photoshop/modul8 workflow
  • jockety
    activ8 member

photoshop/modul8 workflow

by jockety » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:50 pm

I have a general query i cant figure out: I create a png in photoshop full screen through the projector for use as a mask in modul8, import it to modul8's global mask module (or a layer) and it doesnt seem to have the same scale properties as it did when i make the file in photoshop and allways needs tweaking to get it to fit.
    This becomes even more annoying when the process is repeated when running multiple projectors through a th2go as i cant seem to get photoshop to run in full screen mode across all 3 projectors properly which means having to make a png layer for each projector (each one being 1024x768)
    So i have 3 main questions here:

1.Why does the png scale change when imported to modul8/ am i missing something simple? Even when i change the layer scale x2 to x1 it doesnt fit.

2.Why is modul8's "output screen render" dpi so low? Would it be possible to have this feature as 300 dpi? that would make this technique a whole lot easier, as in composite multiple png's with their transparent backgrounds across all projectors in modul8 and then capture the output in a workable format to generate a usable main mask layer.

3. Has anyone else successfully run photoshop in full screen mode across 3 projectors on a th2go?
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:42 pm

I make my masks 72dpi if I want to fit. Video is 72dpi(photoJPG) as far as I know. I do not use photoshop files, but export from AE as single frame movie with technique to eliminate light colored pixels in the edge.
    As for 3rd question I do not use multiple projectors too often and do not use photoshop file as mask in anyway.
  • jockety
    activ8 member

by jockety » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Ahh, thanks for that tip Vanakaru, i shall give that a go. I'm guessing AE has a full screen mode too. I shall see how that works out of the th2go. =)
  • jockety
    activ8 member

by jockety » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:40 pm

One last question to you Vanakaru, when you render as photo jpeg theres no option for preserving alpha layer. So are you rendering white and black and then keying out the white?
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:28 pm

No, no. For masks I use PNG+(alpha enabled). You could do ProRes4444 with alpha too, but I have not used it really.
  • jockety
    activ8 member

by jockety » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:54 am

Hmm, i'm not really understanding what difference using a png generated from photoshop or AE makes, even if it is a movie file that is 1 frame long i cant see any difference in the quality of the edges.
    +i've read up a little on 72dpi video. Every link i've looked at seems to say that 72dpi doesn't relate to video atall + that its the pixel count that matters. I'm more confused now than i was before :(
    Would anyone else like to share their mask creating workflow aswell?