render setting with alpha channel
  • R-e-R

render setting with alpha channel

by R-e-R » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:24 pm

just wondering if there is a render output format/setting in modul8 that will retain the alpha channel.
    ie like the qt .png format out of after effects
    ive tried the png format out of modul8 and there isnt the option for rgb plus alpha like in after effects?
    any other ideas...i dont want to have to use a luma key to knock out the background of some of my renders that im bringing back into modul8.
  • R-e-R

by R-e-R » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:45 am

i guess it renders the .png with the alpha channel but there is a black background that gets rendered also, anyway of turning this background layer off in m8??
    cmon somebody has to know the answer to this or any other solutions would be appreciated, help a brutha outskie :D , cheers
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:53 am

Try Animation+ but .png should work as well.
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:59 am

Wait, Are you saying that you are creating a file based output or the output to another monitor/projector/beamer?
  • R-e-R

by R-e-R » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:08 pm

yes a file based output using logical record.
    when i use after effects and render an object or animation using the .png
    and then bring it/them into M8, no problem, it has the alpha background and i can assemble layers of .png files to create my scene and not have to worry about using luma keys....so when the computer starts to lag abit cause ive got lots of objects and fx going on, im trying to now render the scene out to one layer so i can bring it back into m8 and add more objects/layers etc...
    only thing is when i use the .png out of m8 it renders the black background...i can tell that it indeed it has the alpha channel and im trying to get it to render my file with no background, just clear...im using m8 2.6.1
    when i tried a test and turned down the alpha slider in the master comtrols at the bottom of m8 it started to lose the background but also faded the layers in the scene, making them slightly see thru....
    there has to be something im missing like a switch to turn the background off or something??
    any ideas or insights, anyone, would be greatly appreciated.
    i know most guys just mash layers together with the luma key and blend modes etc. but thats not really what im going for...im trying to maintain the exact color and look of the original artwork/layers.
    ill give the animation format a try like you say.
  • R-e-R

by R-e-R » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:23 pm

yeah no luck with the apple animation format either and ive tried most of the others as well.
    any of the garagecube guys wanna shed some light on this , would be great, thanks guys.
  • ilan

by ilan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:16 am

Sorry to get to this thread so late. I am pretty sure this was answered on the forum before.

It is currently not possible to render an output with an alpha channel.
  • R-e-R

by R-e-R » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:53 pm

ahhhhhhh....thanks a lot, thought i was going crazy:O)
    would love it as a feature on the next release if possible, much appreciated.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:14 pm

And stay away from Animation. This is not intended for live but for storage and sharing.
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:28 pm

I use Animation for all my video with transparency. What is better?
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:42 pm

VjKg wrote:I use Animation for all my video with transparency. What is better?

PNG with alpha is more suitable. ProRes4444 supports alpha as well and probably is the best quality. But it may stutter sometimes if your mac can not handle bandwidth.
    If you would use Resolume you could render to their exclusive DXV with alpha supported. But outside of R alpha is not supported and performance is mediocre(no Cl acceleration)
    That is about all the codec that have alpha.