• stivo

64 Bit

by stivo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Is there any new version upcoming?
    Supporting 64BIT?
  • Lupin
    garageCube team

by Lupin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:36 pm

i guess it's not a priority to do a 64bit version , it's fast enough at startup and correctly uses GPU ressources. I'd rather get a Timeline instead of a 64bit version.
    Gael Abegg Gauthey (former known as Lupin)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/abegg-gauthey/
  • nerd

by nerd » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:30 pm

it would be great to see a 64Bit version, so we could load all our clips into ram. current macbook pro could address 8GB of ram.
    so our harddrives could go to sleep and we do not have buy ssd's ;-)
  • Jaquinde

Re: 64 Bit

by Jaquinde » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:43 am

I think having Modul8 running on 64 bit would make the software beyond superb... you are limiting yourselves by not adding support. I have 16 GB on my MacBook pro that are dying to be able to use Modul8 to the fullest. Please. I bought this computer because Modul8 lagged so much on older ones no mater how many solutions I tried... but it didn't change anything to get a more powerful sytem, cause I can't use its power to make modul8 run insanely well.

If Modul8 is already amazing, imagine how insane it would be if you pushed it just a little further.

a.k.a. HaiJak
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:31 pm

memory won't affect anything to your media playback… you better have a more powerful graphic card than too much ram. It will allow you to load clips faster but if the playback stutter, more memory won't change…
  • Jaquinde

by Jaquinde » Thu May 10, 2012 6:31 am

Okaaaay

I'm just saying, not having it able to run in 64 bit mode really limits its potential.

Just sayin'

Much love.
  • bareimage
    activ8 member

by bareimage » Thu May 10, 2012 7:31 am

Why not just have 128 bit. Right?

In reality guys at Garagecube have more pressing issues that need to be adressed, like maybe later vession of python implementatgion, syphon input, better lfo.

Now regarding the timeline, if you need timeline I would sugest to check out Mullinum. What I am hoping for is the ability to have more options with logical recording. If we would be able to edit timings and order. It would be much better.
  • Jaquinde

by Jaquinde » Thu May 10, 2012 11:37 am

Why not just have 128 bit. Right?

In reality guys at Garagecube have more pressing issues that need to be adressed, like maybe later vession of python implementatgion, syphon input, better lfo.

Now regarding the timeline, if you need timeline I would sugest to check out Mullinum. What I am hoping for is the ability to have more options with logical recording. If we would be able to edit timings and order. It would be much better.

jeez, you're right Bareimage... yeah why not 256-bit? or 512? or 1024? I mean, if we're gonna be assholes, lets be assholes right?

My Activity Monitor keeps showing me spikes with the Virtual memory, chugging like crazy cause i can't afford a solid state drive, and 12 gigs of ram sitting there doing nothing because only 4 can be used... what's the point of having the option of loading full pieces of footage into ram if only a fraction of it can be used and the rest of the ram is just gonna sit there while Modul8 keeps on chugging on Photo-JPEGS at 75%, 50%, 25%, 20%, 15%, on scales ranging from 320x640 to 960x640... I DON'T EVEN USE EFFECTS, I JUST WANT MY FOOTAGE TO RUN SMOOTH. And believe me, i've been working ways of avoiding Modul8's famous Chug of Death... with 6 different laptops, each one better than the last, peaking with the best macbook pro available today.

And you tell me Modul8 chugging on live shows, like at Playboy Mansion & other Hollywood events, is not a pressing issue?

I figured how to get 12 Live Syphon inputs into Modul8 in a matter of minutes. Resolved one of your pressing issues Bareimage. I've been meaning to share it with the GarageCube crew. Would you like me to share it with you too?

At least MadMapper rocks it like there's no tomorrow.

Every client's issues are pressing issues Bareimage. Respect them. Some of them have been solved and others are yet to be solved and require more time and different amounts of attention, like this 64-bit issue. I'm not the only one that would like to see this implemented. There are others, with their own individual reasons, all of which you are insulting too. Plus, I'm sure Modul8 could gain a lot from it too, just like everything else. Use your negative attitudes somewhere else, like the chit-chat forum, your Twitter, or your Facebook wall, Bareimage.

I hate writing shit like this. Got better things to do with my time than argue disrespectful people over issues that don't matter to them & drag away from the forum's original topic.
  • ilan

by ilan » Thu May 10, 2012 1:37 pm

- Please refrain from using nasty words on the forum. If you feel offended take a deep, deep breath and get some perspective on the situation before firing away. Ideas and frustrations can be easily expressed without going into the toilet.

- For the record, in the short term it is probably best to spend the money on SSD drives and not RAM. The majority of apps out there are still 32 bit so it's really not worth the money until more apps are re-written which brings us to the last point...

- It is nearly impossible to convert a 32 bit app to a 64 bit app. To be very specific, Modul8 will have to be re-written from the ground up in order to be 64 bit. This means a completely new engine. Before one line of code is written the team will need to take into consideration a multitude of ideas, concepts, feedback and wish lists so that when we release a whole new app it will be useful for the next eight or so years from now. We are working on this and it is no short order.

In the meantime we still have a list of things that we can do now and some of these additions will be announced tomorrow evening in Geneva.
  • bareimage
    activ8 member

by bareimage » Thu May 10, 2012 3:18 pm

[quote="Jaquinde"][quote]Why not just have 128 bit. Right?

Did not mean to offend you man.

Here the rundown. As an ex programer ( I am concentrating on media art right now more) I have to tell you that loading things into ram would not change whole lot. Overal despite of the issues with no syphon input, outdated python version, no ability to do generative art MODUL8 is still has the best rendering quality and sulmuntanius clip playing (compared to Resolume arena 4 and latest VDMX) The only app that I found that has comparable results is Coge but it is still to yong to be a contender.

SSD is a must. My partner in the Glitchfairy project is using last year edition on Macbook pro with 512 of video ram. My laptop is from 2010 but with SSD my playback is much smoother.

Coming back to 64bit. Apple has big words 64bit writen on my Mac Pro, this is just a gimmick. If program is stable, does not create memory leaks, the speed of 32 bit would be as good if not better.

If you have a problem with clips here is the advise:
    If you are using all layers stop. Premix layer comps output to syphon recoder, then reimport. I would sugest also to get mad mapper so you can export and import durring shows..

Oh hmmm I think I have good advice to garagecube team. Guys! please add the ability to output to more then one destinations.
  • ilan

by ilan » Thu May 10, 2012 3:54 pm

If you are referring to Multi-output with MadMapper, this is high on the priority list.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Thu May 10, 2012 11:38 pm

bareimage wrote:.... no ability to do generative art...

. i would like to politely disagree on this point. :)

. have you tried programming modules using the painter functions (not the Painter module) ? rects, ovals, lines - all the basics... and you can even throw free frame effects on them as well !

. i'm finishing a module that pulls in Nintendo bitmap data and does neat things w/them using paint layers - http://www.npav.com/forTh.html ( example page, randomly chooses one of 128 tiles, random four color palette, random scale )

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • bareimage
    activ8 member

by bareimage » Fri May 11, 2012 4:01 am

Anomand :) your work in this regard is grate.

But I have a dream to be able to migrate my Nodebox templates to Moduls and perhaps even see LUA implementation as well as to be able to control line generation of Patch module, and blah blah blah. Please disregard my rumblings.

anomad wrote:
    bareimage wrote:.... no ability to do generative art...

. i would like to politely disagree on this point. :)

. have you tried programming modules using the painter functions (not the Painter module) ? rects, ovals, lines - all the basics... and you can even throw free frame effects on them as well !

. i'm finishing a module that pulls in Nintendo bitmap data and does neat things w/them using paint layers - http://www.npav.com/forTh.html ( example page, randomly chooses one of 128 tiles, random four color palette, random scale )

-james
    (a nomad. )
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Fri May 11, 2012 11:45 pm

bareimage wrote:But I have a dream to be able to migrate my Nodebox templates to Moduls and perhaps even see LUA implementation as well as to be able to control line generation of Patch module, and blah blah blah. Please disregard my rumblings.

I patched a Nodebox library to work in 2.3. I have it color matching (analogous, monochromatic, complementary, tetrads, etc) my layers. It works way better than my initial color matching scripts I wrote by myself. Luckily that library was easy to downgrade to 2.3, the other libraries might be way harder.
  • Jaquinde

by Jaquinde » Thu May 17, 2012 1:43 am

Did not mean to offend you man.
    bareimage

My apologies too Bareimage,

I am sorry for having come out so strongly towards you. It wasn't right of me to insult you either. Should know by now that reactions like that lead no-where. I also have to make fun of myself, quoting the famous Meme, CAPITAL LETTERS MEANS I'M SERIOUS! (lol)

I like where the conversation is leading to aswell. This is the 64 bit information i was looking for, data with the reasons as to why 64 bit would be less effective than 32. I still think that eventually there is going to be a lot to gain from 64... but at least now I understand... not really a fan of memory leaks.

For the syphon fix I use,
    1. i just opened the syphon quartz file in quartz composer and changed the output number... saved 12 files each with a different output.
    2. I then proceeded to open all my syphon apps and started outputting each app individually (not really caring what channel they were on).
    3. I then loaded all the quartz composer files into modul8
    4. I loaded 10 files, each to a layer
    5. The files would pick up at random any syphon signals they could get, and eventually all syphon signals would appear.

Hope that helps