Syphon
    The Midi Thief
    master

Syphon

by The Midi Thief » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:35 pm

I would be really sad if Modul8 did't get on this boat:

http://createdigitalmotion.com/2010/09/ ... aboration/

This is so awesome. Whats your thoughts on Syphon, Boris + team?
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:54 pm

As far as I can tell vade's work will open Modul8 up for real quartz support and much more. I do not see what Modul team should be doing on this though - it should work with current Module8 regardless. You can share visuals through any app that use GPU.
    vade

by vade » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:58 pm

Syphon is an opt-in framework/technology. It does not automagically publish every texture available of any all applications (there would be far too many textures, as OS X makes every window, common graphic element, shadow, dock tile, etc) or texture on the window server. It would be confusing, and there would be no way to mark what you actually wanted to see. While that might be possible it would not be quite as usable.

While this means devs probably to do a bit of work, it also means much better and more performant integration with the host app (wiser graphics decisions for one). Im not sure where Modul8 stands today on using 3rd party Quartz Composer plugins (ie, non standard patches in compositions), but if it fully supports Quartz Composer both a media source (ie, plaback) and as an effect (ie, in a filter chain somewhere), then it will just work upon release (hopefully next week ish - no promises)

Tom and I 100% want to see Modul8 fully support Syphon (and of course Quartz Composer). I can say Tom and I did just decide after some discussions with other developers that we will be moving the license to BSD (from LGPL), which may make it easier for commercial developers to adopt the technology, hopefully without compromising interoperability.

Anyway, maybe that makes it a bit more clear how it works. We have a website, http://syphon.v002.info that has some preliminary (no downloads) information.

Thanks!
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:12 pm

Modul8 users, please, please (with sugar on top) read up on this technology and ask for it to be implemented. Quartz Composer filters too.

I created a suggestion on the official Modul8 wish list, if you understand how powerful this is, please vote here:
    http://modul8.uservoice.com/forums/4888 ... ?ref=title

There is also a suggestion for full support for Quartz Composer:
    http://modul8.uservoice.com/forums/4888 ... ?ref=title

I have heard from the modul8 team earlier that it would be a lot of work implementing full QC support but how about Syphon, is this doable in the near future?
  • ilan

by ilan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:16 pm

Anton is a good friend of mine. He had notified me about this project. I can't recall exactly when but it must have been sometime in 2008. I had notified David about it and put them in touch with each other.

This project is definitely interesting for me.

The development team is now engaged in another project so dropping what they are doing right now to rush support for Syphon is not realistic. Given the stability that Modul8 provides it would be foolish to add something that would compromise this stability.

I can't answer more technically in depth issues. I leave such details to the development team and will encourage David to do so.
  • kellyj994

Re: Syphon

by kellyj994 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:44 am

The Midi Thief wrote:I would be really sad if Modul8 did't get on this boat:

http://createdigitalmotion.com/2010/09/ ... aboration/

This is so awesome. Whats your thoughts on Syphon, Boris + team?

Such a very amazing link!
    Thanks you for the post.
  • ilan

by ilan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:00 pm

I have to update at this point that Syphon is in the future of Modul8 but I cannot provide exact details as to when.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:57 pm

ilan wrote:I have to update at this point that Syphon is in the future of Modul8 but I cannot provide exact details as to when.

I thought Syphon is in coma not only with Modul8. Good that it is on the burner still.
  • ilan

by ilan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:13 pm

The Mad Mapper uses Syphon, so it is essential that Modul8 support it, or else Modul8 would not be able to send its output to the Mad Mapper.

The photos you see on the blog are of the MadMapper using Modul8's output as a texture, meaning that the version of Modul8 that is being used is a Syhpon enabled version of Modul8.

For the moment I cannot answer about Modul8 receiving a texture from another Syphon enabled app such as QC.
    leolodreamland

by leolodreamland » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:51 am

well modul8 supports qtz patches and qtz patches support syphon so go and bang those rocks together guys.
  • cycloptic

by cycloptic » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:12 pm

can we have an at least tentative date for release of 2.6.2 please?
    leolodreamland

by leolodreamland » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:11 pm

they're busy touting madmapper round the world. it looks like a standalone addon which will cost £$€???