Mp3 Tag to Module8?
    destroke

Mp3 Tag to Module8?

by destroke » Fri May 27, 2011 10:02 pm

I wonder if there’s a way or a module to get the “mp3 tag” from a player (like itunes or winamp) and choose from it some information to send to a layer of module8

thanks in advance
  • renzhee

a

by renzhee » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:13 am

i also want to know :cry: :cry:
    destroke

by destroke » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:25 pm

come on! nobody knows? :wink:
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:15 pm

There is probably a very roundabout way to do this. I know that Ritchie Hawtin had setup Traktor to feed tags to Twitter at one point (unfortunately I don't have a link). I'm imagining you could use something like that setup to also feed M8...
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:59 am

Yeah, Gmint, didn't I provide a link for you? Search the forums!

I've displayed Twitter in Modul8 by going Twitter->Quartz Composer->Syphon->Modul8 (You will need QC Rehab installed to do this).

In theory it could be possible to write a twitter module for Modul8 using this library: http://code.google.com/p/python-twitter/. But since Modul8 is using an older version of Python (or maybe not anymore?) I am not really sure.

But the rule is that your player needs to be able to output the ID3 tags in some way for you to be able to pick it up in another application.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:15 am

Destroke, you sparked a little idea:

Going through Traktor + Twitter + Quartz Composer + Syphon is a long way to go. There must be something simpler. I thought about making a music player in QC but after a quick search I didn't find any patches that could extract the ID3 data. So then I thought what if you could make a QC audio visualizer that runs in iTunes and sends info to Modul8 via Syphon. I was a bit surprised that it works. I don't know what info you need but I have artist and song title showing in Modul8. Not at the same time though but that is more due to my lack of QC skills, it shouldn't really be a problem. I haven't gone through all the ID3 data yet but I saw genre and I think length + bit rate.

Maybe it's possible to send the ID3 tags over OSC as well if you need the data as a text string.

Anyhow. To answer your first question: yes it possible. Question is what ID3 data do you want and what do you need to do with it?
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:31 am

Here's the Richie Hawtin software from Minus that let's you tweet song data from Traktor:

http://m-nus.com/Twitter_DJ/
    destroke

by destroke » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:44 pm

The Midi Thief wrote:Destroke, you sparked a little idea:

So then I thought what if you could make a QC audio visualizer that runs in iTunes and sends info to Modul8 via Syphon. I was a bit surprised that it works. I don't know what info you need but I have artist and song title showing in Modul8.

To answer your first question: yes it possible. Question is what ID3 data do you want and what do you need to do with it?

Hi Midi Thief and thanks in advance for your suggesting

unfortunately I don't know what "QC audio visualizer" and "Syphon" are but i definitely want to know what they are to try to set it up! can you help me sending some link to download and study these components?

basically I need title, artist and year ID3 tag

thank again
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:33 am

QC = Quartz Composer a free node based programming application that comes on the Developer DVD that came with your computer. If you lost it you can download it from Apple´s developer site. Syphon is a software for sharing frames live between applications. At the moment Modul8 only officially supports output via Syphon but you can get input too if you install a plugin called QC Rehab that is available at http://kineme.com.

The visualizer I'm talking about is the audio reactive effects you can find in iTunes. You can make your own in Quartz Composer. The one I made read Song Title and Artist and fed it as an image to Modul8 via Syphon. I'm not sure if you can read the year but I will try this weekend when I also will put together a little tutorial (with an example qc comp). What ID3 tags are available is not documented but maybe all of them. You just have to figure out what they are labled. I'm sure there's a standard and I wouldn't be surprised of the key is called "year".

Google is your friend.
    destroke

by destroke » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:06 am

unfortunately i'm not a developer but i've understood the "system" that you suggested

Can i have your itunes effects that read song title and artist to try how it's show?
    just i didn't find the plugin called QC Rehab :(
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:20 am

http://kineme.net/release/OfficialAPISubpatchSupport/03
    Maybe you have to become a member to download? It should be free however.
    You will also need to download/install the Syphon Quartz Composer plugin and you should probably get the Simple Server / Client too. http://syphon.v002.info/

You will get my QC comp for iTunes but not today. It needs a few fixes that I will take care of this weekend.
    destroke

by destroke » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:16 am

I downloaded both components but I wonder if I have to copy the plugin under the folder "Plug-Ins" of modul8 or I have to do other thing.

I tried to send an itunes visualizer to a layer of modul8 but nothing happen

thanks thanks thanks :wink:
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:58 am

QC Rehab should say in the instructions (readme file?). It goes in a special place in the library folder. Syphon Client QC.qtz gets loaded in to Modul8s media library. But these are just the corner stones to make the rest work.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:09 pm

Oh, and nothing will happen with a normal visualizer. You will need to use my special Visualizer that you will get later this weekend. Mine works but I still need to fix a few things.
    destroke

by destroke » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:43 pm

The Midi Thief wrote:QC Rehab should say in the instructions (readme file?). It goes in a special place in the library folder. Syphon Client QC.qtz gets loaded in to Modul8s media library. But these are just the corner stones to make the rest work.

for QC Rehab instructions say "Place the plugin file in
    /Users/[you]/Library/Graphics/Quartz Composer Patches/" and i did so

ok also for Syphon Client qc.qtz. I tried to load it to modul8 and everything seems ok

than i also have to wait your special visualizer...i'm looking forward to it