Timeline
  • zavior54

Timeline

by zavior54 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Greetings....
    I am used to linear timeline setups like Flash....

How do I take a layer and use the media to make a timeline of various media coming and going at varying intervals?

My goal is to trigger midi from Ableton to do this....
    I already know how to set it up from Ableton...

Programming the midi is a little confusing in Modul8...
    At first glance, I would think that you would need multiple layers and activate/deactivate these. However, When mapping midi, you cannot simply program the on/off of all the layers so easily....
    It looks like what must be done is some sort of timeline within each layer.
  • zavior54

by zavior54 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:30 am

The best that I can do so far is to set midi notes for the inidividual media files.....

The problem with this is that there are no transitions, whatever you set for the particular layer that is highlighted affects all the clips, etc.

There has got to be a better way to do this!

I would like to be able to run through tracks and have it do what it would if I had multiple layers and turn the layers on and off....but it doesn't seem like that is what people are doing....it seems like people are sequencing within one layer - effect changes and all....

help!!!!
  • moonbase
    super8 member

by moonbase » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:09 am

Timelines, hmm - nothing yet.
    It came up in 2006 I remember, got bumped a couple of times, but since then nothing ...
    http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtop ... module/url
  • moonbase
    super8 member

by moonbase » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:12 am

And looking at those post dates and stats has made me think about timelines in general.
    Ah, I can remember the days back in 2004 when V1.0 was so exciting.
    Fetch me a zimmer.
  • zavior54

controlling layers

by zavior54 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:04 am

So where I'm at, is I've used the media directly, assigning midi notes which I'm sending from live - quick note on that....isn't it strange that midi is not shown as actual midi notes in modul8 (ex c-1, b-1) - is there a good way to understand the values 1/14, 1/16 that modul8 gives?

What I need to be able to do is control layers.
    However, in focus mode, you can only assign off/on to the layer (furthest box to the right on the layer menu) for the specific layer you are working with.

The other midi assign modes have a strange effect of exchanging media within the layer....seems simple...I just want to be able to turn the layers on and off with midi....and create layers that add/take away media over time....people are definitely doing this with this program....how are they doing it?
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:02 pm

It's up to you what you control from Ableton but there is no "out of the box" solution in the same way that there is not one way of using ableton, that's where the work is!

You could have a whole sequenced video playing from a midi track in ableton, you could trigger things both in md8 and ableton using a single midi controller. You can play with switching layers. triggering clips....

Look at modules too, you have slideshows, sequencers etc, etc

"you cannot simply program the on/off of all the layers so easily.... " - Yes you can!

Why do you say you can't control layers? In Midi mapping mode "position"that is exactly what you do, I'm not sure about the "a strange effect of exchanging media within the layer." as this does not happen. It sounds like you've lost control of your midi mapping.