Testing Syphon with Modul8
  • Vibber
    super8 member

Testing Syphon with Modul8

by Vibber » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:49 pm

I have been very curious to get my hands on the new Syphon technology.
    http://syphon.v002.info/

So I tested the demos to see if it could be made to work in Modul8. Unfortunately not at this point :(

There are simple explanations for this as the Quartz Composer implementation in Modul8 has some limitations. It only allows 'safe mode' patches and the Syphon plug in does not work in safe mode.
    Also in theory the FreeFrame plug in could work in Modul8, but Modul8 only supports FreeFrame 1.0 and the Syphon FreeFrame implementation is FreeFrame GL 1.5

However I have hope as I saw Ilan Katin demoing the new MadMapper tool in an online screen cast, and I am sure I heard him say that he was using a modified version of Modul8 that runs Syphon. So let's hope it ends up in a new version of Modul8 soon.

-Vibeke
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:14 pm

patience is gold :wink:
    gnoma
    super8 member

by gnoma » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:37 pm

That would be very good news!
    pls

by pls » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:17 pm

did a quick test this afternoon.. syphon is! working in combination with m8.. at least in one direction..

simple adding the client .qtz to the mediabin.. kineme core plugin should be installed.. then a kineme logo is added to your quartz composer menubar.. there go to kineme core preferences -> unsafe mode.. and enable the plugins for your preferred software..

anyway.. i also hope that we soon get ilan's special version to get the video stream back out of modul8..

greetz..

pls
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:25 pm

Great news. At least that will keep me occupied until we get full support
    gnoma
    super8 member

by gnoma » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:27 pm

pls wrote:simple adding the client .qtz to the mediabin.. kineme core plugin should be installed.. then a kineme logo is added to your quartz composer menubar.. there go to kineme core preferences -> unsafe mode.. and enable the plugins for your preferred software..

pls

I tried it in unsafe mode, but I can not see anything.
    Am I missing something? :cry:
    pls

by pls » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:30 pm

difficult to tell from a remote point..

i just tested the .qtzs provided with the Quartz Composer Syphon.plugin from vade's website.. client goes into mediabin.. server qtz should be up and running in quartz composer..

maybe a step by step debuggin is helpful.. do you get a successful communication between client and server within quartz composer?
    vade

Nice

by vade » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:29 pm

I'll have to try this, I did not think the unsafe mode from kineme core worked anymore, some initial tests a while ago failed. Ill try again. Hope it works :)
    pls

by pls » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:48 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sinsynplus/5166702209/

there should be a screenshot.. anyway.. the link works..

tested again.. same result.. everything's working fine.. image isn't as crispy as in quartz.. but hey..

just for the record.. i'm on 10.6.4.. using my most outdated piece of hardware.. a 2.33 core2duo mbpro, radeon x1600..

and correcting my last report.. it's not necessary to open quartz composer.. after dropping the client file into m8's mediabin syphon connects by just selecting the server .qtz in the finder..

hope i could help somehow..

by the way..
    thanks for this vade..

greetz from munich

pls
    gnoma
    super8 member

by gnoma » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:15 pm

and checked everything again. still not working.
    I'm on OSX 10.6.4 2x Quad core Intel Xeon 2.8 - ATI Radeon HD 4870:
    Modul8 2.6.1.
    Quartz Composer 4.0, Kineme Core 0.5.1

any idea? :D
    pls

by pls » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:57 pm

unfortunately not..

but this weekend i will do some more tests on my quad core and on the other mbp..

actually it was kind of child's play.. i wasted more time and failed in puttin a picture here in the forum..

but would be interesting if i'm really the only one who get this working..
    some more feedback? vibber? vade?
    vade

by vade » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:19 am

OK I could not get this working. As of Kineme Core 0.5.1, their "Enable unsafe patches" hack only works for whats known as Skank API, or Private API, otherwise known as reverse engineered. Syphon uses the public API, and that means the Kineme Core private API work around should not work. So.

Also, you have to go into the Kineme Core Prefs and manually try to enable unsafe patches for Modul8, and then select them from the list. You will see Syphon is not there (due to the above caveat).

pls, Are you sure you are loading the right QTZ? I think you are loading the server QTZ, which is doing regular rendering via Quartz Composer, and not getting anything from anywhere, because it has no *client*. You need to be loading the *CLIENT* qtz to receive from the outside world...

I think you got confused, and judging from your screenshot you are not getting what you think/want you are getting..
    vade

by vade » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:23 am

Either what I said above, of you have an older version of Kineme Core that enables a global unsafe patches work around. Check your plugin folder. Looking at the screenshot it indicates you do have the client loaded (you can see the file name). So now I'm a bit confused. Ill investigate more and ping Kineme folks.
    pls

by pls » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:53 pm

hey guys.. just recovered from playing an eight hours gig last night..
    but i got some more information..

my kineme core version is 0.5.1 as well.. i didn't mix up client and server files, just removed the blue background from the original server .qtz.. but vade you are right.. the unsafe mode doesn't matter at all, as i disabled everything concerning modul8.. and it still works..

actually i use to have two backup folders for patches/plugins in library/graphics containing an outdated kineme core 0.4beta.. but for testing reasons i removed them as well for just to be sure.. and it works.. in addition to this i did not just close and open up again quartz but did complete system restarts..

also checked system/library/graphics and user/library/graphics but nothing special..

after two hours of trying to get it unworking! with no success, i switched over to my 2,66 quadcore, moving my complete library/graphics folder (as i also replaced some other plugins recently..) and i have to admit that i'd been a little bit nervous.. but it's working again..

so? it seems it's not a hardware issue.. it's working on a 3 year old machine which originally came with 10.4, upgraded to 10.5 and 10.6.. and in case of my macpro a clean install of 10.6..

no idea if it matters but i'm running quartz in 32 bit mode, having both quicktime installed..

i really can't see anything unusual..
    some more suggestions?

greetz

pls
    vade

by vade » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:11 pm

Do you have QC Rehab installed, or "Universal Safe Mode"?