Multiple Live Cameras (or inputs) in Modul8
  • radiofreebc

Re: Multiple Live Cameras (or inputs) in Modul8

by radiofreebc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:37 pm

lotech wrote:It is possible although you can't use the Decklink Quad to do output at all. As a result you'll need to look at a triplehead2Go or Datapath X4 to get multiple outputs.
    Based on my experiments you'll need to limit the amount of processing you're doing to keep camera sync. Using a MacMini i7 capturing in HD-SDI via Quartz and then running into MadMapper @ 720P50 the delay was minimal, but when running it through Modul8 it ended up causing a 1-2 sec delay.

I have recently built a new hackintosh with a decent GTX580 gpu and can capture a single 1080P25 feed into Resolume, layer 2 clips on top and output @ 1080 and have realtime output. Your desired 4x inputs + 3x outputs might work on spec'd MacPro or Hackintosh but probably won't cut it on a MBP. The more powerful the computer the better and I would say that in all likeliness you'll need a MacPro with multiple graphics cards to really get real time output properly.

Also currently MadMapper doesn't support multiple outputs so unless you use a TH2Go/Datapath your stuck with only 1 output anyway.

Thanks for the reply. That's disappointing. I was hoping to be able to use Modul8 as a live camera switcher with a MacBookPro. Guess not!
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Wed May 01, 2013 8:53 am

Live camera work is not something you do on your lappy. Hire proper hardware and people if you are serious. Usually there is a operator who does live mixing on dedicated hardware before you add effects(on Modul8 or other).
  • radiofreebc

by radiofreebc » Tue May 07, 2013 9:25 pm

vanakaru wrote:Live camera work is not something you do on your lappy. Hire proper hardware and people if you are serious. Usually there is a operator who does live mixing on dedicated hardware before you add effects(on Modul8 or other).

I'm well aware of what's usually needed for live camera work, but thanks for the totally useless (and patronizing) reply to my question...you must be great fun at parties. Anyways, I've been directing/producing live television for over 20 years, since the days of 3/4" tape and I know what the "industry standards" are. I currently work for a company that has multiple mobile units, and I'm usually using professional switchers/equipment/people for all our live events. The reason I asked my stupid question is that I'm interested in the potential of this software, and also interested in being able to provide small packages for clients that don't have budgets to rent out "proper hardware and people". If we only need a laptop and some I/O gear for a small show, there's no need to chase away a client who can't afford our truck (with "proper hardware and people") because we have nothing else to offer them.

But no, I don't just think you wave a magic video wand to make this stuff happen. I've spent years in mobile trucks, and I know how mobile video production usually works, I just thought we might be getting to a place where the technology is ready to take us somewhere new. You mentioned that usually there is a live mixer on a switcher before Modul8, and that's great...but how do you input/output over a single Thunderbolt? Or do you? It seems that a single thunderbolt MacbookPro won't do it (Modul8 doesn't seem to input/output over a single thunderbolt at the same time), but perhaps the retina Macbooks with two thunderbolt ports might? I'm not sure...I don't have a retina Mac to test, and I'd like to know this is possible before I go out and buy one to try out.

But, even if I could bring in a single camera signal from something like a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, and then output HDMI over the second Thunderbolt/HDMI port...that would be enough to seriously consider it as an option for people who can't afford our "proper hardware and people" for simple, low-budget shoots.

If anyone has any useful feedback, that'd be great. Again, useful feedback is what I'm after.
  • ilan

by ilan » Wed May 08, 2013 10:11 am

I have a Retina Display and I have used it with 1 x lightning intensity shuttle pro with the video going out through the other lighting port. That works really well.

I have not tested 2 x lightning intensity shuttles with 1 x video out (HDMI) BUT given that on Mac Pros with 2 x intensity cards (feeding full HD) going into Modul8 and then going out to video (VGA) does work there is no reason why the former should not work as well.

If someone has done this I certainly would like it reported here.
  • radiofreebc

by radiofreebc » Thu May 09, 2013 12:16 am

ilan wrote:I have a Retina Display and I have used it with 1 x lightning intensity shuttle pro with the video going out through the other lighting port. That works really well.

I have not tested 2 x lightning intensity shuttles with 1 x video out (HDMI) BUT given that on Mac Pros with 2 x intensity cards (feeding full HD) going into Modul8 and then going out to video (VGA) does work there is no reason why the former should not work as well.

If someone has done this I certainly would like it reported here.

Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know that one camera will work with a retina mac. Have you noticed any delay in the camera? I'm not sure using two intensity shuttles will work, as I'm not sure Modul8 will output to the intensity shuttle. I can't get it to output. Does it?
  • ilan

by ilan » Thu May 09, 2013 11:20 am

There is always a little delay involved with these devices. To be more accurate, the device itself may have zero delay, but once you get it into the computer, through the bus and on to the video card and then add an effect to the layer there is going to be some delay.

I have to admit that our use for it in the production we designed was a bit unconventional and we did not do any frame rate or delay tests. Basically we had a calligrapher drawing on paper draped over a window and the camera (Sony EX series) situated behind it. We then keyed the signal and used the calligraphy as on overlay. We had to scale the image a bit as well.

I have not tested going out from Modul8 into the Shuttle. Theoretically this should work regardless of Modul8 if you simply output from the HDMI port of the Retina Display MBP into the HDMI port of the Shuttle.

I can try to see if I can get a hold of the Shuttle from my colleague to test this out. Will take me a day or so to get it and we can end all this speculation.
  • Kinoni

by Kinoni » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Everyone, we have released an iPhone app that allows using up to four iPhones / iPods / iPads simultaneously for Syphon input. The app can be found here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/epoccam ... ?ls=1&mt=8

We can share a few promo codes on this forum in exchange for feedback. If interested just reply to this thread and fastest ones will get the codes via private message. Thanks.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:36 am

I would like to see this to work as said? I have followed the discussion in Isadora forum and all this sounds very promising.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:12 am

. Kinoni, i'm interesting in checking out your EpocCam MultiCam app... any promo codes left ? :)
  • Kinoni

by Kinoni » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks for interest, all promo codes are now taken. Based on the feedback we have received customers love the app. Looking forward for more feedback from Modul8 users.

You can test Syphon output with one camera by downloading our free iOS app:
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/epoccam-wi ... 33483?mt=8
  • suboptik

by suboptik » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:55 am

Has anyone tried (multiple) Logitech Broadcaster Wi-Fi Webcam or any other Wi-Fi (Web)Cams?

http://www.logitech.com/de-de/product/b ... am?crid=34
  • dorianne.wotton

by dorianne.wotton » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:43 pm

Hi!

I'm using 2 dazzles with videoglide to input 2 cameras into M8 (yeah, I know, it sounds "cheap". But actually, that is the point ;) )
    Both instances are recognised into M8 inputs menu and the previews are OK. But I have the same issue expressed in several topics: I do not manage to mix 2 video input at the same time.
    I tried to use syphoner as an input... but it doesn't work.

VANAKARU, it seems that you have managed and find a way to mix several video input? How did you do?
    Does anyone already faced this issue? Is there any tips and tricks?
    Any ideas on how to fix it?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !:)
  • Donleavy

by Donleavy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:46 pm

Hello all

I am re-visiting this subject here in 2016.
    Can anyone explain to me if there is a way to get multiple live cameras into Modul8?

USB connection?
    A capture card that takes multiple cameras at once and outputs them as one big image (surveillance style)?
    Something else?

Please help.
    Br, Dl
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:57 pm

. i've had some luck w/USB Playstation 3 cameras - https://vimeo.com/162215388

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • dtyjgfy

by dtyjgfy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:42 am

Umm i see. Thank you so much for your advice!