Modul8 v2.6.2 Beta
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Mon May 23, 2011 8:00 am

It would be good if there was setting in Modul8 for setting for output to both syphon and 2nd monitor. I can see a couple of situations where would be handy. Namely being able to record some/all of a set outside of Modul8. As the internal recorder seems to suck all the cpu away making it mostly useless in a live environment. Also the possibly streaming your set via a 3rd party program to uStream/Just.in.
    Even if you just added a 3rd output menu option (Full Screen, Syphon, Full Screen + Syphon) would work.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Mon May 23, 2011 4:38 pm

lotech wrote:Holy crap. I just opened 2.6.2, along with (AT) Filter and its listing a whole bunch of FXFactory/Noise Industry plugins. Most of which seem to work. It's easily tripled the amount of CI effects on offer. (CI) NI Dots alone is worth it.
    You can install a trial of FXFactory which should give you temporary access at least to these cool fx.
    More exciting.

. just saw and tested this... :D that made my day!

-james
    (a nomad. )
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Tue May 24, 2011 4:51 am

Done !
    THX
    B.

lotech wrote:One thing, I noticed that ctrl_layer_media's description in the keyword viewer still doesn't mention the extra video input numbers. Not exactly a major but it should be corrected before you release 2.6.2 final.
    Boris * garageCube team
    leolodreamland

by leolodreamland » Sat May 28, 2011 1:53 am

boris wrote:
    Syphon input will be implemented in the next release.

B.

when will that be? i use modul8 as master (of course) so syphon output doesn't do a fat lot... maybe i'll use resolume as master...

by vanakaru » Sat May 28, 2011 8:28 am

leolodreamland wrote:
    boris wrote:
    Syphon input will be implemented in the next release.

B.

when will that be? i use modul8 as master (of course) so syphon output doesn't do a fat lot... maybe i'll use resolume as master...

I kind of share your point as well. I see no big deal sending M8 to some other app. It is done this way now for MadMapper though. What I was hoping is to send some other app visual to M8 for further mixing. Maybe it will happen eventually that all apps can send and receive, but since it is matter of enthusiasts working on it this takes unknown amount of time.
  • dreamrec

by dreamrec » Sun May 29, 2011 6:39 pm

hei //
    little quartz noob question, what is the info quartz composer needs in order to see modul8
    output thru syphon..
    i see modul8 in mapmapper/ in standalone syphon client application but i can't manage to see it thru quartz composer (i've tried syphon client.qtz)
    i need to set the correct server name / app name ?
    Merci
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sun May 29, 2011 7:28 pm

First of all you need to download and install the Syphon plugin for Quartz Composer and put it in the right place.

Example on how to send from Modul8 to Quartz Composer:

1. Open Modul8. Select the testcard from the the media set and choose Output/Syphon (or cmd+Y) to start sending to the Syphon server.

2. Open Quartz Composer (you must restart the QC after you placed the Syphon plugin in the right place).

3. From the QC Library, place a Syphon Client and a Billboard patch on the stage.

4. Connect "Image" in the Syphon client patch to "Image" in the Billboard patch. In the settings for the Syphon Client patch you have to enter "Modul8" as the Application Name. Voila! You should have Modul8 sending to QC via Syphon. You will have to set the width to 2 in the Billboard patch to cover the whole screen.

I hope this helped.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sun May 29, 2011 11:14 pm

ilan wrote:A good place to start...

http://www.idea9102.net/wp/groups/idea9 ... resources/

Exceptional of interest to me is the glitch plug-ins by Vade. If anyone has time to mess around with it will be interested to know if it works.

Since the the Core Image approach won't work with QC filters and non Core Image effects I came up with a another idea:

You could glitch (or apply any QC effect on) the whole Modul8 comp by going from Modul8 to Quartz Composer via Syphon and let QC go full screen instead of M8. I tried this approach today with the Analog glitch and it worked well. You could control the FX parameters with midi so that you don't have to jump between apps.
  • dreamrec

by dreamrec » Sun May 29, 2011 11:42 pm

it works .. i was so close .. Modul8 not modul8 as i was typing ))) :oops:
    thank you
  • ilan

by ilan » Mon May 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Syphon output is integrated into Modul8 2.6.2
    ghostofelvis100
    activ8 member

Re:

by ghostofelvis100 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:43 pm

david wrote:
    haye wrote:why on earth is full-screen output and syphon output mutually exclusive?

There is a trick to export ALL modul8 output (even the Main UI) to Syphon.

- open Terminal
    - type : defaults write com.GarageCUBE.modul8_25 syphon_always_on 1

If you want to come back to the default behavior (as exporting to Syphon uses ressources) :
    defaults delete com.GarageCUBE.modul8_25 syphon_always_on

Regards

Hmm, finally got around to trying this and it seems to do nothing.

I noticed 'modul8_25', does this reference a previous version?

Thanks

A.
    david
    garageCube team

Re: Modul8 v2.6.2 Beta

by david » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Hi,

com.GarageCUBE.modul8_25 is the Modul8 bundleId since 2.5 up to latest version. The "normal" way to use Syphon output is via the Output menu | Syphon.

The command line trick is to get all panel exported to Syphon. If Syphon is not working on your machine, you are probably using Leopard. Otherwise contact support [at] garagecube [dot] com to get support.

Regards
    David * GarageCUBE team * Modul8 developer