stupid midi controller question regarding BCD2000
  • pesh

stupid midi controller question regarding BCD2000

by pesh » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:49 pm

Hi There,

Plwase forgive me for asking this, i have almost no experience with midi,
    but, would this be a good controller for M8 v2?
    http://www.behringer.com/BCD2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG
    it looks like it could do most of what i want, assuming it would actually work with M8,
    anyone else planning on buying one?
  • skyvat
    activ8 member

by skyvat » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:59 am

The MIDI aspect would probably work fine. But it's very much geared for an A/B scratching paradigm and i don't use M8 that way. Plus the audio-specific features of this unit are going to go unused just using M8. So unless those big scratch pads are just too tempting to resist - I'd look for something else.
  • Bucharest
    activ8 member

by Bucharest » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:14 am

This is not a midi gear..........you can't use it ....there is no midi in it......
    Cristian
    The Midi Thief
    master

Still works

by The Midi Thief » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:06 pm

Bucharest wrote:This is not a midi gear..........you can't use it ....there is no midi in it......
    Cristian

As long as it's USB you can make it work. The software JunXion from dutch company Steim (www.steim.nl) will convert the USB input from the mixer to MIDI which is then detected by Modul8. I'm using Hercules DJ Console (a cheap hardware mp3 mixer) in that way. The Hercules mixer is not great itself, but it works wonders with JunXion. The Behringer mixer looks nice and steady and will probably do a much better job. However – I'm not giving any guarantees that it will work with JunXion, but it most probably will. / Mike aka Fry Up

by Guest » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:01 pm

You have to read the full manual.
    What i have undestood is that it is indeed a midi controller, but not all the controllers send midi.

AZK.
  • Bucharest
    activ8 member

by Bucharest » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:48 pm

OK............IF YOU LOOK TO THE 3 D IMAGE THAT IT IS ON THAT WEB SITE ON THE BACK OF THE UNIT THERE IS NO MIDI CONNECTION,SO YOU CAN READ ANY MANUAL YOU WANT,............... I AM SORRY YOU CAN'T FIND ANY MIDI IN IT.THE UNIT LOOKS GREAT AND IT IS GOING TO BE CHEAP COMPARING WITH OTHER CONTROLLERS BUT AT THIS TIME BEHRINGER IT IS NOT OFFERING THIS WITH A MIDI IN IT I CALLED THEM AND THERE IS NO MIDI,AFTER TALKING TO THEM THEY SAID MAYBE THEY WILL COME UP WITH A NEW ONE WITH MIDI IN IT ,BUT WHEN ?.......THEY DID NOT WANT TO SAY...... WHEN........
    Cristian
  • Bucharest
    activ8 member

by Bucharest » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:09 pm

• pesh.

by pesh. » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:33 pm

thanks for all the replys,
    yup, it looks like it's probably not going to be the best controller on the market,
    but, showing my ignorance here, i thought that these type of controllers, BCD, BCF, Edirol etc, had a midi interface built in, so you could connect them to a powerbook via USB, and you were good to go without any other interfaces needed, am i barking up the wrong tree?
    how would you go about connecting a BCF2000 up?
    thanks again
  • snt

by snt » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:50 pm

the bcd2000 manual (page 13) sez:
    "All control functions of the BCD2000 are sent to your computer as MIDI data. ... Although the BCD2000 is not equipped with the "classic" 5-pin MIDI connectors, it still uses the MIDI protocol for data transmission via USB. Thus, the BCD2000 can also control third-part software, as long as it is able to "speak" MIDI. In turn, the BCD2000 can receive MIDI data and use them to show the switching status of the button LEDs."

manual available at:
    http://www.behringerdownload.de/BCD2000 ... _Rev_A.pdf

sam
  • Bucharest
    activ8 member

by Bucharest » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:18 pm

The best thing to do is to buy one and see if it is going to work ,if not ,just return it.I hope it is going to work because this it is a cheap and good product.
    Cristian

by Guest » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:51 pm

Bucharest, chill out dude! they DO do midi, you've been told wrong. no midi connectors, just over USB.

question is, when are they gonna actually get round to shipping the things- the available date has been pushed back and back and back.
  • Bucharest
    activ8 member

by Bucharest » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:31 am

Wake up buddy,it is more than a month since my last post so take it easy.First ,that unit it is comming with windows software and drivers but nothing for mac so it is possible not to work on a mac because there are no drivers for it.Maybe I am wrong ,like I said it will be better to buy one and try it to see if it's going to work or not.Anyway I found something similar for scratching and it can be used with module 8 ,please check this link http://europe.hercules.com/showpage.php ... 00&b=1&f=1
    Cristian
  • Wayne

Much better option is...

by Wayne » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:09 pm

http://www.behringer.com/BCR2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I've ordered one for working with Ableton Live and I think it will work well for Modul8 as well. You really, really cannot have too many knobs for Modul8.

Plus, it's available now, not vaporware.

Now that I think of it, I'd like to see Modul8 MIDI shortcuts that would allow you to twirl a dial and have that scroll through layers (there are 10) and tabs (when using A/B split there are 8 top, 8 bottom, plus 6 for the media palette).
  • sir.phit

by sir.phit » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:09 am

i have a bcd3000
    cheap and very effective.. and to whatever dude was flaming out up there
    MIDI IS A SIGNAL TYPE!
    u do not NEED to have midi ins and out for the code to be sent
    usb and firewire work too
    PERIOD
    u can think whatever u want to think but i know what i know and i have my controller midi mapped to a few different programs already
    i was actually hoping someone might have a map for modul8 so i can test it out and make it more how i'd like it but i suppose i have to settle for making my own MIDI MAP

peace guys
    oh ya and p.s. the controller actually is a very nice little unit
    i'm one of those old school vynil dj's who just recently got trapped into the world of digital mixing and if serato's not around i'll use my bcd with traktor, it's not vynil but it's effective, affordable and very easy to pack around(i wouldnt go do full on gigs with it but house parties and buddies bdays those kind of things i would rather have an easy pack in and out controller then my decks and records. i dont need to pack around a hundred pounds of gear to play a long set i dig that.
    let u know how i find it is with modul8 later on if i remeber to but i dont c it being anything less then beautifull since it has five sliders the two jogwheels(which i'm hoping should be able to be sensitive enough to work for the scratch modul) and tons of knobs...
    did i mention it was CHEAP AS HELL?
    also a suprisingly well built thing for being a behringer thing... in fact i have recently stopped calling it a toy and started considering it gear
    ;)
    peace
  • sir.phit

by sir.phit » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:45 am

ok after mapping it and playing around this is what i found about mixer/midi consoles...
    1-the led's have cc values and some of them r the same as the faders/knobs etc
    however certian aspects like assigning faders for button controls makes for fast flashes of on and off which can be pretty cool
    2-the jog wheel works for the scratch modul fairly well, however i have found the scratch modul comes makes the clip start at the begining(also only one of the scratches really worked with my jog wheel)
    3- most of the buttons make it only stay on as long as u hold them some of them stayed on after releaseing the button and i couldnt find a way to set different peramitors for buttons etc...

all in all i give it bang for the buck realisticly!!!
    things worth $180 new
    i payed $90

however i'm thinking for the amount of actual controls on it i'd like to be able to run two controllers or else would perfer to use a unit like the Xponnent by m audio
    more knobs and buttons(but also more leds which could be a bad thing unless they where smart enough to give different values to the leds then the knobs etc have)

hope that helps anyone whose in this style of a personal debate

over all assesment stoked on having the control unit workin with modul8!!!
    :twisted:

EDIT: it took me maybe 20 minutes tops to get things mapped out i had a slight pain in the arse that made it take longer but that was all user bs with trying to find the cheat sheet i have for what my cc values r on the unit itself :oops: