TouchOSC LAyout for iPad
  • pixelschubser

TouchOSC LAyout for iPad

by pixelschubser » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Hello i edited the nice TouchOSC Layout from VJ Chinowski for the iPad feel free to Download it:

http://benjaminjantzen.de/2010/06/touchosc-layout-for-ipad-and-modul8/
  • ilan

by ilan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:04 pm

Have you had any experience performing with it yet?
  • pixelschubser

by pixelschubser » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:55 pm

yes i performed twice with it

i will just write a view of my experiences

- i was impressed how reactive it is there is nearly no delay even when i was 100m away.

- i realized that i have to make an workaround at the actual layout but this is totally personal cause i realised that some things i use a lot live i didnt had in the layout. at the moment it is just an basic layout.

- setting it up is easy and without any problems

- m8 crashed once when i was using to much multitouch at once i just wantet to know weather i can crash m8 by using the iPad too hard.

- the ractions of the audience where awesome know a lot more poeple know what a VJ is.

- it is perfect for "soundchecking" being able to walk around the location and check what videos and stuff work great in the location is really good.

- need the feedback from macbook to iPad but when i remember right there was an tutorial on vimeo how to get it working so watch out version 1.2 of the layout
  • ilan

by ilan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:56 pm

My first impression is that all the controls are too small. There is so much space on this thing and these layouts barely fill the bill. Some editing is needed here.

If we can get feedback working here then a series of 'layer focus' buttons would be very useful in the area that is in the right side of the first page containing the media set layout.

Otherwise, the two most compelling statements you make are:

- Nice for moving around a room when setting up the projectors
    - Moving around the audience so they know that someone is controlling the videos

Lets keep this thread rolling.
  • pixelschubser

by pixelschubser » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:59 pm

i made all the knobs much bigger than they where in the ipod layout - sure you can make them bigger but i wanted to have space for more knps and sliders - at the moment its just a basic layout i will make more into it when i find the time i was thinking that i need the sequenzer modul and space for other modules.

next which is necessary is to have the posibility to activate every layer on every side of the app there should be enough space - as ilan recommended for the first page

i think this layout is still beta i just wanted to share it that others can develope on it too.

my expirence with knew midi devices is that you learn in a performance what else is necessary

will write an short how too.... soon
  • ilan

by ilan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:27 pm

In between tasks, I have discovered:

Turn on the OSC module in Modul8
      In OSCulator click on 'Parameters'
      Click on the OSC routes tab
      Add your iPad by selecting it from the 'nearby hosts'
      Hit 'Ok'
      Go to Modul8 and giggle one of the controls in the main interface

The result is that OSCulator will add entries, the Python/Modul8 keywords relating to the controls you just used.

Now just have to figure out how to interpret those messages and send them to TouchOSC[/list]
  • pixelschubser

by pixelschubser » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:37 am

i figured that out too, i guess now you have two posibilities:

1. make a second osculator file in which the osc messages from m8 are send to touchosc

2. rename all the buttons in touch osc into the same as the osc message from m8 comes and is automatically named in osculator

3. best would be to have an midi send note modul in modul8 it would be useful for other things too if you think into audiovisual performances
  • workhouse

by workhouse » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:05 am

what is it that you are trying to do?
    send visual feedback to the ipad?
    or name the buttons? i am curious
    as i love the ipad modul8 combo
    i also have a couple of launchpads lying around
    and am interested in sending feedback from modul8
    ( theres a great feature when using a launch pad with LIVE that the button on the
    pad indicates a clip present -orange- a clip playing - green )
    would be nice to see this kind of feedback in TOUCHOSC back to the ipad

i just finished my third show using touchosc patch
    i made and monamal running the faders/4layers
    it was in a cinema ,with DJs infront of the screen
    and was great to set up some layers then go wandering into the audience
    adding fx etc showy i know :) but this is showbizniz right?.....
  • ilan

by ilan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:03 pm

Since my last posting to this thread I have started work on a completely new layout and I am working with the OSC module only.

• Before your read any further please note that I am using a beta version of the next TOSC release and its companion editor •

I can send and receive

- Assigning a slider in TOSC to the speed slider of a particular layer. When moving the speed slider in the Modul8 interface the slider in TOSC updates as well. Although nice its not exactly that useful because I would mainly want to not touch the Modul8 interface.

- I can change layer sets and when I do this as long as the exact same layer I am controlling exists the settings of that layer within that layer set that I have changed to update their settings. I can jump back to the previous layer set and those settings will be updated in the TOSC interface.

What I have not been able to do ...yet?

- Send feedback to TOSC to a series of controls. This would allow me to have a series of buttons that for example, represent which layer set that I am in. Based on feedback from Camille of OSCulator, there may be a solution for this using that application, but I have not had a chance to playber with that yet.

- I like to change colors of a layer, blue, red, yellow, white. I usually use a custom module for this because the swatches in the Modul8 interface cannot be bound to MIDI commands. I could potentially use MIDI+TOSC+OSCulator to bind the MIDI to the buttons in my module but then I would loose the feedback functionality of the OSC module.

Below is a screen grab of one of the panels. I designed it from an ergonomics point of view that I would be holding the iPad with both hands and using my thumbs to tap and move the controls. I try to keep enough spacing between each buttons so I don't accidentally push what I don't want to, a solution to a problem that I see happening when you can't feel a slider or knob.

Below the layer names are a layer on/off toggle button and the other button on the same row is the 'reset' speed button. The arrow buttons are for switching playback direction. When they are pressed the arrow is replaced with a white rectangle, enough to inform me that the layer is playing in reverse.

So this is all still a work in progress. And I also have to say that the interface I am building is very much built around how I perform with Modul8 with additional points going into accepting certain limitations. When I am done I will share my findings and files freely.
  • workhouse

by workhouse » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:34 am

so feedback is available only in the next version of TouchOSC ?

im working on a show where i can control module8 via ableton live
    and am in the first stages of programming
    heres a facebook link to a video
    to where i am up to so far
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 705&ref=mf
  • ilan

by ilan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:42 am

You can get feedback with the current version.

If you can control Modul8 using Live, why not just control Live using TouchOSC?

There are privacy settings on the clip so I cannot view it. :(
  • workhouse

by workhouse » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:26 pm

hi yes thats what i am doing now
    i just wanted to be able to have some back up controls too
    the monome and the launchpad are there as a workaround
    as i cant figure out how to send info back
    i spent the last couple of day designing a ableton/modul8 controller
    for my ipad some pages for each app 2 midi channels in LIVE
    one going thru it to the second laptop that has module8 running
    and one that controls stuff in live itself
    i'll post some movies ,when i get a chance, that you can see
    or friend me on FB
    (edited) here ya go
    http://www.vimeo.com/13491831
    i dont know how to send info back to the ipad though
    any links as to how?
  • luiscript

Another template for iPad

by luiscript » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:51 pm

I just posted today the template that I design and use with Ableton Live and Modul8. Is available for download on my blog, feel free to do anything with it, just remember where do you get it:

enjoy

http://luiscript.com/2010/10/ipad-touch ... eton-live/
  • JazzT

by JazzT » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:56 am

• Cinnamond

by Cinnamond » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:24 am

workhouse wrote:hi yes thats what i am doing now
    i just wanted to be able to ipad 2 caseshave some back up controls too
    the monome and the launchpad ipad 2 leather are there as a workaround
    as i cant figure out how to send info back
    i spent the last couple of day designing a ableton/modul8 controller
    for my ipad some pages for each app iPad2 cases 2 midi channels in LIVE
    one going thru it to the second laptop that has module8 running
    and one that controls stuff in live itself
    i'll post some movies ,when i get a chance, that you can see
    or friend me on FB
    (edited) here ya go
    i dont know how to send info back to the ipad though
    any links as to how?

If you can control Modul8 using Live, why not just control Live using TouchOSC?

There are privacy settings on the clip so I cannot view it.