Mask in Modul8
  • bareimage
    activ8 member

Mask in Modul8

by bareimage » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:07 pm

Hello, I have a question. I have three layers and I need them to be masked by a shape. How do I do it? The mask module is not doing what it is supposed to. Do I actually need to do a shape cutout in Photoshop and save the file as PNG?

It seems to be insane. Since then I can not decrease the size of my cutout. Am I missing something. Since I was not able to figure this thing out. I am importing video from Isadora with masks applied into Modul8, but this seems to be an overkill.
  • bareimage
    activ8 member

Re: Mask in Modul8

by bareimage » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:08 pm

bareimage wrote:Hello, I have a question. I have three layers and I need them to be masked by a shape. How do I do it? The mask module is not doing what it is supposed to. Do I actually need to do a shape cutout in Photoshop and save the file as PNG?

It seems to be insane. Since then I can not decrease the size of my cutout. Am I missing something. Since I was not able to figure this thing out. I am importing video from Isadora with masks applied into Modul8, but this seems to be an overkill.

In Ressolume you can apply mask to the video, is this possible in Modul8?
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:47 pm

use the mask module, and there is a scale in it too
  • bareimage
    activ8 member

Thank you for the reply, but....

by bareimage » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:22 pm

sigmasix wrote:use the mask module, and there is a scale in it too

Let's say that my video feed from one layer is 1024 X 768, I have a shape of a person 100 X 300, I need to mask the video with that shape

My other layer has another video that has to be played in a different shape. Since mask module is on top of the entire composition, correct me if I am wrong but I can not do it.

Furthermore, mask modul is not available from the repository of garage cube and is only available from the public repository, and it seems to have issues.

Thanks
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:52 pm

if you would give a little thought to what mask actually is you would understand that what you want is rather complex to achieve with layers like modul8. So using Isadora where you can have different mask with every video you play to the projector actor is not an overkill at all.
    I have found that only viable solution for multiple masked video layers is produce these in AE with alpha and do the mixing only in Modul8. Now, if M8 had a feature ” use layer as a mask for the layer beneath” you could do a lot of fun masking only you would loose some of the layer count.
  • bareimage
    activ8 member

by bareimage » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:06 pm

vanakaru wrote:if you would give a little thought to what mask actually is you would understand that what you want is rather complex to achieve with layers like modul8. So using Isadora where you can have different mask with every video you play to the projector actor is not an overkill at all.
    I have found that only viable solution for multiple masked video layers is produce these in AE with alpha and do the mixing only in Modul8. Now, if M8 had a feature ” use layer as a mask for the layer beneath” you could do a lot of fun masking only you would loose some of the layer count.

Oh ok, so I am not insane. Well hello Isadora/Modul8, at least we have syphon :)
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:18 pm

bareimage wrote:at least we have syphon :)

Well, if only Modul8 had Syphon input. Devs say it will be with next realease 2.7. When this going to happen is anybodys guess. I feel like looking into VDMX instead and keep Modul8 as it is just for reliable show tool. I got Isadora already for creative/interactive projects. So why not VDMX for greater Quartz and Syphon support.