast doing everything and nothing too well.
  • roboterrr

by roboterrr » Sat May 01, 2010 8:38 pm

thanks, vanakaru!

vanakaru wrote:With Ableton you do not need MidiPipe at all. But it may make your life easier.

really? that's awesome - could you explain or point me to a link?

i like how VDMX shows up in Ableton like this:
    Image Image

vanakaru wrote:As for sync to data source. First you may want to explain what do you mean by *sync to data*.

sync to data:
    in VDMX, you get this context menu for every slider, allowing you to link the slider to an array of other parameters ("data sources"), and control its behavior:

AFAIK, Modul8 only allows you to do this with a few parameters in the "Animation FX" section:

vanakaru wrote:I prefer dedicated app like Isadora to use various data controlling video. I would absolutely hate M8 becoming a bloated beast doing everything and nothing too well.

At this point, I'm looking for a single tool to get started with.

aside from VDMX's interface and complexity, what would you say are the cons of VDMX, as compared to M8? i don't mind the semi-modular interface - I actually like its flexibility and depth.
  • Dijjital

by Dijjital » Sat May 22, 2010 9:26 am

VDMX doesn't support multiple graphics cards. Modul8 does and it had a great output configuration utility.
    With a triplehead to go you can get the same out of VDMX. I find the interface of Modul8 more intuitive but VDMX has a lot of flexibility where Modul8 is pretty rigid in terms of control.
  • iskat

by iskat » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:58 am

well both got they own pros n cons,
    but in vdmx u could integrate with some patches from quartz composer specially if u into some live interaction..u could do that in m8 if u could build modules but no so sure how complicated is that.
    + u can configure the lay out of vdmx, automate every single parameter which is im quit lost with m8 when try to do this (OSC)..
    vdmx doesnt support multiple outs. m8 yes it does
    well if u doesnt mind get into modular thingy try Max/msp jitter..but required some stiff learning process..
    there is a java object called robot